Is Dua Lipa a main pop girl? Watch her new "Let's Get Physical" work out video

Kuzco

Is Dua Lipa a main pop girl?  

197 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, Roxxy said:

I voted NO. Feel free to downvote me. :akii:

She's only had 2 major hits so far. New Rules and the far superior single from this era - Don't Start Now. A true bop in every aspect.

She's still indie to me. And let me clarify why I think that. Just because she's the only girl right now doing choreo and doing pure pop at this day and age, it don't mean she's a main pop girl. What, do we make pop girls out of anyone just cause were that thirsty for pop songs and it's literally the only choice available? I thought Britney fans are some of the most critical and picky pop music lovers because we've grown accustomed to one of the most iconic discographies in the history of pop. Or was it just me? I guess it's only me because I am elitist like that and I'm not sorry.

This single is still not doing it for me. But she's new so she has a lot of time to grow. This is only her second era afterall. Maybe after this album cycle, she can be a true main pop girl. That is, if everything goes as planned and is ultra successful because so faaar, Physical stalled at an abysmal #60 on the Hot 100. The UK chart which is her strongest market, Physical didn't even crack the top 10. Yet some "brain fart Exhalers" are still delusional but that is the tea, folks. Physical underperformed:reductive:

But alas, despite all the raving about her, she's still polarizing to Exhalers as evidenced in this poll. Yet again another poll in which she isn't getting full support. So maybe I guess, Britney fans are still picky.

As we should. 

Physical hasn't even been sent to US radio or put on any streaming playlists of course it's not gonna chart well here. And it's stable in UK while she's still promoting DSN through radio and streaming. She's not gonna promote Physical when DSN has a chance of peaking higher in America:bedtime:

15 minutes ago, MakeMeFweaky said:

Physical hasn't even been sent to US radio or put on any streaming playlists of course it's not gonna chart well here. And it's stable in UK while she's still promoting DSN through radio and streaming. She's not gonna promote Physical when DSN has a chance of peaking higher in America:bedtime:

What is this the 2000s? It's 2020. Singles don't have to rely on radio to peak. There's Spotify and iTunes. Hehe. If Physical is really as big as everyone thinks it is, she don't need radio.

Lose You To Love Me went to #1 on the Hot 100 on the strength of streaming. It topped Billboard Streaming Songs Chart with 38 million on it's first full week of tracking. Also, Billboard has adjusted the Hot 100 formula in 2018 and made streaming the largest share on the formula. This change is favorable to an artist such as Dua Lipa and Physical because she is a streaming force. And yet, #60.

:bedtime:

1 hour ago, Roxxy said:

What is this the 2000s? It's 2020. Singles don't have to rely on radio to peak. There's Spotify and iTunes. Hehe. If Physical is really as big as everyone thinks it is, she don't need radio.

Lose You To Love Me went to #1 on the Hot 100 on the strength of streaming. It topped Billboard Streaming Songs Chart with 38 million on it's first full week of tracking. Also, Billboard has adjusted the Hot 100 formula in 2018 and made streaming the largest share on the formula. This change is favorable to an artist such as Dua Lipa and Physical because she is a streaming force. And yet, #60.

First off, Selena's singles were heavily promoted on the top streaming playlists and had intense radio play. Second, Selena's other singles Look At Her Now and Rare barely cracked top 30 in both USA and UK and dropped immediately, and she is supposed to be one of the biggest streaming forces of the pop industry. And yes it's 2020, meaning pop isn't the dominating genre anymore. People like Gaga, Katy, and yes Britney are barely getting chart topping hits without dropping in the next two weeks of their charting.

Also I wanna clarify that I don't think she's a main pop girl yet. But she has more potential than anybody else in the industry and having one of the best pop eras this year.:bedtime:

1 hour ago, MakeMeFweaky said:

First off, Selena's singles were heavily promoted on the top streaming playlists and had intense radio play. Second, Selena's other singles Look At Her Now and Rare barely cracked top 30 in both USA and UK and dropped immediately, and she is supposed to be one of the biggest streaming forces of the pop industry. And yes it's 2020, meaning pop isn't the dominating genre anymore. People like Gaga, Katy, and yes Britney are barely getting chart topping hits without dropping in the next two weeks of their charting.

