So... COVID-19?

Urbanney

2 minutes ago, rawbrit said:

I wonder what happened there, in Wuhan. What's necessary for a virus to mutate and boom like this? :mae:

There has been doctors that have come forward to say the Chinese government started it and those doctors disappeared the next day. So....idk

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm super scared, the media is really freaking out about this and it's not helping. I can see people panicking here too, today I tried to buy some food to stock up for the next week(s) and it's already hard to buy some things...

The schools and institutions are already closed. 

I know it will all pass, but the media is doing everything to scare people.

I live in Italy and work in a supermarket. It's honestly awful. 

We can't go out without valid motivation or leave our city, or we can be arrested.

I can still go to work cause supermarket are open, but it feels like wartime. 

I hope we can get over this as soon as possible. 

2 hours ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

I’m not worried about it. Do you know how many pandemics and apocalypses we’ve lived through in the past 2 decades. The US news and media is completely blowing it up and out of proportion. CV is nothing new and I’d you’re healthy to begin with, you’ll be fine, it’s literally just the flu. It’ll be alright. 

I hope so. I remember the swine flu/ebola crises but I feel as if this is a lot worse. It's sad to see so many events being cancelled/postponed because of it.

I'm trying to be as cautious as I can, and I'm washing my hands more. I'm still trying to go about my daily life. I don't usually get ill that often anyway and the last time I was ill it was a stomach bug so... 

At the moment my mum is ill and off work, but she rang the doctor this morning and the doctor thinks it's just tonsilitis as opposed to a cold or anything more serious than that. But the doctor told my mum to stay off work until she feels 100% better.

Then I found out that two weeks ago at my cousin's school, some students had just returned from a skiing trip in Italy and went to school... seriously?? Why would you do that after what's happened there? Thankfully they all tested negative for coronavirus but it's ironic because my cousin got ill as soon as they returned. He also ended up testing negative and it turned out he just had really bad flu but he had been off for two weeks and only returned to school on Monday.

55 minutes ago, rawbrit said:

I wonder what happened there, in Wuhan. What's necessary for a virus to mutate and boom like this? :mae:

I don't think it's still completely understood, but some believe it was due to the trafficking of unusual animals, like bats and stuff. They also talk about pangolins. There can be a lot of reasons, if people were actually eating them, or even if they weren't, it was easier to contaminate the food they were actually selling in that market. For the pictures I saw, it was really disgusting, they were literally cutting the meat on the floor. I mean, God knows what happens around the world in the markets we consume, or the restaurants we eat at, etc, but this just happened to be the exposed one, and it was awful. And probably most of the bacteria is supposed to die when the meat is cooked, but if it's seafood, I think they eat a lot of that raw :ugh:

I mean, I'm just rambling here lol when I searched about it I didn't find a concrete story or theory about how it all happened, but more or less that's what had been discussed by the testimony of the affected people (they all had some sort of contact with that seafood market).

There's also the fact that China's government tried to keep it secret for as much as they could, there's even the famous story of this doctor that "blew the whistle" and they didn't want to hear, and I think he ultimately passed away due to the virus. 

Then it got known around the world, but people from within China remained uninformed for the longest part (or so I read) so, again, without being aware of it, people just kept spreading the disease wherever they go. I think there's a lot of people, journalists, and normal people that are documenting the whole situation in China, but they have to do it secretly and it can only be read/seen outside of China.

50 minutes ago, Nickey said:

I'm super scared, the media is really freaking out about this and it's not helping. I can see people panicking here too, today I tried to buy some food to stock up for the next week(s) and it's already hard to buy some things...

The schools and institutions are already closed. 

I know it will all pass, but the media is doing everything to scare people.

where do you live?

