Lemonade is overrated [Opinion]

2 hours ago, PickleSpears said:

Everything Beyonce does is overrated. She's talented, I'm not saying she sucks, but the world eats up her sh-t like her literal sh-t is candy and I don't get it. Formation, Sorry, and Hold Up were good but they weren't amazing or anything.

I loved formation, hold up, daddy lessons and sandcastles. However it stops there.

I never liked sorry because ew

and YES, Beyoncé could literally make a song singing twerking and her delusional fans would be thinking its a political awakening and everyone would praise her  :jeanluc:

• Like 2
On 4/13/2020 at 12:34 AM, Deyonce said:

Imagine being so self centered in thinking that just because YOU don't like something and millions of others do it is somehow "overhyped". You can not like something and it can still be good. And the fact that this album sparked political conversations and debates, made #1 despite being a surprise release AND it being a Tidal Exclusive, had two hit singles, encouraged and empowered many people (particularly Black Women), was the best selling album in the world the year it came out, is universally acclaimed, and had multiple college classes revolving around are proof that it is an objectively great  body of work. 

Thus, overrated :oprah:

Do you think the album would have been half as good with that aamount of samples Bey used :oprah:

The album was just US hype because the albums first week sales outside of the US tells the whole story :oprah:

And do you know that, 62% of Lemonades WW sales came from the US alone :oprah:

If not for the US, the album would have been 8th best-selling album of 2016 :oprah:

Imagine being so self centered in thinking that just because YOU don't like something and millions of others do it is somehow "overhyped".

Yeah, and thats why my post has 16 likes and if combined with my other post, 26 likes and 95% people over here agreed with me :oprah:

And yes, its overhyped :oprah:

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Thus, overrated :oprah:

Do you think the album would have been half as good with that aamount of samples Bey used :oprah:

The album was just US hype because the albums first week sales outside of the US tells the whole story :oprah:

And do you know that, 62% of Lemonades WW sales came from the US alone :oprah:

If not for the US, the album would have been 8th best-selling album of 2016 :oprah:

Yeah, and thats why my post has 16 likes and if combined with my other post, 26 likes and 95% people over here agreed with me :oprah:

And yes, its overhyped :oprah:

You do realize the US is the 3rd most populated country in the world? And that Beyoncé is American, so that is natural. And I don't know if you understand this but black music (R&B and Hip Hop) uses a lot of samples, so trying to use that as a negative shows your lack of knowledge to the cultural legacy she is trying to display. Lol. This threads title will naturally attract people who agree with you. And again, I never said you have to like it; I'm just saying that that doesn't make it "bad" or "overrated". I don't like the Confessions album by Madonna and is literally my least favorite from her. But I still respect it because it's OBJECTIVELY good. And I'm :haha::haha: at the fact that you think that because SOME people on Exhale agree with you means that means that you're right. The world is much bigger than that honey. And the album is highly lauded. So if everyone's crazy, you're the one who's insane.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Deyonce said:

You do realize the US is the 3rd most populated country in the world? And that Beyoncé is American, so that is natural. And I don't know if you understand this but black music (R&B and Hip Hop) uses a lot of samples, so trying to use that as a negative shows your lack of knowledge to the cultural legacy she is trying to display. Lol. This threads title will naturally attract people who agree with you. And again, I never said you have to like it; I'm just saying that that doesn't make it "bad" or "overrated". I don't like the Confessions album by Madonna and is literally my least favorite from her. But I still respect it because it's OBJECTIVELY good. And I'm :haha::haha: at the fact that you think that because SOME people on Exhale agree with you means that means that you're right. The world is much bigger than that honey. And the album is highly lauded. So if everyone's crazy, you're the one who's insane.

And what does the US population have to do with anything? We are talking about commercial music, America IS the biggest music market in the world. If we subtract all US sales of lemonade, the overall sales of Lemonade would be 1 million copies only.

The point of this thread, was to point out that the hype for the album was too much. It’s an overrated album with few to good songs. So if I hardly like the album, I should objectively like it? I felt that it’s reviews were to much for the album and I never stated her using samples that way. People keep saying it’s original when it isn’t. 

10 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

And what does the US population have to do with anything? We are talking about commercial music, America IS the biggest music market in the world. If we subtract all US sales of lemonade, the overall sales of Lemonade would be 1 million copies only.

The point of this thread, was to point out that the hype for the album was too much. It’s an overrated album with few to good songs. So if I hardly like the album, I should objectively like it? I felt that it’s reviews were to much for the album and I never stated her using samples that way. People keep saying it’s original when it isn’t. 

Since the USA is the largest music market most of her sales would come from their. So you essentially just proved what I was trying to say. And so what? Sales has nothing to do with the artistic merits of a record. And I understand the point. I am voicing my disdain for that point. I literally said you don't have to like it multiple times. I'm saying it's artistic merits should be respected. And I understand how you feel. And you said the album wouldn't be as good without samples. I was just simply explaining why she used a lot of them. If you say Lemonade wouldn't be as good without samples then J could say Blackout wouldn't be as good without autotune but we both know that's irrelevant. And who said its original? I haven't heard that one. And I'm just going to assume you can't fully understand the greatness of the album because you don't understand the lived experience of black women or black people in general because thats the audience the record was directly speaking too. And that's okay. You can hate on Lemonade all you want it's still one of the albums of the decade. You can respond to this comment when your faves have college classes thought on their albums.

