This was the original concept for Lady Gaga's ARTPOP album cover

Jordan Miller

• Leader

ESsYC9OXkAE_Ek-?format=jpg&name=small

Her ARTPOP could mean anything. :gagaf:

I'm not sure how long these have existed on the Internet, but a Gaga stan account on Twitter Tweeted about it today and it's getting some traction.

The artist, a man named Gianfranco Abela, published a post about the artwork he made. Here's what he had to say:

The album cover She didn't dare to release

About a year ago , my “little sister” Germanotta asked me for a picture of mine to be used for the cover of her outcoming album. I worked hard on a certain idea, but the draft that came out was not appreciated by LG and everything ended there.

Meanwhile the draft was sent to Saatchi&Saatchi to participate in a specific contest; again, no success for it. But that picture is still available on the S&S site.

Six months ago I re-considered that draft and carried out some small changes that, in my opinion, would improve it so to deserve the final transfer on canvas.

And I did that.

When ready, I showed the final picture to Gaga, also suggesting the title for her new album: “Lady Gaga pop *******”. Unfortunately, everything was rejected again because it was considered “too trashy, too transgressive, too old-style pop, too little like her”…..

Lady Gaga -  Jeff koonsA few weeks later, I came to see Gaga new album: the cover is by Jeff Koons, (the well-known ****-star picker and famous contemporary artist) and it really has a lot of my original work, although duly censored…. Dear miss Germanotta, how bourgeois you became! No courage to introduce yourself with my cover!

And it would have cost you far far less! However I don’t have it in for you, but for Jeff, who will be sued for damages by my lawyer….

The art is a lot to absorb. 

• The popcorn is an obvious reference to pop (music)
  • There are also stars (cause she is a star)
  • She's sitting on top of a hot dog (perhaps a reference to NYC)
  • She's getting, um, friendly with a cob of corn
  • Patriotic nods
  • She's disrobed 

It's understandable why Gaga decided to pass and employ Jeff Koons. Abela's work is cool, but imo not album cover worthy. In that aspect it's a mess.

Can you imagine the backlash if she rolled with this? 

Thoughts?

ESsY-riWkAAum7e?format=jpg&name=900x900

lady-gaga-artpop-alternate-cover.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Super Mods

Why am I smelling BS? It’s always years later they bring it up. 

plus I don’t see any concepts loons apparently stole. This looks like a parody album so how did he expect her to approve this? everyone likes to claim they are original :ririshade2:

That's gross. And so pretentious of him. And that's not Gaga. I've never seen her as overtly-******, even if she's been with few clothes many times before. She has another attitude towards ***, maybe more playful than "in your face" (like this decadent drawing).

I'm happy and satisfied with the Artpop album cover as it is. It's iconic.

Also, if she went with this drawing, then that would've meant changing the lyric on Applause that goes "one second I'm a Koons, then suddenly the Koons is me" and i like that line, so no. :ehum:

• Leader
13 hours ago, puppylo16 said:

Why am I smelling BS? It’s always years later they bring it up. 

plus I don’t see any concepts loons apparently stole. This looks like a parody album so how did he expect her to approve this? everyone likes to claim they are original :ririshade2:

I agree. I didn't see the likeness to what Jeff Koons designed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Archived