2 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I don't think it's still completely understood, but some believe it was due to the trafficking of unusual animals, like bats and stuff. They also talk about pangolins. There can be a lot of reasons, if people were actually eating them, or even if they weren't, it was easier to contaminate the food they were actually selling in that market. For the pictures I saw, it was really disgusting, they were literally cutting the meat on the floor. I mean, God knows what happens around the world in the markets we consume, or the restaurants we eat at, etc, but this just happened to be the exposed one, and it was awful. And probably most of the bacteria is supposed to die when the meat is cooked, but if it's seafood, I think they eat a lot of that raw :ugh:

I mean, I'm just rambling here lol when I searched about it I didn't find a concrete story or theory about how it all happened, but more or less that's what had been discussed by the testimony of the affected people (they all had some sort of contact with that seafood market).

Pangolins? :tiffanycries:  sounds nasty

They should just really ban those markets after this  :surething: I mean come on

I’m not too worried about the virus itself as the mortality rates etc and that bad in contrast to other pandemics. Also my partner and I work alone which I’m grateful for rn. 
However, I am worried I won’t be able to get any toilet paper in the next few weeks! Idiots in Aus cleared that out along, with hand sanitiser and soap weeks ago. 
Hopefully the media will find something else to cover soon so the masses can calm down. I was sick of hearing about Megan and Harry, but I’ll take that over the constant fear mongering. 

2 hours ago, Britneyarmy8 said:

Don’t really get the people who are saying “it’s the flu” we literally know nothing about it yet and corona virus itself is still  mutating therefore it could get much worse

also a vaccine won’t be out for another 18 months 

the people that are saying that it’s ok if they get it and things shouldn’t be cancelled should realize that they could spread it to elderly, young kids, infants, people with comprised immune systems, asthma 

it’s not like people aren’t dying and it spreads wicked fast 

The flu is also constantly mutating. This is why vaccinations don’t always work,etc. Also the deadliest strands of viruses tend to ‘destroy themselves’ by killing the host and themselves.

No need to panic. It is too late to contain it, it is likely here to stay. Some people will die unfortunately, just like some people die from flu or even complications caused by the common cold.

3 hours ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

I’m not worried about it. Do you know how many pandemics and apocalypses we’ve lived through in the past 2 decades. The US news and media is completely blowing it up and out of proportion. CV is nothing new and I’d you’re healthy to begin with, you’ll be fine, it’s literally just the flu. It’ll be alright. 

Tell that to us - Europeans...:mhm: It's getting worse and worse every day. More and more people are getting sick and/or die in every country. People are buying everything from shops in panic mode, schools and public places are being closed etc... :nervousney:

I'm from Poland and we "only" have like 25-30 infected people (for now). But countries like France, England, Germany,Italy etc. are really struggling. There are more than 12000 infected people and more than 800 died in Italy alone... :sickofu::disappointed:

It's a mess. :decisions:

I work at a Biological Research Institute and we already had the virus figured out.

The virus was originated from bats then went into another animal then to humans through Wuhan wet meat market.

Its unique feature is that it has a very distinguished surface that allows it to "stick" into the membrane (cover) of the cell and just leech out what it can from the cell.

It's not dangerous because once the body discover that it is being leeched (normally in two weeks) it will start to fight it and here where the symptoms start (the symptoms start because the body just move all its power to fight the foreign body that was discovered leeching)

That's why young people don't need to worry, our immune system is strong enough to fight it back, some of us are even healthy enough to not show any symptoms and their antibodies just kick its butt before it gets any worse.

I think saying 80% of the population in the world will be infected is a very unrealistic assumption, even China where the virus broke out first didn't reach a rate of 80% infection, if the entire world become very careful we're going to notice a decline by May.

Besides, THERE IS a vaccine, but it needs time to be tested on humans, so it is not as bad as how some media makes it sound.

All what we need to do is be careful and stick at home as much as we can. lock downs are possible, everywhere and anywhere, but mainly just because it's a mechanism to slow it down and not to allow hospitals to be flooded with patients.

41 minutes ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

I don't know. Not much. I don't really care, tbh. I'd be more concerned about missing school than anything, but my uni has already released a statement saying that if things get bad enough they will turn a certain part of the curriculum into some online BS or whatever. :katycream:

Are you from the UK?

Archived