Update on "GLORY" critic reception

jennyj

"Glory" has 71 points in terms of reviews, which indicates "generally positive reviews", making it her second highest-scoring album.

• Rolling stone and MetaCritic, among others, put it on the list of the best albums of 2016 in the 11th and 5th position. Also Billboard, Rolling Stone and others catalogued "Clumsy" and "Do You Wanna Come Over" as one of the best songs of the year.
  • Slant Magazine called the album's sound "daring and mature", but criticized "Private Show", calling it "the album's only bona-fide misfire."
  • In a positive review, The Boston Globe described the album as one with "an unbridled energy" that "operates on its own terms."
  • The Daily Telegraph praised the production on the album, and noted that "every track sounds like a single".
  • In a mixed review of the album, The New York Times claimed that the album was "one-dimensional", but noted her as sounding like she "has emphatically returned to the foreground."

Glory debuted at number three on the US Billboard 200, moving 111,000 units in its first week. In the United Kingdom and Ireland, Glory debuted at number two and number one, respectively, becoming her highest charting album in those countries since Blackout (2007). In Germany, the album debuted at number three, becoming her highest charting album there in 13 years, since the release of In the Zone (2003). In Italy, the album debuted at number one, becoming Britney's first album to reach the top of the Italian album chart. In Japan, the album peaked at number 19 on the Billboard Japan Hot Albums chart. In South Korea, the album debuted at number 26 on the Gaon Album Chart and at number 3 on the international version of the same chart. After Spears's tour in Korea, the album rebounded on the Gaon International Chart and reached the top of the chart, higher than its debut position. The album also charted within the top ten of charts in 24 various international countries.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glory_(Britney_Spears_album)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I LOVE this album, her sound matured, she sings beautifully, and she's so confident in it. And once again, she delivered an album where each song could literally be a single. Main acts keep failing at that. Britney always excites me and touches my heart and keeps me on my toes with her music <3

19 hours ago, Urbanney said:

Yes! Britney's best album.

I wonder how much of the reviewers only listened to the standard edition and not the deluxe and if that would've changed their rating.

So true!  The deluxe version is definitely one of her top albums (the CD version, not the streaming version where they replaced the original masterpiece that was Slumber Party with the Tinashe version).

Her team really dropped the ball with this album... it had SO much potential. Lack of promotion obviously, releasing the lead single Make Me and then waiting weeks to put out the music video ( which was a tragedy in itself ), and then using a damn screen grab from the video as the album cover did not start this era off right. Releasing Slumber Party as a collaboration instead of using the original Britney only version was another mistake in my opinion. And after that they left the album and the era to die. Britney was serving in every way possible at this time. She was engaged and clearly passionate about this album and they let it flop. Glory could have been a massive hit and easily have five singles released from it. I’m glad it’s being recognized but it’s a little late for that now. Glory was a true masterpiece and deserved so much better :)

Archived