Lemonade is overrated [Opinion]

I think Lemonade did its job: make a cultural impact. The fact that SNL parodied "Formation" just gave attention to the fact that Beyoncé's music prior to this album was focused for the mass media. With Lemonade, it seemed like many radio stations were reluctant to play this song, providing a narrative whether being black is enough for the general public. While I don't disagree with your comments (Mrs. Carter seems to be following the same routine with her music, it's becoming repetitive), I do believe it's a solid album to listen to once in a while.

Some of my favourite tracks inlcude:

Don't Hurt Yourself
Sandcastles
Freedom
All Night
Pray You Catch Me

See the source image

Love Drought, my personal favourite track

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, myonlywish said:

I think Lemonade did its job: make a cultural impact. The fact that SNL parodied "Formation" just gave attention to the fact that Beyoncé's music prior to this album was focused for the mass media. With Lemonade, it seemed like many radio stations were reluctant to play this song, providing a narrative whether being black is enough for the general public. While I don't disagree with your comments (Mrs. Carter seems to be following the same routine with her music, it's becoming repetitive), I do believe it's a solid album to listen to once in a while.

Some of my favourite tracks inlcude:

Don't Hurt Yourself
Sandcastles
Freedom
All Night
Pray You Catch Me

See the source image

Love Drought, my personal favourite track

Since when did Beyonce become black, I thought she was white. 

Coming to a theater near you, the scariest movie ever made..

The day Beyoncé revealed she's black, not white

• Haha 3
On 4/11/2020 at 2:58 PM, Blackout2006 said:

Lol no that album was solid. It was cohesive in its own and gives a experience to the ears. Let’s not forget she was talking about black females also in the self titled record (no angel), how she talks about society’s crappy standards (pretty hurts, arguably her best ballad besides sandcastles:wontcry:), female empowerment with flawless and so much more. Now that’s what u call outstanding.

plus, Beyoncé outsold lemonade

She makes a song about society beauty standards but then she fully conforms to them so... I can't take her seriously. She's always impeccably dressed, made up and styled. A body to die for. She's always perfect and  happy to be so. 

She is always pretty like people expect her to be being a superstar. What's she doing to challenge these standards? With facts I mean... Nothing. A song is easy.

She is no feminist or revolutionary black woman. She keeps perpetuating the idea a woman has to be pleasing her man and deal with cheating by competing with other females for the male's attention. 

Making songs about how you suffer but then you keep the status quo ain't changing anything. 

She's the embodiment of a typical Christian black woman IMO. It's not bad. It's not good. It's what she is. She's not obliged to be a feminist anyway. What I'm criticising here is the lack of consistency. 

I cannot understand a woman who still takes on her husband's name when married and wants to appear a feminist.

Why? Why does this utterly controlling tradition stil exist in first world countries? That's saying you're your husband's property. For me she's Ms Knowles. Not Mrs Carter. 

I'm from Italy; I'm also a woman and you'd think in a country that's pretty traditionalist, where the Vatican is an influence, we'd have that even more but no. In my country women don't typically take on their husband's name when they marry. Thankfully. 

I think Lemonade is interesting in the way it's meant to also speak about broader issues and it deserves praise for that but to be honest I don't find any of the songs catchy or entertaining enough to give them a second listening. The songs have no usual melody or a typical structure. 

It seems to me it was made to make critics say how creative and socially aware Beyoncé is more than to make music that's entertaining to listen to.

You praise it for this and that and that's fine and it's certainly a purposeful piece of art but honestly, deep down, how many really do find these songs so good that they can't  stop listening to them?

• Love 2
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, Glittilicious said:

She makes a song about society beauty standards but then she fully conforms to them so... I can't take her seriously. She's always impeccably dressed, made up and styled. A body to die for. She's always perfect and  happy to be so. 

She is always pretty like people expect her to be being a superstar. What's she doing to challenge these standards? With facts I mean... Nothing. A song is easy.

She is no feminist or revolutionary black woman. She keeps perpetuating the idea a woman has to be pleasing her man and deal with cheating by competing with other females for the male's attention. 

Making songs about how you suffer but then you keep the status quo ain't changing anything. 

She's the embodiment of a typical Christian black woman IMO. It's not bad. It's not good. It's what she is. She's not obliged to be a feminist anyway. What I'm criticising here is the lack of consistency. 

Let's not forget the song Nasty Girl with Destiny's Child where they were ****-shaming basically. And no, it wasn't irony. 

I cannot understand a woman who still takes on her husband's name when married and wants to appear a feminist.

Why? Why does this utterly controlling tradition stil exist in first world countries? That's saying you're your husband's property. For me she's Ms Knowles. Not Mrs Carter. 

I'm from Italy; I'm also a woman and you'd think in a country that's pretty traditionalist, where the Vatican is an influence, we'd have that even more but no. In my country women don't typically take on their husband's name when they marry. Thankfully. 

I think Lemonade is interesting in the way it's meant to also speak about broader issues and it deserves praise for that but to be honest I don't find any of the songs catchy or entertaining enough to give them a second listening. The songs have no usual melody or a typical structure. 

It seems to me it was made to make critics say how creative and socially aware Beyoncé is more than to make music that's entertaining to listen to.

You praise it for this and that and that's fine and it's certainly a purposeful piece of art but honestly, deep down, how many really do find these songs so good that they can't  stop listening to them?  

Also remember good, universal and timeless music is relevant to everybody. Not just a particular slice of society. 

Agree! Pretty hurts is about embracing your imperfections, but i dont see that message delivered when she literally ALWAYS wants to be perfect

• Love 2
  • 3 months later...

Beyonce is so overrated .  and imo she is a cash cow 

I don't buy her as an Activist or someone who fights for the black culture

There is nothing authentic of her ! She photoshoped her *** of for the Album 4 to look like a white

and now she is playing the black superwomen .....Oh please girl please eye roll GIF   before she plays an activist or feminist she should have seat...

7 minutes ago, agentprovocate1 said:

Beyonce is so overrated .  and imo she is a cash cow 

I don't buy her as an Activist or someone who fights for the black culture

There is nothing authentic of her ! She photoshoped her *** of for the Album 4 to look like a white

and now she is playing the black superwomen .....Oh please girl please eye roll GIF   before she plays an activist or feminist she should have seat...

Cry shes more talented than your fave any day..

• Love 1
On 10/11/2020 at 4:18 AM, Glittilicious said:

Preach Amy Poehler GIF by Sisters

• Like 1
12 hours ago, exposingmediocrity said:

Theyre mad because she controls her life and is more talented than their fave anyday!

Shut up lol :roxxy: Come back when Beyonce can do splits or a back flip. The only thing Beyonce has against Britney is her vocals otherwise Primeney destroys Beyonce in everything :roxxy:

Also, funny how u had to include her personal life in order to "make a point" like most PoisonHive stans do when you're left with nothing to argue :roxxy: I hope she thanking daddy for giving her all those grammys  :roxxy:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

The only music of Britney that sounds outdated is BOMT, OIDIA, Britney and Femme Fatale. In The Zone, Blackout, Circus, and Glory are timeless records with the type of production "Overratednade" wish it had :chrissy_xtina_head_tilt_purse_sass:

Excuse me. :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

If you think Glory is timeless, so are the ballads/mid-tempos on Oops!... :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Just adding to your otherwise flawless post. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block