What are your music listening habits?

Jordan Miller

• Leader

Hey Exhale, wondering... what are your music listening habits? 

I find myself listening to music pretty much all the time (as you can imagine). I use Spotify. All my remixes, b-sides and physical downloads are on a hard drive somewhere so I don't get to enjoy them too often anymore. :awkblink:

I listen to music when I'm...

• Working on BreatheHeavy
  • Driving
  • Working out
  • In the shower

Yea... that's basically all hours of the day :selenerz:

It's worth mentioning I listen to a lot of podcasts as well. I tend to listen to them when I'm either driving or getting ready for bed. :truthtea:

HBU? Where do you find yourself listening to music the most?

listening-to-music.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I listen to music pretty much all the time as well except when I'm at uni / studying something that requires actual concentration. :katycream: I use Apple Music because I prefer the design and the way the library is organized compared to the mess that is Spotify. :mj: I have like a billion songs in my library (it takes over a minute to scroll through all of my songs and that's not counting K-Pop). I used to strictly go for shuffle mode, but these days I've gone back to listening to albums in full as well. :katybelt: As for podcasts... Yeah, I listen to those as well. The two podcasts that I listen to most are "Mile Higher" (conspiracies, true crime, mysteries) and "Big Mood" (girl talk even though I'm a guy). :katyfrog:

Just checked and I have 2672 songs in my library from like 80 or something artists. With K-Pop it'd be like 4000, tbh... :miley:

Music never stops for me because silence scares me. :ehum: Except when I need to go to sleep.

The moment I wake up - i reach for my tablet (connected to a speaker) and immediately play some music. I don't use Spotify that much because album art is very vital to my listening experience. I don't like listening to a single and seeing the album cover. Also, not complete. I only use Spotify when I want to listen to an album or artist that I don't like or don't have their music - but need to listen to their album because it's relevant and so i could get a sense of who they are as an artist. Examples of these are Halsey or Camila Cabello or Harry Styles. That's how I stay in-the-know even if I don't stan artists below the B list. I can't make judgments on Halsey without actually listening to her music, right? :yaknow:

I have a lot of music on my tablet and laptop. They both have everything. Literally, identical.

I'm a playlist person. Seriously. Not exaggerating. I am serious about playlist making. I have playlists for all the biggest and most important artists of our time - consisting of their singles arranged chronologically with proper tags and accurate HD album art. :mhm:

I read and watch news a lot and I have a habit of listening to an artist after reading or watching them on tv or on the net or a news article. Example, if I see Billboard posting a "Happy Birthday, Madonna!" then I'll play the Madonna playlist the entire day. If there are two celebrants, i'll listen to both artists. If i stumble upon an article like "Britney Spears In The Zone celebrates its 15th anniversary", then I'm playing ITZ the entire day. If I go on Twitter and I see "12 years of Break the Ice!" i'll listen to it... :nonono: well, not for the entire day but maybe for 2 hours. :cuteneylaugh: If Calvin Harris nude photos leak on Twitter, I'll listen to his entire discography. True story btw. I listened to Thank U, Next after the Grammys because #JusticeForThankUNext. I also listened to WWAFAWDWG because Billie cleaned up. My listening habits go with the times. Hehe.

Aside from playlists of each artists' singles discography (I have like around 100), I also have playlist for each of my favorite K-Drama soundtracks. And then I have assorted playlists like "Roxxy Moods", "Roxxy Vibes", "Roxxy Sl-t", "Roxxy Childhood" "Roxxy Anthems", "Roxxy Driving", "Roxxy Mad", "Roxxy Sad", "Roxxy Love", "Mariah Driving", "Good Morning Roxxy", "All. B.Spears", "Essential Roxxy", "Essential Roxxy K-Pop Edition", "The Emancipation of Roxxy", "Super Sentai Themes", "Anime Faves", "Easy Listening K-Pop", "SMTown", "YG Family", "JYP Nation", "Millenial Females", "K-Drama OST", "K-Drama OST Fat Free", "Legends Only", "K-Pop Sl-t", and the most basic and all around dump for new releases... "New New New". :haha:

I can’t have my phone at much during work, I’m a Pastry Chef so there’s flour everywhere. But I usually play Madonna’s Immaculate Collection when I’m cleaning up my bakery. 

But when I’m home I’m listening all the time. YouTube, my CDs and apple are my faves. I still love to play my Britney dvds and stuff too. I love a good physical piece of music, it speaks to my soul.  

I listen to a looot of music. I'm pretty weird so it's not only Britney, 2000s bops but also 1990s, 1980s, 1970s and even older music sometimes :jlostare:

I'd freak out if I had to use Spotify or something, nah. The quality of the sound, album covers and THE MESS in tags, well I can't stand that. Also a lot of vintage music is just not available there.