Also I wanna clarify that I don't think she's a main pop girl yet. But she has more potential than anybody else in the industry and having one of the best pop eras this year.:bedtime:

First off, I don't know if its clear to you but I have nothing against Dua Lipa because I adore Don't Start Now and I also don't hate Dua Lipa as an artist. Like I said in my first post, she has potential and I acknowledge that and ok so we have the same opinion about her. Great. But just wanted to let you know that this is all just about Physical underperforming. Because one member tried to come for me earlier (not you) and I had to let a b-tch know. TEEHEE ❤

Anyway...

Never Really Over by Katy Perry debuted at #15 on the Hot 100 with no promo and only a music video - just like Physical. It's first live performance was more than a month after and it's not even a tv performance. This is a copout but I'm mentioning this to you as evidence that NRO also had zero promo just like Physical. It debuted in the top 20 of the Hot 100 on the strength of it's 15 million something streams - i forgot the exact number. And Katy Perry isn't even a streaming force like Selena and the more powerful force that is Dua Lipa. Her career had already died when NRO came out while Dua Lipa was hitting the big streaming numbers not even from New Rules but from her succeeding bops. My point is, Dua Lipa is bigger than Katy now. Both singles having no promo and only a music video, and one artist being the cancelled flop and one being hailed as the new it girl. And yet, #60.

1 hour ago, Roxxy said:

First off, I don't know if its clear to you but I have nothing against Dua Lipa because I adore Don't Start Now and I also don't hate Dua Lipa as an artist. Like I said in my first post, she has potential and I acknowledge that and ok so we have the same opinion about her. Great. But just wanted to let you know that this is all just about Physical underperforming. Because one member tried to come for me earlier (not you) and I had to let a b-tch know. TEEHEE ❤

Anyway...

Never Really Over by Katy Perry debuted at #15 on the Hot 100 with no promo and only a music video - just like Physical. It's first live performance was more than a month after and it's not even a tv performance. This is a copout but I'm mentioning this to you as evidence that NRO also had zero promo just like Physical. It debuted in the top 20 of the Hot 100 on the strength of it's 15 million something streams - i forgot the exact number. And Katy Perry isn't even a streaming force like Selena and the more powerful force that is Dua Lipa. Her career had already died when NRO came out while Dua Lipa was hitting the big streaming numbers not even from New Rules but from her succeeding bops. My point is, Dua Lipa is bigger than Katy now. Both singles having no promo and only a music video, and one artist being the cancelled flop and one being hailed as the new it girl. And yet, #60.

However, and very important Lead Single > Second Single. NRO had radio support unlike Physical and then her other singles Small Talk and HIH reached bubbling under. If you were to compare NRO to anything, it would be DSN, which is currently stable at #5 and is gonna have a third week being #1 on radio

12 hours ago, Urbanney said:

I voted no. I think she has ‘it’ to become a main pop girl. However,  she still feels like one of the more underground/indie artists like MARINA, Charli XCX, Julia Michaels, etc. that have had major successes but don’t have a huge dedicated fan base and aren’t followed religiously like who I view as main pop girls like Billie Eilish, Taylor Swift, Beyoncé, Rihanna, etc. 

Billie Eilish? 

26 minutes ago, MakeMeFweaky said:

However, and very important Lead Single > Second Single. NRO had radio support unlike Physical and then her other singles Small Talk and HIH reached bubbling under. If you were to compare NRO to anything, it would be DSN, which is currently stable at #5 and is gonna have a third week being #1 on radio

NRO didn't have radio support. It was sent to radio at the end of its first tracking week or like the following week. Like, what I already said, it only had a music video as promo during its debut week. The mv was released the same day or like the following day. So again, it's the same with Physical.

Being lead is a factor but not really. Not anymore. Not in this streaming age. And here's why. Since you mentioned that Physical is the second single. Let's use that. I'll also use a similar streaming force to Dua Lipa for equal footing.

Nightmare by Halsey was promoted as the second official single from Manic following Without Me. It was released with only a music video and on digital and streaming platforms - just like Physical. It was sent to radio at the end of tracking week just like NRO. And it debuted on the Hot 100 at #15 on the strength of... again, streaming. Because Halsey is a streaming force just like Dua Lipa. And yet, #60.

