Doja Cat shades Dr. Luke, alludes to being trapped in a contract

Jordan Miller

• Leader

doja-cat-dr-luke.jpg.25ec1332bc0c5a2afdcdc9d1385b485b.jpg

Doja Cat recently released a music video for a song titled "Say So" off her 2019 album Hot Pink.

It helped push the track into the Top 20 on the Hot 100. It's peaked thus far at #16. 

"Say So" is co-produced by Dr. Luke. He worked on the album under pseudonym Tyson Trax. :whatitellu:

This marks his first song to crack the top 20 on the Hot 100 since Usher’s “I Don’t Mind” climbed to #11 in 2015.

In a Tweet chain, someone pointed out their shock upon finding out Doja' new hit is a Dr. Luke creation. In the process, Doja Cat noticed the replies and said:

I see y’all fighting for me. Thank you.

It appears she wants out from under Dr. Luke's shadow. 

Needless to say, Kesha is famously stuck in a contract with Luke. She claims he ***ually assaulted her. 

I didn't realize this either, but she's been signed to RCA and Dr. Luke's label Kemosabe Records since 2014. Her debut didn't happen until four years later... in 2018. :fakewow:

He helped her create a charting hit, however he's also disgraced. Should she be more grateful? Or does she have the right to want out? What do you think?

(She liked this Tweet above btw). 

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m so tired of these singers using his amazing talents to rocket to stardom, only to turn around and sh** on him. He’s absurdly talented, one of the best pop producers of all time. I absolutely love his music. And you can see recently by Kesha getting her *** handed to her in court that he’s not the devil she makes him out to be 

• Super Mods
8 minutes ago, thebritmaster said:

I’m so tired of these singers using his amazing talents to rocket to stardom, only to turn around and sh** on him. He’s absurdly talented, one of the best pop producers of all time. I absolutely love his music. And you can see recently by Kesha getting her *** handed to her in court that he’s not the devil she makes him out to be 

I hate to seem like I’m on his side but there’s a reason you signed with him because you know you can get your foot in, without you him you can’t and from a business standpoint he’s sticking his neck out for you so of course he’s gonna want to profit wouldn’t you in the same situation? If he’s assaulted you or you think his terms aren’t fair, you signed it no one forced you with a gun. I hate to sound like a geezer but it’s getting common now with young celebrities and “influencers” crying out anxiety and blah blah blah, you wanted some level of it so don’t make it seem like you were naive.

I think it's so annoying and ungrateful for someone to throw subtle shade or throw someone under the bus after he gave you your career. He basically invented you. Tyson Trax or whatever, everyone was raving about Say So on Exhale when her Fallon performance was posted and the same with her music video. It's her biggest hit to date. Now because you're on the Top 20 and on everyone's radar, you think you made it and can now get rid of Dr. Luke after he basically gave you your biggest break? No one forced you to sign with Dr. Luke. You did that because you know that he is A hitmaker. Period. I didn't even know you existed until I saw you here on Exhale. I rarely even listen to artists below the B List (because why would i? EWW) and you're not even on the C List but I actually gave a crap about you that I even downloaded your song onto my library, home to only the most elite popstars - literally legends only. It's all because of Say So produced by Tyson Trax.

Sitdown, be humble, and be grateful:slamga:

• Leader
2 hours ago, thebritmaster said:

I do agree though he is talented. :katycream: Still seems like not a good dude to me though. 

12 hours ago, JordanMiller said:

"Say So" is co-produced by Dr. Luke. He worked on the album under pseudonym Tyson Trax. :whatitellu:

wow how do you guys know that?? I had no idea... But it doesn't surprise me either because, and I hate to admit it, he's a fantastic producer. No wonder the song sounds so good. Actually, he's my favorite producer after Max Martin (!!).

BUT powerful men need to stop signing talented and charismatic women, giving them a golden ticket, and then claiming their success for all eternity WHILE LIMITING THEIR CREATIVE FREEDOM. The same happened to Kesha, Tinashe, and now Megan Thee Stallion. And who knows who else.

And about Dr. Luke..... It's simple: Kelly Clarkson has been screaming for years how AWFUL this guy is. I don't know if you know Kelly or have seen her in interviews or, even better, in her own talk show, but she's one of the sweetest and smartest and most empathetic people in the planet, and praises others all the time, and she's genuine and heartfelt about it, yet you can only listen to her talk **** about this guy. I trust the woman.

