Can Demi Lovato Make A Comeback?

There has been a question in my head that I have been asking myself "Can Demi Lovato Make A Comeback?" I'd like to discuss what fellow exhaler's opinions are and also share mine.

First off, when I think of Demi I also think of Selena Gomez, Miley Cyrus and Ariana Grande. They all started out around the same time but obviously Miley hit the jackpot before any of them. Miley Cyrus continues to enjoy moderate success, Selena Gomez is a pretty successful artist and I honestly thought she would have disappeared before Revival and even after that I was surprised. Which brings me to Ariana Grande...I feel like there's always a "lane" for women to fill. The *** Symbol, The Voice Symbol, The Bad Girl. I feel that Demi was supposed to fill the "Voice" lane but sabotaged herself with her addiction. Instead of Demi being the "voice" we got Ariana Grande and now she is massively successful. It's slightly odd that Ariana came out a few years after Demi was around (just saying). 

Another thing I have read are interviews about how awful Demi is to work with and I have seen how nasty she can get on the internet. Yes, people have been nasty to her and yes folks have said she is great to work with too, but I am wondering if she has burned too many bridges? I ask this because Scooter Braun came to the rescue then Demi debuted "Anyone" which charted at 34 on the hot 100...so I am assuming its a buzz single. Still good for no video and for her being gone since 2017. She dropped "I Love Me" with a music video and it has tapped out at number 18 on the hot 100. I am scratching my head as to why because I think song is an anthem and is quite relatable. Yes, charts "don't necessarily matter" but at this point it's going to matter for her. Demi has scored one number one album in the US out of six solo albums and has four hot 100 top ten singles (no number one single??). Her peers are doing A LOT better.

At this point it is a make or break for Demi. That is my opinion. Maybe the Rona derailed her anthem "I Love Me" or maybe the general public has kind of lost interest in her music? What's your opinions? 

sorry not sorry GIF by Demi Lovato

demi-comeback.jpg

• Like 3

She has a great voice but I don't think she's going anywhere with her musical directio :tiffdrink: A few high profile collabs could work but then that's it :tiffdrink: She should try being a judge on a singing competition or something like XFactor US 2012 because that makes big bucks :tiffdrink:

Ariana got as huge as she did because there was also a public interest attached with her. Her life was always in the public eye and paparazzi also eyed her :tiffdrink: and once the momentum built up till it's peak with the Pete Davidson break up and Mac Miller's death (RIP❤️), thank u, next was the cherry on top of the cake :tiffdrink:

I don't see Miley making a big comeback either, considering how Younger Now performed but we never know she's always been relevant :tiffdrink:

The real question is, can Katy Perry make a comeback? :tiffdrink: We'll see to it this summer along with the baby :tiffdrink:

• Like 7

The shade of it all hahaha. I wanna stay on topic :) and hate (cough) I mean talk about Katherine later. 

I don't know why I even labeled it a "comeback" what Britney did with Blackout/Circus, Mariah did with The Emancipation of Mimi and Madonna did with Ray of Light & subsequently Music are COMEBACKS. Demi hasn't been on "top" so I mean...she either needs to get it together and deliver a number one or...its kind of over for her as a music artist. 

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

The shade of it all hahaha. I wanna stay on topic :) and hate (cough) I mean talk about Katherine later. 

I don't know why I even labeled it a "comeback" what Britney did with Blackout/Circus, Mariah did with The Emancipation of Mimi and Madonna did with Ray of Light & subsequently Music are COMEBACKS. Demi hasn't been on "top" so I mean...she either needs to get it together and deliver a number one or...its kind of over for her as a music artist. 

Maybe a Collab we would never expect that would create so much buzz could finally help. Maybe Demi x Taylor :tiffdrink: I don't see her doing that solo since Sorry Not Sorry was the best she could do.

8 minutes ago, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

Maybe a Collab we would never expect that would create so much buzz could finally help. Maybe Demi x Taylor :tiffdrink: I don't see her doing that solo since Sorry Not Sorry was the best she could do.

Eww not Taylor lol. I need a *** anthem from Demi. Maybe something like that one song from Ari, Nicki and that other chick or Lady Marmalade. 

Honestly, maybe Demi, Dua Lipa and Doja Cat could do a cool collab? I honestly don't curr and threw those together as an example. Demi is rich and I need unemployment :uknowit:

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

Eww not Taylor lol. I need a *** anthem from Demi. Maybe something like that one song from Ari, Nicki and that other chick or Lady Marmalade. 

