Is the song and Video for 2006's Stupid Girls by P!NK. ****** and anti feminist.

Spicechinodiva

In 2006. P!NK returned to the music scene in a very classic Way for her.

She's known for her commentary on society and what she deems is taboo.

By this time the rise of Paris Hilton, Jessica Simpson,  Lindsay lohan and blond bimboness. Scared Pink. So what did she do to write about "the disease is growing and no hope for a cure".

She wrote Stupid Girls.

A modest top 20 hit for Pink in the US. Radio airplay was moderate. 

But the video caused all types of controversy from Mocking people who do breast implants both surgery and to lure men, The lindsay Lohan car crash. Mocking people who get fake tan to the point they are orange. Mocking hip hop girls who should be president. Also mocking fun of why girls do eating disorders. 

Eating 3,000 calories is so unsexy. To the Paris hilton tape. Which when she won the VMA for best female video. With former friend Nicole richie. Pink mocked how Paris acted and talked while accepting her award.

Oprah asked why she wrote the song.

She replied simply but cocky.

"I LIVE IN LA"

several articles have pointed out that the video and song has aged horribly and is very ****** and anti feminist to the girls that she portrayed. 

It should be noted. Pink hasn't performed this song since she had Willow in 2011.

Do you agree that the message aged horribly and is tasteless?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t think that it’s tasteless. I think something to consider with looking back in time is context. In the mid 00’s, the bimbo army was strong. It was considered cool to be a hot moron. In some ways, much has changed but also very little. We still do idolise idiots but ..baby steps. 

I think Pink made points by making fun of the people that were idolised. Paris was famous for being rich and making a *** tape. Jessica Simpson asked on a hugely popular reality show if tuna was chicken (iconic). To be idolised, it seemed you had to be a thin, white girl with tonnes of money and very few thoughts. Pink was anti-all that and made it clear that she didn’t want to be like them, she wanted to be herself and that it was okay for any of the other girls that felt alienated by these thin, pretty bimbos that you didn’t have to be like them.

I think feminism has come a long way since Stupid Girls was released and the song and video don’t really work these days. Out of context, it just looks like a woman tearing down women unprovoked, but at the time it really was a statement. Women are so much more than being blonde, tan and thin and its been a battle to get to a place where all kinds of women are celebrated for more than just being an dumb, pretty piece of meat. 

I can see why she doesn’t perform it anymore though. It not her best work anyway so it isn’t missed. 

Archived