Dr Luke is a great producer of pop music for sure. But Kesha aside, his track record for being a shady prick is fairly well known. Kelly Clarkson and Pink have both said things about his appalling behaviour. Where there is smoke, there is fire. Just because someone signs with him (pre Kesha lawsuit) doesn’t mean being mistreated is acceptable just because they scored you a moderate hit. 

Ya... I think the entire system is very flawed. These sort of contracts seem to be getting outdated and the whole way an artist is represented should be changed. It’s not right to remain in someone’s shackles for all eternity if you don’t want to be there anymore, especially if you’re being mistreated. To have your reputation and artistry on the line if you want out does not seem fair whatsoever. In the case of Dr. Luke specifically yes I agree he makes hits and has put many artists on the map but if he is behaving inappropriately then he shouldn’t have the right anymore to force anyone to remain under his control. 

This is a very tricky subject and maybe not the right place to discuss, but I've mentioned on another thread how I've defended Kim Petras for working with him as well. From what I gather, he might not be the nicest person in the world but we also don't have proof of what he's been accused of. I am not victim blaming or calling Kesha a liar, not by any means (I'm a fan!)

However it's very tricky and cancel culture only makes issues worse. Everyone today hears one headline and they jump on the band wagon that he's a ******, ect. You have to look at the issue from both sides. Kesha even stated under oath that she was not assautled by him and then changed her story later. Once again, not calling her or anyone that's a victim a liar, but before you jump on me, please remember our beloved Britney was also accused in a ****** harassment case. And we aren't talking about just a tabloid story, her former body guard went to court for this. If we just believe everything at face value, then you'd be canceling Britney as well....just some food for thought. These issues are very messy and complicated and I think it's important that EVERYONE is heard before writing them off.

55 minutes ago, GimmeBritney320 said:

This is a very tricky subject and maybe not the right place to discuss, but I've mentioned on another thread how I've defended Kim Petras for working with him as well. From what I gather, he might not be the nicest person in the world but we also don't have proof of what he's been accused of. I am not victim blaming or calling Kesha a liar, not by any means (I'm a fan!)

However it's very tricky and cancel culture only makes issues worse. Everyone today hears one headline and they jump on the band wagon that he's a ******, ect. You have to look at the issue from both sides. Kesha even stated under oath that she was not assautled by him and then changed her story later. Once again, not calling her or anyone that's a victim a liar, but before you jump on me, please remember our beloved Britney was also accused in a ****** harassment case. And we aren't talking about just a tabloid story, her former body guard went to court for this. If we just believe everything at face value, then you'd be canceling Britney as well....just some food for thought. These issues are very messy and complicated and I think it's important that EVERYONE is heard before writing them off.

Kesha threw katy right under the bus. That's an enough reason for us to believe that all this accusations is a desperate plea to simply crack the contract . Im sorry but making an accusation against someone for **** whilst accusing a possible "victim" is too much for me to handle. 

As for Doja cat . Just be greatful he's giving you a hit. This whole guilty until proven innocent thing because a woman said so is backward thinking. Not logical at all. 

7 hours ago, GimmeBritney320 said:

Totally agree with what you’re saying about cancel culture. Dr Luke hasn’t been convicted of anything (apart from in the court of public opinion) so people still making their own choice to work with him is one I can accept. However, I do hope that he is treating his artists with respect and integrity). I still think he is probably an arsehole (repeated alleged body shaming, one song reworked for two artists, holding artists in contracts and delaying their debuts) but not a convicted one. 
Look at Johnny Depp and Amber Heard for example. When she claimed his abuse a few years ago, even beloved Johnny was “cancelled” without anyone knowing anything other that speculation. He has stated it allegedly lost him roles but now, it looks like she might not have been telling the truth and perhaps being abusive herself. All that cancelling for nothing. The fact is, us onlookers will never know what actually happened between two people, only what we have been told. And as they say, there is three sides to every story, the third being the truth. And adding to wild speculation is never good but all most seem to do. 

6 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

That is enough for me. You say it like it's a little thing, something of no value. And you're also disregarding all the other accusations of him being despicable.

Calm down . That was one of the main issues discussed in the feminism classes i had 2 years ago. It dealt with the how neither men or women should be above the law. Being despicable sadly is not a crime. We cannot accuse someone of **** for being despicable. 

There's countless false **** accusations , and those actually eclipse the real case scenarios. So for every false **** accusations being made , a real case is overlooked or swept under. It's actually sad. 

Archived