Honestly, maybe Demi, Dua Lipa and Doja Cat could do a cool collab? I honestly don't curr and threw those together as an example. Demi is rich and I need unemployment :uknowit:

But there's always this Demi and Taylor feud so I thought that would fuel the song :tiffdrink:

• Haha 1

I upvoted your thread bc it was quality, not bc I like Demi lol. 

I feel like she’s that artist that manages to have 1 hit every like 1-3 years. She always goes under the radar and then she’s back with another popular song. And every era is a ‘comeback’ due to her **** addiction and other personal problems, which is sad tbh. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if she pops up again. 

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, warioaddams said:

She's going to be the Xtina of this generation. A few hits but forgotten in the future.

demi lovato GIF by Christina Aguilera

I would agree with that statement if Demi had the impact that Xtina had during her relevancy in pop music, but at this point Demi is known for her constant addiction issues and not for her music. I'm not trying to shame her in anyway because she DOES have a beautiful voice and can possibly score a hit this time around. I do think she has to release something different though. It's clear that the GP feels for her but are tired of her pity party...

I mean, if she plays her cards right then yes, she can. She could have made a strong comeback tho in 2018-2019. She should have done what Britney did with the starting of the circus era (her comeback record). Demi’s documentary was a huge thing (even I watched it when it came out)when it premiered in YouTube. Same like for the record, it had 5 million viewers who watched its premiere, it was a huge thing to do. So now, people understand both of their situations and what they went through. So like how her team released Circus a month after the documentary, Demi’s team could have released a song that had the power Andy potential to be a huge hit (like sorry not sorry), and people would take it and make it a huge hit. Then Demi would release her album and it would be a huge era and album. So that was definitely one missed oppturnity in Demi’s career for boosting of her status

• Like 5

I think that i love me is really good song. Did she promoted it? Other than video? And also i do respect her working and being open about addiction but some times it just feels like it's not enough. She has great voice but we also know Ariana who is also great singer. Then Xtina Aguilera has amazing voice. So Demi being great singer is just not enough i guess. She has to show smth special and unique that will make ppl want to listen her music. With so many singers out there making fun dance music ppl have a lot of options and it must be hard for her. She strugles, she tries to deliever but at some point maybe it is just too hard for her to compete with other girls especially bc of her addiction and bulimia.

• Leader
2 hours ago, warioaddams said:

She's going to be the Xtina of this generation. A few hits but forgotten in the future.

demi lovato GIF by Christina Aguilera

Low-key feel the same (sales-wise). BUT I think she will be a name that stands the test of time. 

She did the SB national anthem and a comeback performance at the Grammys and I feel like the GP was like 'k.' 

I love her though. Always rooting for her and will continue to support. :demi:

• Like 2

Ok first of all, in order for you to comeback, you have to have something to come back to. Demi Lovato was never as popular as her contemporaries a.k.a. The Ex Acts. She has always been Mandy Moore (in terms of popularity but we all know she's really the Xtina of her generation, strong pipes, pitchy, yelling, nasty attitude). :thelook:

Fyi I like Demi. I stan all popstars, including her. But i'm just saying, the gp did not lose interest in her or whatever. She has always been the weakest performing of the Ex Acts. Demi only has 4 Hot 100 Top 10s and 3 of those barely cause they were two #10s and one #9. She's never had a Top 5 hit. Moreover, all her top tier songs only peak on their debut week sans Sorry Not Sorry, which consistently climbed the charts and had longevity. It's her only true bonafide hit. Furthermore, she's the only Ex Act to not have a #1 single. Miley, Ariana, and Selena all have one. I know Selena only recently had hers but unlike Demetria, Selena actually had true bonafide hits prior to her getting a #1 single via Lose You to Love Me. She has 7 Top 10s as a solo artist including 3 Top 5s and 1 #1. All of them had longevity on the Hot 100 and were not front loaded first week peaks unlike Demi's Skyscraper and Heart Attack (a bop). :tiffdrink:

Also, I wanna say that this does not reflect on the quality of her music/albums and her talent because I actually love her self titled album, Confident, and Tell Me You Love Me (my most fave record of hers). :mattafact:

I think she's just really unlikeable for reasons you already mentioned. Not everyone who's 'talented' gets to superstardom. There's a lot of underrated D List platinum selling artists out there who do not get recognition. But this just shows that being popular and famous and a star doesn't always have to mean being talented. That's where (borrowing from Rupaul here) charisma, uniqueness, nerve, and talent come in. Obviously, Demi only has two of those. But I'll let you figure out which ones. :barbie:

• Like 5

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block