Kylie Jenner channeling Beyonce

Jordan Miller

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Leader
2 minutes ago, rik said:

no but her family genuinely does use black face and appropriates and commodifies off of things that are inherent to black culture. amidst having middle eastern features (and moreso kim, kloe, and kourtney than the jenner sisters) due to ther arminian background, they are all fully white women. i don't think it's unfair or unjust for me to point out the obvious. i'm not shaming her, blackfishing is a genuine social media practice whereby white instagram influencers pose as black models, amidst not being white. technically they identify as white and have never claimed to be black (because apparently that's a thing). the issue is not only that black face historically has done an injustice to black folk all around the world, but that white people like kylie are taking opportunities while commodifying off of features and now skin tone, which resembles that of a black woman's. 

i know it's not the vibe, but it's the truth. i don't think we should be censoring it. britney never relied on commodifying black culture (contrasting justin timberlake and christina aguilera), even during a time when political correctness was not as prominent. if we can pride ourselves and hold ourselves to that standard of celebrity where we understand that you can be authentic without having to be offensive or harmful to others (britney being a prime example of that), i think it's okay to mention the obvious here. the kardashians have been doing this for years and i'm not the first person to point this out 

blackfishing-kulture-hub-770x385.jpg

Phrased this way, with that kind of analysis and depth, makes a lot more sense to me than your original comment. 

On 3/6/2020 at 8:20 PM, rik said:

no but her family genuinely does use black face and appropriates and commodifies off of things that are inherent to black culture. amidst having middle eastern features (and moreso kim, kloe, and kourtney than the jenner sisters) due to ther arminian background, they are all fully white women. i don't think it's unfair or unjust for me to point out the obvious. i'm not shaming her, blackfishing is a genuine social media practice whereby white instagram influencers pose as black models, amidst not being white. technically they identify as white and have never claimed to be black (because apparently that's a thing). the issue is not only that black face historically has done an injustice to black folk all around the world, but that white people like kylie are taking opportunities while commodifying off of features and now skin tone, which resembles that of a black woman's. 

i know it's not the vibe, but it's the truth. i don't think we should be censoring it. britney never relied on commodifying black culture (contrasting justin timberlake and christina aguilera), even during a time when political correctness was not as prominent. if we can pride ourselves and hold ourselves to that standard of celebrity where we understand that you can be authentic without having to be offensive or harmful to others (britney being a prime example of that), i think it's okay to mention the obvious here. the kardashians have been doing this for years and i'm not the first person to point this out 

blackfishing-kulture-hub-770x385.jpg

u Americans are definitely weirdos with that 'x culture appropriation' stuff tbh

so wearing a pair of jeans makes u committing an 'American culture appropriation'? :juggingu:

or them being in movies w/ culturally white characters are 'European culture appropriation'?

that's just a hairstyle and some makeup stuff not a ****** lmao

Not saying this to be mean, I don't have anything against Kylie, her family or anyone sporting this style but I'm surprised this "painted-on" face makeup look where everyone draws on the same features hasn't fully gone out of style yet. It was cool in 2014 but I got tired of seeing it very quickly. The same big lips, the same sharp eyebrows, the same fake lashes. :brityawning:

11 hours ago, rik said:

I'm not American. Also no it doesn't because jeans were created in a time whereby all races had assimilated in what was considered to be a melting pot. 

also given that girls are pretending to be black, i think this goes beyond a simple notion of 'cultural appropriation' and fully crosses over into colonial legacies. i know you won't get it, as a lot of white gay men on here apparently fail to see to intersectional aspect of anything (and this is coming from someone who doesn't even associate with political correctness all the time). know you history of jim crow laws, understand the contemporary injustices experienced by non-black and specifically black POC relative to your existence. 

Also, given that jeans have been highly ingrained into fast fashion production sites like Bangaldesh and so forth, I think your point about jeans being European is officially invalid. thanks

Jeans are def American culture tho, at least in last century.

