Britney was set to win "Best Female Video" and "Video of The Year" at the VMAS 2004?

Stifler's Mom

guy I was just reading the toxic track performance for curiosity, and of the descriptions from wikipedia states that Britney was set to take two awards at the VMAS 2004 for Toxic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxic_(song)#Response_and_impact

It was also nominated for four VMAs at the 2004 awards in the categories of Best Female Video, Best Dance Video, Best Pop Video and Video of the Year, but lost all of them. Rumors spread on the internet, claiming that the winners choice by MTV were rigged due to her non-presence at the show that same year. Spears was set to win "Best Female Video" and "Video Of The Year". Corey Moss of MTV said that Spears "remains the Susan Lucci of the VMAs."[61] Visual effects supervisors Chris Watts and Bert Yukich won the category of Outstanding Visual Effects in a Music Video at the 3rd Annual Visual Effects Society Awards.[62]

Does anybody knows the source of this? Is it true? It does make sense that she was nominated for 4 vmas, including video of the year, and weird that she did not won at least pop video or female at some point. I just wonder, did they had any feud at the time? maybe thats why she didnt bother to attend??? :rip:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, holditagainstbritney said:

Wasn’t she supposed to perform that year too?

not sure but I think so? altho theres no commercials about it :heresthetea:

7 minutes ago, Marcanthony said:

apparently she didn't win because she didn't attend the show

this is some bull****, and they dissed her right after at the vmas 2007. how dare they :byesmoke:

I have made the analysis a couple times, without those rumors you can tell she was F over! She lost to Beyonce for female video of the year, but was the only female nominated for video of the year. Make that make sense :cuteneylaugh: by being the only female nominated for video of the year, female video of the year should have been a no brainer 

Well, obviously the stuff in the parenthesis was just added there by a fan or anyone. It could be anybody. I mean, it is Wikipedia after all so yeah... :whatitellu:

We do not have receipts and it even says on the parenthesis that it's just a rumor. But I will say this, I found it baffling then that Toxic was the only video from the Best Female category that was nominated for Video of the Year. So yeah, like, go figure. I believe that's where this rumor started because if you really think about it, it actually makes sense. Like, how can hers be the only female video good enough for the top honor and her not winning the female category? It's just absurd is what it is. :mattafact:

47 minutes ago, ThisMeowBiteback said:

I have made the analysis a couple times, without those rumors you can tell she was F over! She lost to Beyonce for female video of the year, but was the only female nominated for video of the year. Make that make sense :cuteneylaugh: by being the only female nominated for video of the year, female video of the year should have been a no brainer 

All those awards shows are fake anyway.

They give awards to the artist actually showing up to their **** shows.

• Super Mods
1 hour ago, Lorenzo said:

This is why I can’t stand when people complain about her 2008 awards saying that they weren’t deserved etc. Like Britney delivered some of the most epic music videos of all time, the VMA’s absolutely had to make up for it :mcwave:

Yeah but they awarded her for the wrong video. Even she wasn’t that proud as she later said that she thought the video was okay but she had better videos. I don’t care for awards but it’s nice to win one for the right one. Like her Grammy for Toxic you know? 

3 hours ago, Lorenzo said:

This is why I can’t stand when people complain about her 2008 awards saying that they weren’t deserved etc. Like Britney delivered some of the most epic music videos of all time, the VMA’s absolutely had to make up for it :mcwave:

POM didn't deserve those awards, that's a fact.

It's just offensive how one of Britney's worst videos gave her her first three moonmen, including video of the year. It's like them saying that BOMT, OIDIA, Crazy, Slave, Overprotected, MATM, Toxic, etc, didn't deserve an award but POM did. Rude af :donewithit:  Yet again, they were probably bought by her team to do the comeback, so whatever.

But that's just more proof of how awful the VMA's are in terms of the people that gets the awards, and that they usually give the awards to the worst. If you see the videos Britney lost to in her prime, across the different categories she was nominated, it's just laughable. 

I've always considered the Video Vanguard Award as the retroactive award for all of her videos. Kind of like, an apology for never recognizing her work and influence in the music industry, particularly the music videos. Becuase it was ironic that someone that only got 4 moonmen in her entire career received the ultimate award. Sadly, it also worked to cover any future video of hers, since she was never even nominated after that. The fact that Criminal, Scream & Shout, Work *****, Slumber Party weren't nominated, not even for best Pop, it's just dumb. 

Archived