We been knew... "Female artists are more creative than male artists"

Jordan Miller

• Leader

This is super interesting, and I think most of us can agree... completely true. :shaktongue:

Rolling Stone published a report explaining, in essence, that female artists are more creative than male artists. Imo, women are generally superior beings, and there's data to back it up now. :clap:

They identified three key variables that affect creative work and career advancement: collaboration network size, network composition, and genre compositions.

Here are a few highlights from the article worth your undivided attention:

Estrogen is an asset, it turns out. A new study from music researchers has found that women are engaged in creative fields like art, music and literature at higher rates than men — and are generally more creative than men.

The data, which pulled from a bank of 250,000 songs produced and released between 1955 and 2000, showed no noteworthy difference between men and women when it came to the output of creative work. When the gender composition of genres and the size of an artist’s network of collaborators were taken into consideration, though, the scholars found that female artists actually create more novel songs — works that are more musically fresh and unusual — than male artists.

“These results suggest that social factors, rather than differences in raw ability, are responsible for gender disparities in creative production,” researchers wrote.

“For the same levels of performance, women tend to receive more negative evaluations than men, and they have to outperform men to receive comparable evaluations. To overcome this ‘double standard,’ female minorities work harder.”

The study notes that in business settings, men’s independent entrepreneurial behavior is usually celebrated — while women get negatively referred to as bossy or disruptive. But women have a certain creative advantage in music because they’re more collaborative and open to working with others. “In the context of creative production, female artists may actually benefit more from large collaboration networks than male artists,” the study says. “The latter are constrained by expectations that ‘real men’ do not engage in behaviors like seeking help.”

Source: Rolling Stone

I'm scared to ask, but... Exhalers, do you think women are more creative than men? :demi:

women-men-music.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michael Jackson and Pete Burns (of Dead or Alive) are the only male artists I stan...or even like.

I agree with this 100% partially it could be cuz of the difficulties they have had to overcome (in reference to sexism and stuff) they have always been heavily criticised and forced to "prove themselves". Not saying this treatment was good, but it definitely is a factor.

Slay queens :clap: :clap1: :bop:

all the best creative minds are either A. female or B. queer men and we been knew! i think part of it is that queer men (maybe not trans men tho but idk i don't rlly know any trans men in music) are oriented to be more like women, even in terms of brain anatomy + evolutionarily it's possible that our purpose was to stay behind with the women and essentially A. tend to and guide the kids while women gathered food n built stuff and B. protect them and the stuff while they were distracted, so we're intertwined in that sense. and with that, i think we blend more with women in that, vs straight men, connecting and cooperating is > competition and sheer achievement and thus i think women and queer men by extension are more keen on artistic expression and making connection than (straight) men. i think female artists are more likely to unite disparate elements and really blend themselves with the music and the music with their lives and soul more than men do (who may be more oriented towards "technical" aspects over the emotional and expressive parts). i think that's actually why they may gravitate towards pop music, too, as pop music is really about creatively blending all aspects of music into the most centralized and cohesive form possible, taking the essence of the culture and guiding the evolution of it with their art. seems like more specific isolated niche genre works are male oriented ala metal, electronic music below the mainstream (think stuff like deep house or hardcore etc) as maybe it's more focused on "being the best" so to speak vs making connections and expressing themselves.

i wonder where lesbians fit into the equation as they do have things in line with straight men the same as gay men to straight women....hm

20 minutes ago, NormaJeanSpears said:

all the best creative minds are either A. female or B. queer men and we been knew! i think part of it is that queer men (maybe not trans men tho but idk i don't rlly know any trans men in music) are oriented to be more like women, even in terms of brain anatomy + evolutionarily it's possible that our purpose was to stay behind with the women and essentially A. tend to and guide the kids while women gathered food n built stuff and B. protect them and the stuff while they were distracted, so we're intertwined in that sense. and with that, i think we blend more with women in that, vs straight men, connecting and cooperating is > competition and sheer achievement and thus i think women and queer men by extension are more keen on artistic expression and making connection than (straight) men. i think female artists are more likely to unite disparate elements and really blend themselves with the music and the music with their lives and soul more than men do (who may be more oriented towards "technical" aspects over the emotional and expressive parts). i think that's actually why they may gravitate towards pop music, too, as pop music is really about creatively blending all aspects of music into the most centralized and cohesive form possible, taking the essence of the culture and guiding the evolution of it with their art. seems like more specific isolated niche genre works are male oriented ala metal, electronic music below the mainstream (think stuff like deep house or hardcore etc) as maybe it's more focused on "being the best" so to speak vs making connections and expressing themselves.

i wonder where lesbians fit into the equation as they do have things in line with straight men the same as gay men to straight women....hm

uv just basically wrote a complete insult to science... u've pushed it further than fantasy 

that part about someone's sexuality and duality w/ the 'straight group' :mj:

& to answer to the thread: I don't know, both have shown some impressive things, in various domains, such as literature, painting, cooking, etc. (don't forget them lol), some disciplines contain more men than women, and others contain more women than men, but idk which *** is above the other in terms of that. 

