Lady Gaga's "Stupid Love" drops outside the top 20 in its second week, blasts to #1 on...

• Leader

lady-gaga-stupid-love-chart.jpg.e45654f3cf040a38bc04d9d30d1c7b56.jpg

Music not the bling. 

Lady Gaga's new single, "Stupid Love," debuted at #5 on the Hot 100, however it slipped to #26 in its second week. :slamga:

However, it's not all bad. It blasted to #1 on the Hot Dance / Electronic chart. :jj:

I think stan culture puts a lot of emphasis on charting, and how that equates to relevancy. I don't see it that way. 

A lot of people didn't instantly connect with "Stupid Love." I personally loved it upon first listen. What do you guys think? Is the chart drop a reflection on the song itself? Are you worried for Chromatica? Or does chart placement even matter for someone as gargantuan as Lady Gaga? 

Although I still believe singles play a part in album sales, longevity and relevance as well as sustaining an album cycle, it's also not as important anymore. With how music is consumed nowadays, we really can't say anymore. When brand new songs come out, people stream the hell out of it on repeat, literally that one song for the entire week, and then once they've overplayed it, they move on to a different song or go back to their regular programming. It's not the same as before where the single can directly influence it's parent album. It still can and it still does, but only to a certain degree.

Taylor Swift's ME!, like Stupid Love, was frontloaded too, before tumbling down to oblivion. Yet Lover still debuted with monster sales.

In a not so similar circumstance, Selena Gomez hit #1 with Lose You To Love Me and it's chart run was very consistent as well. But Rare struggled and barely got the top spot on the Billboard 200.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

What even are these songs? :searching:

A long time ago I accepted I'm officially old ever since I don't recognize any song or artist on the charts lol

What I don't understand is how those songs stay for so long at the top? Is it just streaming? I mean, if a song gets super famous, everybody buys it / downloads it, but they can do it just once, so what happens  next? 

What I mean is, with Lady Gaga, for example, she released a song, I supposed it charted relatively high because it was new, and I would think it's the natural that it drops, but come all those other songs didn't drop after they debuted? Just streaming? Or do they keep getting new buyers every week? 

I keep thinking they should've left alone the sales chart and create a whole new list just for streaming, even if that became the most important one. I feel that whatever conversion method they use to translate the streams into sales, it just doesn't quite work. It feels like the artists just have to get lucky and hope that their songs catch with the audience, otherwise they lose any chance of staying on the charts. What I mean is, once a song becomes popular, it triggers this sort of snowball effect, when it just keeps getting more and more streamed as time goes by, and it's unfair that it has more weight or equal weight as actual sales, because anybody can stream a song, but going to actually buy the song digitally or physically is very different.

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

A long time ago I accepted I'm officially old ever since I don't recognize any song or artist on the charts lol

What I don't understand is how those songs stay for so long at the top? Is it just streaming? I mean, if a song gets super famous, everybody buys it / downloads it, but they can do it just once, so what happens  next? 

What I mean is, with Lady Gaga, for example, she released a song, I supposed it charted relatively high because it was new, and I would think it's the natural that it drops, but come all those other songs didn't drop after they debuted? Just streaming? Or do they keep getting new buyers every week? 

I keep thinking they should've left alone the sales chart and create a whole new list just for streaming, even if that became the most important one. I feel that whatever conversion method they use to translate the streams into sales, it just doesn't quite work. It feels like the artists just have to get lucky and hope that their songs catch with the audience, otherwise they lose any chance of staying on the charts. What I mean is, once a song becomes popular, it triggers this sort of snowball effect, when it just keeps getting more and more streamed as time goes by, and it's unfair that it has more weight or equal weight as actual sales, because anybody can stream a song, but going to actually buy the song digitally or physically is very different.

