Can Demi Lovato Make A Comeback?

15 minutes ago, HauntedCircus said:

Yeah, but Hilary Duff is iconic at this point. Could Demi ever achieve icon status? :peasants:

Maybe in your country or generation. :demi:But there is one thing to keep in mind: Lovato is MUCH MORE internationally successful than Hilary. :chrissy: She has world tours in the late 2000s and there are many girls who follow her. On a smaller scale than its previously named rivals.

Hey, what if it's a Pink class? It may be that part of his career consists of normal impacts but prolonged success. It is a considerable option :cardi:

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, SpearsSpearsBrit said:

Maybe in your country or generation. :demi:But there is one thing to keep in mind: Lovato is MUCH MORE internationally successful than Hilary. :chrissy: She has world tours in the late 2000s and there are many girls who follow her. On a smaller scale than its previously named rivals.

Hey, what if it's a pink class? It may be that part of his career consists of normal impacts but prolonged success. It is a considerable option :cardi:

Nah. Demi is good but she ain't no Pink.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

There has been a question in my head that I have been asking myself "Can Demi Lovato Make A Comeback?" I'd like to discuss what fellow exhaler's opinions are and also share mine.

First off, when I think of Demi I also think of Selena Gomez, Miley Cyrus and Ariana Grande. They all started out around the same time but obviously Miley hit the jackpot before any of them. Miley Cyrus continues to enjoy moderate success, Selena Gomez is a pretty successful artist and I honestly thought she would have disappeared before Revival and even after that I was surprised. Which brings me to Ariana Grande...I feel like there's always a "lane" for women to fill. The *** Symbol, The Voice Symbol, The Bad Girl. I feel that Demi was supposed to fill the "Voice" lane but sabotaged herself with her addiction. Instead of Demi being the "voice" we got Ariana Grande and now she is massively successful. It's slightly odd that Ariana came out a few years after Demi was around (just saying). 

Another thing I have read are interviews about how awful Demi is to work with and I have seen how nasty she can get on the internet. Yes, people have been nasty to her and yes folks have said she is great to work with too, but I am wondering if she has burned too many bridges? I ask this because Scooter Braun came to the rescue then Demi debuted "Anyone" which charted at 34 on the hot 100...so I am assuming its a buzz single. Still good for no video and for her being gone since 2017. She dropped "I Love Me" with a music video and it has tapped out at number 18 on the hot 100. I am scratching my head as to why because I think song is an anthem and is quite relatable. Yes, charts "don't necessarily matter" but at this point it's going to matter for her. Demi has scored one number one album in the US out of six solo albums and has four hot 100 top ten singles (no number one single??). Her peers are doing A LOT better.

At this point it is a make or break for Demi. That is my opinion. Maybe the Rona derailed her anthem "I Love Me" or maybe the general public has kind of lost interest in her music? What's your opinions? 

sorry not sorry GIF by Demi Lovato

demi-comeback.jpg

Here's my take on this. Music and it's landscape has just changed so, so much over the past 10 years. Demi, Miley, Selena, Ariana ....... They all fit into a piece of that puzzle, just like the Taylor's, Beyonce's, Katy's, Lady Gaga's, and Rihanna's did in the mid 10's, and the Britney's, Christina's, Jessica's did to turn the millennium. There's a shelf date on most "Pop-stars". 

In my opinion, pop-stars have two options. Either you fade into an iconic attraction, one where people continually pay to see nostalgia, OR you stay marginally relevant over time by occasionally dropping something ground-breaking and fresh. Let's talk Examples...... 

First, let's examine Britney, and Janet Jackson.... Old & New if you will. Both have iconic videos, albums, singles..... yet nothing current manages to stick. You know? Though fans find things to be groundbreaking and obsess over these women, the general public just doesn't quite find relevance. We were all here for Britney's return from the edge in 2008, and Janet's return a few years back, but then the pace fizzled. HOWEVER.... You place Britney or Janet in a place like Vegas, and people show up in hoards to watch the classics. I feel Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, Gwen Stefani and others fit into this category too. Again, NOSTALGIA. 

