So... COVID-19?

Urbanney

47 minutes ago, Lukass1896 said:

Tell that to us - Europeans...:mhm: It's getting worse and worse every day. More and more people are getting sick and/or die in every country. People are buying everything from shops in panic mode, schools and public places are being closed etc... :nervousney:

I'm from Poland and we "only" have like 25-30 infected people (for now). But countries like France, England, Germany,Italy etc. are really struggling. There are more than 12000 infected people and more than 800 died in Italy alone... :sickofu::disappointed:

It's a mess. :decisions:

Why did your gov shut down schools so early? Isn’t it going to have massive economic impact? It will probably spread anyway so it is weird that some countries are overreacting.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Egle92 said:

Why did your gov shut down schools so early? Isn’t it going to have massive economic impact? It will probably spread anyway so it is weird that some countries are overreacting.

It's a way to force people to stay home, where I am from they even gave all the country's employees two weeks off effective today, throughout the entire nation, they also closed coffee shops and cinemas, there are only 20 registered cases but they are doing that to force people to stay home.

20 minutes ago, Egle92 said:

Cause they want to "force" people (at least young people without jobs) to stay home and to avoid big crowds / clusters of people. I know that young people usually don't care about being safe and they are already going out with friends... :nochillbrit: - but unfortunately what can you do to them? :sickofu:

I'm not a fan of our government still - just to be clear :jj: but I think that they want to stop the virus since in Poland there are only a few infected people, especially compered with other countries. At least for now... :decisions:

Social distancing is a very effective way to control the spread of a virus, the entire infection rate can be demolished if people will listen and stay home

1*XcXT9eNuHRQMOUEf_gAB9A.png

for those interested here is an interesting graph of what happened exactly in Wuhan

1*pwPIo7U6pBahMZhopHYbMw.png

((link for bigger version: https://miro.medium.com/max/3406/1*pwPIo7U6pBahMZhopHYbMw.png))

the number of cases just started to drop rapidly after few days from the Wuhan city shutdown

so, if any of our cities went into shutdown, we should not to panic, it is just an effective measure to control it, and hope the young crowd would listen :disappointed:

I am not scared by this Bubbling Under Hot 100 disease. :zoomzoom:

More seriously, it is indeed rather dangerous for elderly people or people with pre-existing conditions but I do think it gets blown out of proportion... Like Italy completely quarantined, really?

As a gay man, I am much more worried about AIDS, which still has no cure and means a lifelong disease (even though now treatments are efficient).

:tbh:

6 hours ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

I’m not worried about it. Do you know how many pandemics and apocalypses we’ve lived through in the past 2 decades. The US news and media is completely blowing it up and out of proportion. CV is nothing new and I’d you’re healthy to begin with, you’ll be fine, it’s literally just the flu. It’ll be alright. 

You're clearly wrong. this is not a joke and what you see on media is actually an understatement. I'm half Persian and my grandmother lives in Iran. the sight of hospitals there are tragic. they look like a scene from a movie. more than 300 people have died in less than 2 weeks. This is serious.

But fortunately avoidable if you follow some basic rules of personal hygiene.  

15 minutes ago, IUSM said:

More seriously, it is indeed rather dangerous for elderly people or people with pre-existing conditions but I do think it gets blown out of proportion... Like Italy completely quarantined, really?

As a gay man, I am much more worried about AIDS, which still has no cure and means a lifelong disease (even though now treatments are efficient).

How are you more worried about AIDS when in 2020 you can live more than 3 decades with medication on AIDS but Coronavirus kills you in a matter of days. :jlostare:

You can't catch AIDS by touching people or objects but you can catch Covid-19 by just standing near a sick person. 

Please, take this seriously and take care of yourselves. 

44 minutes ago, Kuzco said:

How are you more worried about AIDS when in 2020 you can live more than 3 decades with medication on AIDS but Coronavirus kills you in a matter of days. :jlostare:

You can't catch AIDS by touching people or objects but you can catch Covid-19 by just standing near a sick person. 

Please, take this seriously and take care of yourselves. 

Covid19 doesn’t really kill you in a matter of days unless you are old and have pre-existing conditions. So most people (over 95%) will recover in a matter of days, while AIDS is a life-long disease that doesn’t have a cure (even though nowadays it is manageable while constantly taking medication).

4 hours ago, Lukass1896 said:

Tell that to us - Europeans...:mhm: It's getting worse and worse every day. More and more people are getting sick and/or die in every country. People are buying everything from shops in panic mode, schools and public places are being closed etc... :nervousney:

I'm from Poland and we "only" have like 25-30 infected people (for now). But countries like France, England, Germany,Italy etc. are really struggling. There are more than 12000 infected people and more than 800 died in Italy alone... :sickofu::disappointed:

It's a mess. :decisions:

Do you personally know someone that has it? I’m sorry to hear your story. It sounds frightening. 

1 hour ago, IUSM said:

This is only the beginning.. They are saying there is 6 more months of this. Where the rate of increase will double every 4 days.

This isn't a total understatement. Italy is a good example that if you don't quarantine early enough, the rate can double much faster..

There's no need for panic, but we should be quite cautious. They have cancelled all audiences for sports events in the US and even thinking of cancelling the Olympics.

Be clean, try to get a lot of sleep to try and avoid the virus. Even if young people don't show symptoms they can carry it to many others.

37 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

In the last hour: 

• Trump not allowing travel to Europe
  •  Tom Hanks and his wife have the Coronavirus
  •  An NBA player tested positive
  • NBA season cancelled
  • Ellen no longer allowing a live studio audience

This is craziness :airpls: like who would've predicted all of this at the beginning of 2020?

lmfao a meme circulated at my college that basically listed colleges that cancelled classes till further notice followed by a photo sent to us en masse by our college's president that was like "sing the *insert our football team here* theme while you wash your hands so time flies!" and we were like ***** this cannot be real.

my state was one of the first half of states to get it which is weird bc we're not a big state for international travelers or a major commercial traffic hub. it also showed up in my city first (the second biggest) before our bigger city louisville too. the first patient in our state was/is being held like, 15 minute walk from me.. our college finally moved all classes to online til april 3rd. happy spring break everyone!

I try to stay positive, luckily it's not so pessimistic on the media already. I already completed my shopping and not going anywhere. Though I can see some events in my city not cancelled yet, I mean really? :ohi: We all are trying to do something to stay safe and healthy, I wash my hands like crazy, never enter a crowded place, I pretty much avoid people rn lol, and yet there are still some careless ones wandering around...

Archived