Trust me I ask myself this same question ALL the time. Damn Harlem Shake. To this day I despise that song for creating these BS Billboard changes. It’s all streaming and I wouldn’t be complaining if some of my underrated faves were helped by this, but it’s all streaming based off fads on Tik Tok, memes and the like and that’s where my issue lies :rupaulslap:

• Like 5
49 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

CHILE if you're old than what am I, a cute baby dinosaur? :embarrassney:

But the charts are still divided. Hehe. There's Billboard Streaming Songs chart, Billboard Digital Songs chart, and Billboard Radio Songs chart. All 3 charts are the component charts to the all encompassing Billboard Hot 100.

Also, a common misconception, Billboard was not the one responsible for accounting streaming equivalent album units. It was RIAA who spearheaded it in 2016 when they started incorporating streaming to their certifications. Billboard and Nielsen only started incorporating the change to their charts in 2018. But Billboard did, however, start to incorporate TEA and SEA in 2014 so yeah.

• Like 2

I believe she could go up to more/less top 15 in maybe one week or two weeks and then will fade away.. as she will move to the second single for the release of the album... 

Stupid love is nice but does not have much new stuff to offer.. I think people can get tired of it quickly.. 

30 minutes ago, WhateverYouNeed said:

Jordan: I don't care about charts

also Jordan: *makes a thread about charts 

I think it is rather unfair for you to say that. And narrowminded, I might say. Hehe.

He's not making these threads because he cares or not or based on his taste or biases. He's making these threads not for him but for everyone who reads BreatheHeavy/Exhale and comes to BH/Exhale for all the latest pop music news - which this thread is about. It is news. This is news. It might not be news to you, to me, or to someone else. But this is news regardless. And news about a big popstar. It is relevant. You're even in this thread cause you gave a damn about it by taking a peek inside. And like any journalist, he's reporting on things that he knows people would care about regardless of whether he gives a damn or not. You think journalists/reporters like to report about Trump or about bombings? They don't but people care for that sh-t and that's why they do it. Jordan is no different.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Roxxy said:
Spoiler

I think it is rather unfair for you to say that. And narrowminded, I might say. Hehe.

He's not making these threads because he cares or not or based on his taste or biases. He's making these threads not for him but for everyone who reads BreatheHeavy/Exhale and comes to BH/Exhale for all the latest pop music news - which this thread is about. It is news. This is news. It might not be news to you, to me, or to someone else. But this is news regardless. And news about a big popstar. It is relevant. You're even in this thread cause you gave a damn about it by taking a peek inside. And like any journalist, he's reporting on things that he knows people would care about regardless of whether he gives a damn or not. You think journalists/reporters like to report about Trump or about bombings? They don't but people care for that sh-t and that's why they do it. Jordan is no different.

omg drag me:urite:

i'm just teasing the ol good boy Jordy tbh :urite:

• Love 1
  • Like 1

It is her weakest Single next to Perfect Illusion....her single have been weak since Born This Way . but that's ok Britney doesnt top chart a lot but her albums are amazing , same with GaGa numbers do not mean quality and Stupid Love has actually grown on me.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

What I mean is, once a song becomes popular, it triggers this sort of snowball effect, when it just keeps getting more and more streamed as time goes by, and it's unfair that it has more weight or equal weight as actual sales, because anybody can stream a song, but going to actually buy the song digitally or physically is very different.

I absolutely agree!! That big difference in the way we consume music should correlate with numbers and chart positions.

PS: DUA IS NUMBER 3 NOW! Guys I can totally see her getting that NUMBER 1!!!

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Ofcoursenot said:

It just blows my mind how everything move so fast right now, how every single just die down in days, for a Gaga single that drop (:slamga:) is significant :xfactorlook:

Looks like fandoms (excluding BTS fans) doesn't have that power  anymore. GP has it now:mj:

I also think we're more "mature" now. And unless our favs come out with the same songs they did in ther peak , with the same energy and drive and top notch choreographies then we won't feel it as much. 

K-pop is just vile along with its bases. I cant wait for all of it to be irrelevant again. 

• Like 2

I love the fact that she went back to pop but maybe after ASIB success she would’ve been better off releasing a ballad. The GP may not be into pop Gaga anymore. Obviously there was some hype surrounding her new single and that’s why it had a nice peak but it didn’t click with the GP. Hopefully the Ariana collab will have some longevity 

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block