Did Katy Perry miss the mark big time with "Never Really Over?"

Hello and welcome :tiffdrink:

xOA91e1.jpg

So flashback to April 2019. Taylor Swift just released her highly anticipated lead single of TS7  "MEH!". The whole pop world is disappointed as the song is subjected to negative reviews from critics and casual listeners alike. The hype from Ariana's thank u, next era was also fading with "break up with ur girlfriend, im bored" was receding from the charts. 

And then boom! Katy Perry announces a fan event and speculation of a new track floods the internet. Not long after, she introduces the world to "Never Really Over" *the alleged lead of KP5 at the time*.

Coming fresh from an unflattering era and a stint on American Idol, hype for the song was a surprise to most. Would this be finally her way of telling the world that she's never reall over or would this be another Witness reminiscent? 

"Never Really Over" gained 16 Million views on YouTube in the first 24 hours since it's release. The song receives massive critical acclaim and it felt like the General Public was finally here for Katy's music. A masterfully produced pop track, especially that of Katy Perry, getting such a reception was not a frequent sight given 2019's music scenario. The song also briefly served as a meme on Twitter, with its electrifying chorus leaving many in awe and the explicable songwriting of using the term "over" in 5 different ways.

Debuting at #15, it becomes one of Katy Perry's most recognisable songs with ease. Alas, there might be a pivotal place for Katy in the music industry after all, contradictory to the predictions that arose from the Witness era. It didn't end there; the potential the song had could have landed it a top 5 spot, with Katy's last one being "Chained To The Rhythm", the lead from Witness which peaked at #4. 

But what did Katy Perry do you ask? She paid the song dust. With no major promo other than playlisting, the song was left to fend for itself. The song's first live performance wouldn't be for months, and that too at a local music festival which didn't help the song get any traction. "Never Really Over" slowly fell into the top 20s and then farther down when it was confirmed that no album would be followed by the song.

Katy had the golden opportunity with that song. She could have made her grand return to the music industry with a song that was probably the most well received song of her career in a long time. 

Months later, "Small Talk" would be released, scraping the bottom of the barrel at the #80s lf the Hot 100. The interest was lost again.

In 2020, she explained that she did not release any of her 2019 droplet singles with the intention of making them chart high. She was merely experimenting with different sounds to see the reaction from her fanbase, so as to decide the best sound and direction for her upcoming album, releasing this summer. 

But to this day, I firmly believe she missed an option big time by not giving the push "Never Really Over" needed and letting it die easily with none to minimal promotion. 

Also worth noting that the Grammy's snubbed the song by not even nominating it for Best Pop Solo Performance and Song Of The Year, both of which the song was submitted for. But this wouldn't be new in the case of Scammys and their history with Katy Perry.

Easily one of the best songs of the year, and my favorite song of 2019 periodT :tiffdrink:

Another gem to a flawless videography as well.

Thoughts?

:tiffdrink:

katy-perry-nro.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 3
7 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

I appreciate your dedication to this song and the effort you put into this post and describing the history around it.

However, the song is annoying as hell and didn't deserve success. :tired:

@CrazyButItFeelsAllright has taught me to acknowledge and be respectable to different viewpoints and opinions :tiffdrink:

So yes, I completely understand your perspective and thank you for commenting on my thread :tiffdrink:

Spoiler

Die.

• Haha 7
Just now, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

The competition was tough, I had to give babycat and Never Worn White the edge in that:tiffdrink:

You're doing a disservice to Katy's music with your unfair criteria and bias. :tiffdrink: You call out the Grammys for snubbing NRO yet you give an edge to NWW just because of babykat. :deadbanana: Recall your ranking and honor 365 with the silver medal and NRO with the gold medal for her droplet era. It's the right thing to do. :tiffdrink:

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Roxxy said:

You're doing a disservice to Katy's music with your unfair criteria and bias. :tiffdrink: You call out the Grammys for snubbing NRO yet you give an edge to NWW just because of babykat. :deadbanana: Recall your ranking and honor 365 with the silver medal and NRO with the gold medal for her droplet era. It's the right thing to do. :tiffdrink:

Umm no sis no :tiffdrink: I didn’t just give NWW the edge because of babycat I merely mentioned it :tiffdrink: NWW is just the better song, case closed :tiffdrink:  We don’t stan Zedd and his problematic a s  s in this house :tiffdrink:

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

Umm no sis no :tiffdrink: I didn’t just give NWW the edge because of babycat I merely mentioned it :tiffdrink: NWW is just the better song, case closed :tiffdrink:  We don’t stan Zedd and his problematic a s  s in this house :tiffdrink:

Or you're just biased because of Zedd. :tiffdrink: This is why no one takes us seriously as Katycats here on Exhale. :tiffdrink:

7 minutes ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:
  Hide contents

p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

too busy streaming "Future Nostalgia" :tired:

Bish Katy inspired Dua :tiffdrink: and now you're making me stream Teenage Dream for the gazillionth time thank you :tiffdrink:

Spoiler

You make me feel like I'm living a, Teenage Dream, the way you turn me on, I can't sleep, let's run away and don't ever look back don't ever look back :tiffdrink:

• Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block