EDIT: I forgot to add. Nightmare didn't share the same acclaim of Physical when it was released. The latter was literally the talk of the town and on Twitter and on Exhale. Nevermind the critics because they're out of touch with the gp. But pop music news sites like Idolator etc (which are more similar in gp taste) were raving about it. But all those tweets and posts didn't translate into streams. Because, it simply isn't that good as people like to think it is. It's just a thirst quenching song because we ARE ALL thirsty for pop music and it was the only one available apart from what we already have/what has already been released by other artists including Dua Lipa herself. It simply isn't as good as DTN.

11 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

NRO didn't have radio support. It was sent to radio at the end of its first tracking week or like the following week. Like, what I already said, it only had a music video as promo during its debut week. The mv was released the same day or like the following day. So again, it's the same with Physical.

Being lead is a factor but not really. Not anymore. Not in this streaming age. And here's why. Since you mentioned that Physical is the second single. Let's use that. I'll also use a similar streaming force to Dua Lipa for equal footing.

Nightmare by Halsey was promoted as the second official single from Manic following Without Me. It was released with only a music video and on digital and streaming platforms - just like Physical. It was sent to radio at the end of tracking week just like NRO. And it debuted on the Hot 100 at #15 on the strength of... again, streaming. Because Halsey is a streaming force just like Dua Lipa. And yet, #60.

EDIT: I forgot to add. Nightmare didn't share the same acclaim of Physical when it was released. The latter was literally the talk of the town and on Twitter and on Exhale. Nevermind the critics because they're out of touch with the gp. But pop music news sites like Idolator etc (which are more similar in gp taste) were raving about it. But all those tweets and posts didn't translate into streams. Because, it simply isn't that good as people like to think it is. It's just a thirst quenching song because we ARE ALL thirsty for pop music and it was the only one available apart from what we already have/what has already been released by other artists including Dua Lipa herself. It simply isn't as good as DTN.

Good points however both of those songs were released to radio unlike Physical. And NRO was officially sent 4 days after release but had major support on the first day:

24 minutes ago, MakeMeFweaky said:

Good points however both of those songs were released to radio unlike Physical. And NRO was officially sent 4 days after release but had major support on the first day:

But a top 15 debut would not be possible because of just an additional radio support for a few days. Even if it were to be released to radio for a full week, songs don't get big impressions on it's debut week. A top 20 debut on Billboard Radio Songs is a tough feat. At the end of the day, it is sales and streams that contribute greatly to their debut week ranking on the Hot 100. Do you honestly, think Nightmare peaked at #15 because of big numbers from radio? And again, the Hot 100 formula has been altered to give streaming a larger share. And streaming giants such as Halsey and Dua Lipa would benefit greatly from this. And yet, why didn't Physical peak higher than #60 on the Hot 100. Okay, never mind a top 20 debut. But not even crack the Top 40? Being a streaming giant and streaming having the bigger share on the Hot 100 formula? You really think it was that big of a loss that it doesn't have radio airplay?

Ok, nvm the US. Let's talk UK. Which is a big market and Dua Lipa's main market. Why didn't Physical debut in the top 10? Is it because DTN is still charting? No that doesn't matter because other streaming giants like Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift have charted multiple top 10s in the UK in a single week. Literally while a current song is being promoted and then a new single comes, the new single still managed a top 10 debut. And they're not even as big of a force as Dua Lipa when it comes to streaming. Dua Lipa is a force and is capable of placing a new single in the top 10 simultaneously with an older single.

Sh-t why didnt i think of... Ariana Grande and the singles from TUN. She's also a streaming force. Again, nowadays during debut week, radio doesn't play that big of a factor because it's importance is for stability and longevity in the charts because radio airplay takes time to grow. You don't debut at #1 on Billboard Radio Songs. No one does. Atleast not today. But you can on Billboard Streaming Songs and Digital Songs. When it comes to debut weeks, it is really streaming and sales that drive the song to its debut ranking. Ari was able to do this twice. With 7 Rings and BUWYGIB. Ok, lets use 7 Rings cause its a second single like Physical and its also a followup to an already monter hit that was TUN same with DTN. She's also a streaming force like Dua Lipa. And yet, #60.

@MakeMeFweaky

Roddy Rich and The Box.