29 minutes ago, Deyonce said:

Since the USA is the largest music market most of her sales would come from their. So you essentially just proved what I was trying to say. And so what? Sales has nothing to do with the artistic merits of a record. And I understand the point. I am voicing my disdain for that point. I literally said you don't have to like it multiple times. I'm saying it's artistic merits should be respected. And I understand how you feel. And you said the album wouldn't be as good without samples. I was just simply explaining why she used a lot of them. If you say Lemonade wouldn't be as good without samples then J could say Blackout wouldn't be as good without autotune but we both know that's irrelevant. And who said its original? I haven't heard that one. And I'm just going to assume you can't fully understand the greatness of the album because you don't understand the lived experience of black women or black people in general because thats the audience the record was directly speaking too. And that's okay. You can hate on Lemonade all you want it's still one of the albums of the decade. You can respond to this comment when your faves have college classes thought on their albums.

Your right, i should not have brought the numbers of the album but you DID say it was f the best-selling album of 2016 right?

My point for where why i made this thread was because i feel that the album DIDNT deserve album of the freakin decade when there were far better ones artistically that didnt need 15 producers for a album and 15 writers for ONE song. There were albums that had only 3 producers but recieved a 90% score and above. So in what way, does lemonade compete with them? most of its rating came because of one very main reason which was politics. 

As much as i praise and give the album bringing black culture to the upfront, its quality wasnt as best as its theme. However in the end we have different ears and thus, take a different opinion

It was marketed to be very commercial, the aesthetics were big budget and it really honored the cultural stereotypical values of african Americans. And it tells us to forgive your man if he is unfaithful and that a Woman should pay the man a fancy restaurant meal if he blows her back out. Conclusion: overrated, stupid unfeminist and unempowering messages relying on cultural stigma and Weird base gender ethics imo. Wake up the lemon stings in my eyes lemon GIF

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Your right, i should not have brought the numbers of the album but you DID say it was f the best-selling album of 2016 right?

My point for where why i made this thread was because i feel that the album DIDNT deserve album of the freakin decade when there were far better ones artistically that didnt need 15 producers for a album and 15 writers for ONE song. There were albums that had only 3 producers but recieved a 90% score and above. So in what way, does lemonade compete with them? most of its rating came because of one very main reason which was politics. 

As much as i praise and give the album bringing black culture to the upfront, its quality wasnt as best as its theme. However in the end we have different ears and thus, take a different opinion

As a person who actually read the reviews for this record; it was acclaimed for its exploration of different genres, vocals, and overall cohesiveness. And Lemonade competes with them because it's well written and well produced with good vocals. Lemonade is my favorite album of all time. It made me feel every emotion in 48 minutes. It gave me VOCALS! And storyline. But honestly, I think as a member of the Beyhive I get triggered when the word "overhyped" and "overrated" is used with Beyoncé because it's used to malign her talent and accomplishments as if anyone in the past 20 years has does what she does.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Deyonce said:

As a person who actually read the reviews for this record; it was acclaimed for its exploration of different genres, vocals, and overall cohesiveness. And Lemonade competes with them because it's well written and well produced with good vocals. Lemonade is my favorite album of all time. It made me feel every emotion in 48 minutes. It gave me VOCALS! And storyline. But honestly, I think as a member of the Beyhive I get triggered when the word "overhyped" and "overrated" is used with Beyoncé because it's used to malign her talent and accomplishments as if anyone in the past 20 years has does what she does.

I understand as a beyhive you hate seeing that word overrated. I can sympathize with you because i am a billie stan, and it always hurts as a too see when billie is called overrated when she works so hard. However i havent called Bey overrated, because ik as a black woman how hard working she is. She likes everything to be perfect and i have to give hats off to her re-invention with the self-titled era. 

However, i felt that the acclaim was to much for the record, thats why i called it overrated, because i believe there were far more deserving albums that deserved the recognition  lemonade got

5 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

I understand as a beyhive you hate seeing that word overrated. I can sympathize with you because i am a billie stan, and it always hurts as a too see when billie is called overrated when she works so hard. However i havent called Bey overrated, because ik as a black woman how hard working she is. She likes everything to be perfect and i have to give hats off to her re-invention with the self-titled era. 

However, i felt that the acclaim was to much for the record, thats why i called it overrated, because i believe there were far more deserving albums that deserved the recognition  lemonade got

I personally don't like Billie Eilish's music (though you should see me in a crown is a bop) but I understand that she's good at her job so I can respect it. And yeah, it's annoying to see that Beyoncé has gotten closer to perfection than almost any one before or after her so people just resort to calling her "overrated" because they can't think of anything else to say. We're both Virgos (she's 9/4 I'm 9/3) so I understand how much she pushes herself which is why I defend her so hard. 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Deyonce said:

I personally don't like Billie Eilish's music (though you should see me in a crown is a bop) but I understand that she's good at her job so I can respect it. And yeah, it's annoying to see that Beyoncé has gotten closer to perfection than almost any one before or after her so people just resort to calling her "overrated" because they can't think of anything else to say. We're both Virgos (she's 9/4 I'm 9/3) so I understand how much she pushes herself which is why I defend her so hard. 

Yeah I don’t like it when people call her overrated when she hasn’t. Even tho she had a father with connections, she didn’t sit down and let magic happen for her. She has worked so hard to be where she is now and I really respect that. Same for Billie, before she was famous, everyone was saying she was underrated and deserves more recognition. Billie only worked with her brother for the production of the album, and see what happened. 3 album Grammys, 83% meta critic score, and one of the best 2019 albums. Yet people still call her overrated

• Love 1
  • 2 months later...

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block