Bhad Bhabie: Who wants to be black?

Jordan Miller

• Leader

Remember the how ba na girl? She's had a cute career in rap for a while, but she's making headlines today for her new lewk.

People are pointing out that she's trying tot portray herself as a woman of color. It's called black-fishing. She's caucasian by birth. 

I can see how this is racially insensitive, but also another part of me says let her live. But I also understand that that's coming from a white man with privilege. 

How do we feel about this? Is her new look problematic or she would pay it dust? :deserves:

"Who wants to be black?!"

I think she means in reference to people accusing her of trying to be black but still, a mess... :deserves:

bhad-bhabie.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, rik said:

tbh you gays and your lack of education on black culture amidst using 'sis' 'ghetto' and 'ratchet'   is kind of pissing me OFF, i won't even pretend! This genuinely goes for the majority of you on this website. I already know some people are going to claim I'm making this too political, but you can ask any black person. @Avatar  and @JordanMiller i'd love to hear your thoughts on what I'm about to say because this is so f-ing stupid. my best friends ARE black and i will ALWAYS serve as an ally to counter these problems white people and non-black POC shrug off. 

I am indian. Even we are  POC, that doesn't give us the right to pass a blind eye on black issues. so what exactly are you? Are you black .... because i want you to know that the discrimination we face as non-black POCs is nowhere near the systematic and microaggressions that are embedded all around. Whether you are indian, chinese, japanese, etc... there is anti-blackness all around. People want to bleach their skin because it's been ingrained in their minds that black is bad. There is historical legacies of black slaves being traded EVERYWHERE in the world. Anti-blackness is so severe today to the point where there is COLOURISM in black communities, whereby darker skinned black people are made fun of. 

Do you know the historical significance of black face, let alone the opportunities this girl could potentially be taking away from black girls who deserve to have a platform to express themselves? Do you know people were LYNCHED while people performed in black face for entertainment? Are you familiar with jim crow laws and the legacy they have left behind? For example, if you guys are dying about 'wigs', I want you to know the historical significance of who created wigs for European royalty. It wasn't the whites, I'll tell you that much. it was slaves. 

Do you know that black boys and girls get kicked out of school for wearing their hair in cornrose or for wearing durags, THINGS THAT HAVE UTILITY TO PROTECT TEXTURED HAIR. It's not a fashion statement. kids are losing their education because they're trying to protect their hair. as opposed to shaving it off. There are cases where black people are simply wearing their hair naturally and still getting kicked out. people are being told their hair is associated with 'gang association'. 

On the front of 'pinched noses', do you know how incredibly limiting that is? White and black people get nose jobs because they don't like their features. If black people get it for the sake of assimilating with white culture, isn't that because of years of trauma? How is that on them?

LASTLY, you guys.... are you aware of the term 'black fishing'.  I got into trouble for calling Kylie Jenner out on this for absolutely no reason. With these influencers painting their bodies darker, they are not only damagng their skin but taking on features that are innate to black people and profiting off of features, taking OPPORTUNITIES AWAY FROM BLACK INFLUENCERS WHO ARE ALREADY SO UNDERREPRESENTED EVERYWHERE. 

blackfishing-kulture-hub-770x385.jpg

i know it's not the vibe, but it's the truth. i don't think we should be censoring it. britney never relied on commodifying black culture (contrasting justin timberlake and christina aguilera), even during a time when political correctness was not as prominent. if we can pride ourselves and hold ourselves to that standard of celebrity where we understand that you can be authentic without having to be offensive or harmful to others (britney being a prime example of that), i think it's okay to mention the obvious here.  i am so angry. 

You definitely did not grow up in an area of diversity, huh?  

3 hours ago, rik said:

I am from Canada.I am indian.  My best friends are black, chinese, white, and  pakistani. 

do you think black fishing is okay then? genuinely curious as to why it is that afte alll of that you are painting me as the bad guy? also, she says the N word. so..... um.... bye

if you don't get it after ALL of that, then you never will. 

"my best friends are..." ........ LOL that's the same excuse people use when trying to excuse their own behavior. 

I can't stand her and she needs help, but she's not 'black fishing', she literally looks like some tan Latina or Italian woman... stop acting like black culture is some superior culture, every culture including yours and including everyone elses (including white) should be equal in today's age. But when y'all keep reaching like this, it just repeats the same issues as the past. Also, the amount of times you see black women (especially celebs like Beyonce, Lil Kim, Nicki Minaj, etc.) who bleach their skin, use light makeup, wear blonde/brown hair, etc. Literally every culture has the same trend of people trying to be the opposite. Since you're Indian, you should know that most bollywood celebs try to be light skin, and in all over asia and africa countries, you see lightening creams in the regular supermarkets. Just like in more light skin countries, they have lots of tanning lotions. 

Stop making everything a freakin' race issue... it's just stupid and toxic.... and it's also giving her more attention for no reason.

So she is donning a new hairstyle, got a tan and in wearing Kylie Jenner-esque makeup...? Could be inspired by black culture of course.... I understand her getting ripped for her music persona but the look isn’t too problematic imo ...

• Content Curators

Y’all are really so ******* ignorant that really looks normal to u??

that vid with her in the black wig?

that Caucasian girl is really trying to change her whole *** race 

this is disgusting 

it saddens me that people from a community that receives so much hate such as the lgbt community are defending this 

if some celeb came out as gay as a joke y’all would be all over them 

Archived