Then you've got pop ARTISTs like Madonna and Lady Gaga. Again, old and new. 40 years into her career, Madonna puts out mediocre albums for the most part these days, BUT, then out of the blue there will be that groundbreaking record like 'Ray of Light', 'Confessions on a Dance Floor' or 'Madame X', that manage to re-invigorate the public interest. Madonna's last 3 tours, and even the smaller Madame X Tour have sold better and faster than any of the young women in the game.... again, 40 years in. Lady Gaga is the same way.... each album has just been SO different than the last. Gaga re-invents her self constantly. And again, tours sell out instantly, all over the globe.  

You've also got the ones that don't necessarily always re-invent the wheel, but are just SO GOOD at what they do, that the general public always eats it up. Taylor Swift, Adele P!nk and Beyonce come to mind. Each of these women owns their wheelhouse. Both Taylor Swift and Beyonce started with standard recipes, then evolved those recipes into something that would ultimately keep the public's interest.... This makes them socially relevant. Taylor went pop, Beyonce embraced her own culture and became a warrior for her community, and they both manage to sell records for days and fill Stadiums around the globe. (Adele is another who has started to slowly evolve, and if you ask me who I'm most excited for next, it wouldn't be Demi, Miley or Ariana.... I'm dying to see how Adele re-emerges this fall.)

Lastly, you've got that devastating spot, where pop-stars just disappear. Katy Perry is an excellent example here. Katy is so unique, such a beautiful person, but she's made the same record back to back, followed by a left field swing that just didn't stick with the public. What she does NEXT , will matter. Her next album has to be something groundbreaking... her  'Ray of Light' if you will. The public needs to remember why they loved Katy Perry so much... and that love needs to deeper than a 'Teenage Dream'.

My point in all this? There are so many women out there flooding the radio waves, and that's an AMAZING thing to see. This last decade's stars like Demi, Miley, Selena, Ariana.... they've all had THAT MOMENT in their career. The sweet spot, if you will. But Miley consistently contradicts herself, Demi consistently puts herself down and dogs on her previous work, Selena disappeared off the face of the earth, and Ariana has made 4 different records, none of which until 'Thank U, Next' gave us ANY CLUE who she was an artist. 

So Demi? Ultimately,  I  agree with the thread author. I'm just not sure she has what it takes to make a staple moment, and re-invent herself, because I     don't know that she ever really invented herself to begin with. The whole self-empowerment after falling apart between each album era is getting old.... And I  unfollowed her on social media in 2015, because it honestly just started to feel like she was using it to get her own inner rage out, and it wasn't a good look.  I  feel like we all know Demi can SING. But I  also feel we have yet (again, 5 albums in) to really understand who Demi is, or receive any real ART from her. And that hurts to admit, because frankly, I    could make a playlist of about 15-20 Demi Lovato songs and listen to that **** all year long. She's got the voice, she's got the talent... I'm just not sure we're going to see her back in a socially groundbreaking place. 

I  guess time will tell.

Also, disclaimer... If I  forgot your favorite top 40 pop/star, it wasn't intentional. I'm not saying any of the women I    mentioned reign supreme over the others.... I'm just making points of how their careers have interjected. Let's not start a war here. 😂