I’m not a white gay male either :bieber: 

I know a lot about the situation in the US.

Overall, I think it’s just being oversensitive: wearing dreadlocks doesn’t make you ‘black’, appreciating fashion from the black community, Asian community or any other country doesn’t make you appropriating one’s culture.

I’m blonde and wore Boxer Braids, made by an Arabic girl that wore them herself:britoverit:

We didn’t get some complains about black culture appropriation cause that’s not a thing. It’s just a fashion that we found cool. And I grew up in a ghetto as a Kosovo-Palestinian girl (slay that mix with ur origin countries being inexistant for half of the world):ohi: 

Once again, the black people hired in Cinderella dressed as French in the XVIIIth century is culturally inappropriate. And that’s the mess with Hollywood: making histories in a white environments as if the Blacks didn’t have any history to tell.

And ‘Black culture’ is quite false, there’s something like 30 Black countries, Black communities within Central and South America, North America, and Australia and all of them are extremely different, physically and culturally between Ethiopia, Madagascar and the USA there’s 3 worlds.

On 3/8/2020 at 7:54 PM, rik said:

My apologies for assuming who you were. This is what I'm saying however, there is a fine line between appropriation and appreciation. While the debate surrounding dreadlocks has become more prominent within the last decade (with what I believe really just received greater attention because of the spread of social media), there is a reason for this. For decades and decades black boys and girls have been kicked out of school or forced to cut their hair because their dreads or hairstyles technically did not 'fit' the dress code. Black hair is generally more textured, and requires different treatments and procedures to ensure that hair can be protected. whether it's braids, dreads, or weaves, there's an actual utility for black people in using these hairstyling techniques, and it's not a matter of some 'fashion' that you found cool. 

This is why black people are offended when white and non-black POC utilize these hairstyles. 

Additionally, your point about jeans. They actually spread in popularity in America when it was already mosaic. Prior to that they originated in jeans, and were often altered by labourers that utilized cotton and fabrics picked and extracted by BLACK SLAVES. 

Also, your point about Cinderella. I agree that black people have stories to tell, but cinderella is literally a fictional story which involves princesses, talking mice, and a pumpkin that turns into a carriage. Do you think Cinderella is based off of a real story? Because at that point, these 'Victorian dresses' that you are referencing does not fit. It's a fictional story based on a BOOK. pretty sure cinderella characters can be any colour, green even if disney wanted to.

Black culture is generalized, and I am not denying that. I agree with you on that point, however there are pieces taken from African cultures all around, as well as black communities within the Americas. Your ignorance is really showing right now. even if you aren't a white person, anti-blackness is widespread throughout ALL societies and ALL cultures. whether it's genuine historical slavery, bleaching, colourism, and so forth black people have prominently been displayed as inferior. You being a POC changes nothing about the circumstances of black people, and for you to belittle an experience you've never had is super insulting. 

Braids are not a 'black hairstyle' historically though. 
Then, my bad, I didn't know everything about the historical background of dreadlocks in the US. I understand. I guess that in Europe it's just a different perception, since most of those hairstyle don't offend them (and we even have sweatshops for those hairstyles in the streets). 

For Cinderella, well, Mulan is definitely not based on a true story. However, would you mind if the actress that played her was, idk, Turkish or Australian? That's what I'm trying to say. At some points, it's quite ridiculous to be that sensitive.

Don't forget that there are various Black people with various histories around the world. Not everybody has that American background with the Jim Crow Laws. Not being oversensitive enough to be able to exchange some hairstyle tips can be a great way to unite, instead of being constantly 'virtually' segregated. 

And I didn't use the fact of being a POC (even though physically I'm more white) to belittle anything. Let alone not knowing that anti-blackness is widespread over the world. Once again, there are different historical backgrounds through the world, making each 'cultural appropriation' available or not in a territory. I do understand that it may be hard for Americans, since it wasn't that long ago. 

Archived