1 minute ago, conceptuel said:

uv just basically wrote a complete insult to science... u've pushed it further than fantasy 

that part about someone's sexuality and duality w/ the 'straight group' :mj:

& to answer to the thread: I don't know, both have shown some impressive things, in various domains, such as literature, painting, cooking, etc. (don't forget them lol), some disciplines contain more men than women, and others contain more women than men, but idk which *** is above the other in terms of that. 

mm no

the brains of gay people being more like the opposite ***: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2008/jun/16/neuroscience.psychology

this one discusses research that implicates "gay" men in care of nieces and nephews and mentions some theories that the pre-modern conceptions of gay men were essentially third genders (of which there are many examples of biologically male but third gender occupying social classes worldwide): https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human-body/the-evolutionary-paradox-of-homosexuality/

the implicaton is that various genes & epigenetic-driven things (thats a bad way to put it but the library is closing and i have to type fast and get my stuff and leave, so) that may benefit women reproductive success also boosts the chance of men being more female-inclined as it would provide a family figure capable of benefiting survival of children and protection without producing their own children to offset the help they bring. also the bit about women being more inclined to cooperation in society is definitely not made up...it's likely to stem at least partially from necessity in being gatherers whereas competition is parallel. it would still be a way of bonding, that's not me saying that straight men are unemotional lol, it's just different variation in how one bonds and expresses stemming from a thousand biological and evolutionary factors and the interplay with society. this is also a britney spears forum so i didn't think i would need to lay out a clear cut research thesis & abstract, but...here we are

I disagree. :liar: What I can agree with is that the bar / standard for male artists is lower when it comes to becoming hugely successful. Just look at Ed Sheeran. He is as basic as they get while being one of the biggest stars in the world right now. Shawn Mendes too. :receipts2: This is as dumb a blanket statement as saying "all mainstream music sounds the same". Broaden your horizons and you'll see that you're wrong. :umok:

13 hours ago, NormaJeanSpears said:

mm no

the brains of gay people being more like the opposite ***: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2008/jun/16/neuroscience.psychology

this one discusses research that implicates "gay" men in care of nieces and nephews and mentions some theories that the pre-modern conceptions of gay men were essentially third genders (of which there are many examples of biologically male but third gender occupying social classes worldwide): https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human-body/the-evolutionary-paradox-of-homosexuality/

the implicaton is that various genes & epigenetic-driven things (thats a bad way to put it but the library is closing and i have to type fast and get my stuff and leave, so) that may benefit women reproductive success also boosts the chance of men being more female-inclined as it would provide a family figure capable of benefiting survival of children and protection without producing their own children to offset the help they bring. also the bit about women being more inclined to cooperation in society is definitely not made up...it's likely to stem at least partially from necessity in being gatherers whereas competition is parallel. it would still be a way of bonding, that's not me saying that straight men are unemotional lol, it's just different variation in how one bonds and expresses stemming from a thousand biological and evolutionary factors and the interplay with society. this is also a britney spears forum so i didn't think i would need to lay out a clear cut research thesis & abstract, but...here we are

Citing a tabloid as a scientific source :jj:

Seriously, your articles are just popularizing works: those are ‘scientific studies’ but nothing admitted as official knowledge. According to them, it may be the case, but nothing’s been confirmed so far, and those propositions of symmetry between the two brains (kinda bad expression, english ain’t my first language sorry) of a gay guy and a straight girl has been a study published 12 years ago, and nothing new confirmed that. The amount of people whose brains have been studied is not enough: 90 people among which there are 25 straight girls, all in their thirties. They even admitted that this study may be the start of a more global study to prove anything. However, nothing’s been done, making all of this scientifically wrong. And, this asymmetry in your brain is heterogeneous and a macroscopic setting different for each individual making any conclusion hard to settle. Hence the complexity of ****** orientation undermining.

On 3/8/2020 at 1:47 AM, NormaJeanSpears said:

mm no

the brains of gay people being more like the opposite *******: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2008/jun/16/neuroscience.psychology

This article is from 2008. It was a sort of 'way' to a wider study to confirm it, or not.
And nothing's been scientifically (= with a rigorous method) proved since then (12 years). Add to that, that study involved too little people to undermine anything. The Guardian isn't a reliable source though. 

Plus, you're making assumptions of the Rolling Stones study that already seems questionable for me: in what domains are women more creative than men precisely? Don't forget that creativity can be seen through... literally almost all domains: from mathematics, to literature. 
And what do you mean by 'most creative minds being queers/women'? The reality is way more complex than that... just saying that you've done a sort of shortcut... 

Archived