The Weeknd: my music "literally changed the sound of pop music"

Jordan Miller

• Leader

The Weeknd takes the number one spot on the Billboard 200 with his new record, After Hours.

He beat 5SOS again tho their fans don't think so. :jj:

Abel is opening up about his new record. In an interview with Variety, The Weeknd says he believes his music changed the landscape of pop. Does that make him a main pop boy? Only the MJ of the 2010s.

“‘House of Balloons’ literally changed the sound of pop music before my eyes,” he says without exaggeration. “I heard ‘Climax,’ that [2012] Usher song, and was like, ‘Holy f—, that’s a Weeknd song.’ It was very flattering, and I knew I was doing something right, but I also got angry. But the older I got, I realized it’s a good thing.” (Usher declined to comment for this story.)

Did he lie? :didilie:

I'm super interested to hear your thoughts. There's no denying Weeknd's massive impact... right? 

the-weeknd-pop.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BS detected ! :mattafact:

Diplo produced Climax, and he was stating to rise in pop anyway ! And its thanks to MIAs "Paper Planes" and Santigold  masterful debut album with him. I doubt Diplo and Usher heard House of Balloons, coming from a small debut artist.
Also both sounds a LOT like Prince, who always had a huge influence in male R&B/Pop singers...
ugxYEQf.gif?1

He is just another male ego in the business... 

• Leader
29 minutes ago, SelinaKyle said:

BS detected ! :mattafact:

Diplo produced Climax, and he was stating to rise in pop anyway ! And its thanks to MIAs "Paper Planes" and Santigold  masterful debut album with him. I doubt Diplo and Usher heard House of Balloons, coming from a small debut artist.
Also both sounds a LOT like Prince, who always had a huge influence in male R&B/Pop singers...
ugxYEQf.gif?1

He is just another male ego in the business... 

Diplo confirmed the TEA

I stan The Weekend. I actually enjoy him more than Drake. There's something about Drake that annoys me. I cannot pin point it. Maybe it's his obsession with Rihanna? Maybe it's pretty boy crafted "hip hop". You could say the same for The Weekend though...but there's grit to The Weekends craft that I dig.  I like HIP HOP like Crime Mob HIP HOP. Ghetto gonna meet you out back hip hop. A lot of these newbies are pretty merchandise with some hype BUT I feel The Weekends music and I feel that he's like a chameleon. He literally can do any genre IMO. 

thank god for hip hop GIF by VH1 Hip Hop Honors

Archived