Before The Box, Roddy Rich was a nobody. His previous single and not even first or second, it was his third already (which means the era is about to close and singles usually perform weaker) peaked somewhere in the bottom of the Hot 100. When The Box was released as the fourth single, it debuted at #47 on the Hot 100. Wait for it. Its only released to streaming and digital platforms. It was not sent to radio until the 6th week when it official topped the Hot 100. It didn't even have a video until 2 months after or something. It was carried to its #47 debut on the strength of streaming alone as it topped Billboard Streaming Songs on its debut week. It topped Streaming Songs for a second week and it still didn't yet make it to #1 but it already outpeaked Physical. Roddy Rich is irrelevant. Literally nobody knew of him other than his family and friends before The Box. He didn't even have a current hit on the charts which is far worse than an it girl blooming in the mainstream with every live performance of her currently charting hit - which should help Physical get attention, and it did. But it didn't peak higher on its debut week simply because it's just not that great of a song. We're just all thirsty. Its worth noting that with all that thirst, it should've gotten more streams on its first week. Just think for a sec, even without radio, being a streaming force, don't you honestly think it should've atleast peaked higher than #60? Honestly tho? I don't get why you keep forcing radio airplay like as if a song debuts with 60 million audience impressions in its debut week. No one does that. Because impressions take time to grow. Roddy Rich is not even on the level of Dua Lipa who is an established streaming giant already. And yet, #60 for a debut week.

idk what to answer.

i do like the video. i think it's really smart to make work out video cause nowadays a lot of ppl r really into fitness and stuff. it def would encourage ppl to work out to her songs.:bop:

ppl who r promoting her doing really good job.:bareclap:

also she is very likeable. didn't listen her whole album but i do like this song and dont start now. both r bops. 

Laughing at some of you fighting over this. Dua is not the "it" pop girl but this is the era that will make her get there, and so far it has been very well planned as she is providing solid pop bangers, great visuals, great performances and looks. She's becoming a peformer and I salute her and her team because of the efforts in finding moves that suit her cause its not easy, specially when you dont have a "dancer" type of body. So far so great.

With no Britney around I chose Dua, Billie and Ari to fill that soft spot. Now Im just waiting september for Adele.

20 hours ago, Roxxy said:

Anyway...

but katy's been in the industry over a decade and has had huge, massive success so she has name recognition and star status, dua is still earning that kind of status. selena, while not as big as katy, is massive in name and was in the news persistently bc of her life, her health issues, her relationship history, the hyped for her much delayed next album, etc. also there are likely differences in the music consumption habits of katy perry's main fanbase vs dua's--they're going to be different in age and taste in music and habits. i don't think dua is a main pop girl just yet but i think, unless FN bombs (which i see as very improbable), she will officially be there. 2 successful albums in a row + sustained presence + name recognition = main pop girl, just imo. if we look at stars in groups (britney, christina, p!nk, beyonce as one example; kesha, katy, gaga, maybe nicki as a second; selena, ariana, demi, miley as  another) according to their debut and sort of presence in the media given the time period and trends, i would say dua is similar to halsey and billie eilish tbh, and they're all moving in different ways at different paces rn.

8 hours ago, NormaJeanSpears said:

but katy's been in the industry over a decade and has had huge, massive success so she has name recognition and star status, dua is still earning that kind of status. selena, while not as big as katy, is massive in name and was in the news persistently bc of her life, her health issues, her relationship history, the hyped for her much delayed next album, etc. also there are likely differences in the music consumption habits of katy perry's main fanbase vs dua's--they're going to be different in age and taste in music and habits. i don't think dua is a main pop girl just yet but i think, unless FN bombs (which i see as very improbable), she will officially be there. 2 successful albums in a row + sustained presence + name recognition = main pop girl, just imo. if we look at stars in groups (britney, christina, p!nk, beyonce as one example; kesha, katy, gaga, maybe nicki as a second; selena, ariana, demi, miley as  another) according to their debut and sort of presence in the media given the time period and trends, i would say dua is similar to halsey and billie eilish tbh, and they're all moving in different ways at different paces rn.

I gave other examples after that. Particularly a Halsey one - if you actually followed the conversation. Hehe. And no, I don't agree. Because no matter the differences in consumption of Katy and Dua's fans, ultimately - streaming and sales are the leading formats for consumption of music because it is a direct reflection of what is being consumed. And that is why Billboard adjusted the Hot 100 formula. The numbers don't lie. And NRO debuted with bigger streams than Physical and that's facts on facts on facts. I suggest you read the entire conversation - if you even care. It's ok if you don't. ❤

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block