I like buying CDs and vinyl and even cassette, but I prefer listen to digital copies of those mostly. Vinyl is pretty cool but not for everyday use, also I need to buy CD and cassette decks to enjoy listening directly from those. But more about digital, I use my phone and laptop. Software is important here, cause with the amount of music I listen to, I have to have a good music player and organizer. I care about having all of the albums in right order, tagged properly and with the best album art cover possible, I often scan the CD/vinyl covers to get best results (high five, @Roxxy :kiss:)

And yeah, I listen to music almost all the time and almost everyday :)

17 minutes ago, Nickey said:

I'd freak out if I had to use Spotify or something, nah. The quality of the sound, album covers and THE MESS in tags, well I can't stand that.

This is exactly why I don't like using streaming platforms. It triggers me:embarrassney: Especially when I'm familiar with the music - and i'm familiar with a lot (the relevant ones). Also, it's not up to par with authentic m4a and flac files. You can clearly hear the difference even when I have Spotify premium. My main use for Spotify is to listen to podcasts. 

Also yeah ! HIGH FIVE! ❤❤❤

I listen to it a lot. Recently, I've been more into podcasts than music, but I usually listen to it a lot. It's always on Spotify, cuz I have local files set up on there.

• Walking to/from class, work, the gym
  • Driving
  • While working (split 50/50 with podcasts)
  • At the gym or while going on runs
  • While working on assignments or studying
  • While gaming (which I do rarely)

While I listen to music a lot and for almost every situation, I also spend a good amount of time not listening to anything too. I like a balance.

I also make a new playlist list every month with new music that I like. When I find a new song that I love it’s on repeat until I get sick if it. The rest of my music is broken up into 2 playlists, 80s and below and 90s and above. Plus some other sub categories like Britney, Rihanna, boy bands, dance pop, etc. I listen to the oldies playlist the most lately, I feel like there’s some kind of psychology behind that like it reminds me of being a kid and simpler times. I use Apple Music from my phone connected to the house speakers or my car and I listen to music when I’m cleaning, driving and showering. I also listen to podcasts and audiobooks.

I tend to find myself listening to music in the evenings, sometimes late at night after I've finished work (When I work, I finish at midnight and listening to music after I've finished a long shift relaxes me almost)

I use Spotify and just tend to stick certain songs I've been listening to on repeat. I have a habit of listening to new songs for only a certain number of days and then taking a break from them as I don't want to overplay them.

On 3/9/2020 at 7:00 PM, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

I don't use Spotify since I'm too petty to pay for premium and the low volume and the ads just bother me :katyfrog:

So I convert YouTube audios into MP3 files and download and listen *offline to save data* on Google Play Music :inbed:

Others would call it Pirating or illegal but I'd like to call it saving money :duh:

DDDD one of my friends still does this, glad to see he's not the only one :tbh: 

I used to listen to music all of the time on my phone, on my way to work / home, and at my previous job I would listen to music all day while programming. 

Not so much at home, unless it's from a youtube video (I spent all my free time watching youtube videos, of all kinds, not just music).

But ever since I changed jobs, I find myself listening to less music than before, because they're always talking to me :ehum:  or my coworker makes me listen to his music or podcasts. Also, I work less hours so time flies faster, and I don't feel the need to distract myself, but I need to go back to listening to my music because I can't live without it.

On 3/9/2020 at 12:00 PM, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

I don't use Spotify since I'm too petty to pay for premium and the low volume and the ads just bother me :katyfrog:

So I convert YouTube audios into MP3 files and download and listen *offline to save data* on Google Play Music :inbed:

Others would call it Pirating or illegal but I'd like to call it saving money :duh:

I do that as well. Except for Britney's music, which I just copied it from the physical albums (sans unavailable bonus tracks). Most of the stuff I listen to from other artists are sparse songs, or even stuff from Mexican artists from the 80's / 90's that for some reason isn't on digital platforms. 

Whenever I can, I stream from youtube instead, if they're available. 

6 hours ago, Roxxy said:

Also, it's not up to par with authentic m4a and flac files. 

99% of the music I have on my computer is in FLAC or m4a lossless :gaspney:

1% of those flops are in MP3 or other lossy formats, but it's only when it's never released officially like Britney demos or it's out of print and it's impossible to buy a copy 

9 minutes ago, Nickey said:

99% of the music I have on my computer is in FLAC or m4a lossless :gaspney:

1% of those flops are in MP3 or other lossy formats, but it's only when it's never released officially like Britney demos or it's out of print and it's impossible to buy a copy 

Same. I will not accept listening to music if it's not m4a or flac. Atleast not on my house. I just can't. It's just... ugh. But I'm fine with whatever music I hear when I'm at another person's place. I don't judge. But just for me, for myself, for my own sanity, I will not accept anything less. :nyschool: Although, whenever I'm at someone else's place - usually people are always nice and offer that if I have it, i should just connect my tablet or laptop to their speakers. Ahhh~ I love considerate people. ❤:bigkiss:

The only mp3 files I have are the leaked demos, anime soundtracks, kdrama soundtracks, super sentai soundtracks, you know unimportant stuff that I'm okay ripping from Youtube or getting from the net. :haha:

Archived