• Like 5

she's less xtina and more jessica simpson sort of tbh

ariana & britney = incredibly hard workers that drive the current trends in pop music. they get the most attention, both seem like very high strung people that have complex relationships with what they do. both get criticized pretty heavily and picked apart yet also have the most devout, aggressive followers and the biggest cultural presence. brit gets criticized for lip syncing, ariana gets criticized for not having particularly impressive writing skills. generally range from very competent music to amazing, trend setting music

xtina & miley = both huge at their onset, then decided to go hardcore *****y in their image. they get used as punchlines a lot but don't retain the same kind of rabid stans (not that there aren't some very aggressive stans in both) when compared to ariana and britney. additionally, they released their first music prior to the first duo (though the gap between brit and xtina is less than a year whilst the other gap is like 5 or 6 years lmfao). their music drew huge focus early on; once they fall off they just kind of fall off without anyone saying much. they can usually make great to amazing music but can also churn out a minority of songs that are awful

selena & p!nk = ok this one is wild and p!nk was a v different artist than Brit and Xtina but she debuted around the same time and was hugely successful and fits. but anyway, they both have sort of lowkey, yet inexplicably successful careers. it's like they don't ever really fall off even when they don't have as many people checking for them as the others, yet they also have a pretty dedicated and positive fanbase with what seems like less fighting outside forces to defend them. their music tends to be either fantastic or entirely sleep inducing but rarely unlistenable 

demi & jessica = aka relevant but only a little bit. they appear to be more legitimate rivals for the other three at the debut due to their good singing skills yet it becomes apparent soon that they just aren't it. both just can't seem to muster either an omnipresent but more lowkey stanbase (sel and p!nk), rabid devoted fans (brit and ari) or a reduced but still very devout fanbase (xtina and miley); they get a fairly small number of people that love them, but as time goes on, they don't retain much cultural relevance and more often than not are looked upon with (often excessively) negative eyes. their music is usually middling with some god awful and some amazing sprinkled in.

in terms of singing style this obvi does not line up (2 and 4 kind of do imo but not 1 and 3) but like...w/e it's late

anyway thanks for reading my breatheheavy saturday night thesis statement! xo

There’s always a possibility, but I don’t think it’s happening for her right now.she could have had a huge comeback I think, but she picked the wrong songs. Anyone just isn’t very good... the chorus is just her yelling anyone over and over. Not to mention she’s already done so many songs that are similar... skyscraper, warrior, sober, etc. I Love Me is ok, but it really just seems like she’s trying to be like Lizzo... 

I was never really interest in her other than a song here and there until the confident album, and aside from the singles that album was still a little lackluster. Tell me you love me was an amazing album, but aside from sns it kinda got paid dust. Then there’s just the fact she’s not like able at all . Xtina wasn’t very likeable as a person either, BUT she didn’t have as much competition AND benefited from being the 2nd girl to come out. From what I remember Miley became popular first, then Selena, and them last Demi. I dunno, at the end of the day, when I’m thinking about pop stars she’s not one that comes to mind when there’s so many better ones out there. I also can’t think of anything outside camp rock/sonny without a cause or whatever her show was that she’s done beside music. Most of the other girls I can remember a movie or some other business venture/talent they have. Miley has done several movies, been a judge on the voice, black mirror, an advocate for animals and LGBTQ, plus I hear about her romantic life. Selena still does movies, produces stuff like 13 reasons why, does lots of fashion stuff, was the most followed person on IG for a while, and she’s dated big celebs like Justin Bieber and the weekend. And Ariana has shown she’ll probably do some broadway/musical stuff in the future, fashion trends, all her personal life drama. They’re all memorable.... Demi’s just not memorable for much besides being an addict and having a good voice 

Will get hate for it, but she lacks likeability, ***kability and playing the victim all the time but on the other hand being the one who has a history of being a **nt to fans and on the internet doesn't help either.

She always seemed very full of herself, self centered and too focused on make up and such. Sometimes I also question her education.

I'm following her on ig and it hasn't helped with likeability at all. At least not for me.

Also she doesn't seem to write or produce herself or be in the process of it that much and it shows in the choice and outcomes of her singles.

JoJo or Tove Lo on the other hand are examples I'm rooting for big time (even though they most likely will never get big and just be guilty pleasure).

They produce, they sing, they write, they contribute to music even though it often isn't their own and lift up new talents or give advice on ig.

The new generation of pop *****es will be the ones who can be badass on stage but humble off stage and are reasonably educated.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block