Former GOP Congressman Aaron Schock comes out as gay

Jordan Miller

• Leader

Similarly to the Politics & global news forum, I also created a forum for LGBTQ-related topics. News, discussion, opinion, perusal stories... I want Exhalers who identify as LGBTQ and our straight allies to have a safe space to discuss important topics.

This is a story I've been following for a minute.

Former GOP Congressman Aaron Schock officially comes out as gay - he was previously against gay marriage and held antigay positions such as "voting against lifting the ban on LGB people serving in the military and voting not to extend hate crime protections to include ****** orientation and gender identity," Queerty reports.

There's been mountains of evidence for a while now: revealing intimate photos (do not post), caught making out with a guy at Coachella and much more.

He posted a note on Instagram explaining his current stance and confirms he is indeed gay.

“I am gay,” begins his post.

“I did like I’d always done and threw myself into the distraction of work and what I once understood success to be. That included being responsive to the interests of the constituents in the district that I served. Perhaps correctly, perhaps not, I assumed that revealing myself as their gay congressman would not go over well. I put my ambition over the truth, which not only hurt me, but others as well.”

What do you guys think? Is it too little too late, or should the LGBTQ community forgive him for his past mistakes?  

aaron-schock-gay.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok he is daddy...lol but on a serious note, so glad he came to terms with who he truly is. The sad truth is, many people who are the most hating to members of the LGBTQ comm, are usually a part of it. It comes as self-hate. I worked with a woman who had an affair with a female co-worker, but denied she was lesbian or bi. Her younger brother is bi and she told him that was wrong. It is so sad.

I've grown up in a very religious family (my dad is a pastor) and was told my whole life that being gay was a sin. But at 14 I came to terms with it. I have been so much happier since. I wish that  acceptance and self-love for everyone

He is obviously an attractive man, but I've always despised him for his hatred toward the LGBTQ community. Im sure his upbringing made him hate himself for being gay and hence over compensated? I'm happy for him being able to come to terms with his sexuality and is now able to live openly in his truth. I just hope uses his platform now to do more for the community he suppressed for so long.

Oh we been knowing he was gay. His nude from Grindr :werk:

I feel sorry he hated himself that much, but that's not excusable for being homophobic and making others' lives more difficult. I never did that even when I was miserable, bullied, and in the closet as a kid/teen. Also, just going off the information Jordan provided in the post, he never officially apologized. So no, I don't forgive him.

• Leader
19 minutes ago, Born2Die said:

He is obviously an attractive man, but I've always despised him for his hatred toward the LGBTQ community. Im sure his upbringing made him hate himself for being gay and hence over compensated? I'm happy for him being able to come to terms with his sexuality and is now able to live openly in his truth. I just hope uses his platform now to do more for the community he suppressed for so long.

Oh we been knowing he was gay. His nude from Grindr :werk:

What's Grindr. Never heard of it :inbed:

But seriously though, I'm glad he's at least trying to make things right. Interested to see how he moves forward from here 

• Leader
13 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

I feel sorry he hated himself that much, but that's not excusable for being homophobic and making others' lives more difficult. I never did that even when I was miserable, bullied, and in the closet as a kid/teen. Also, just going off the information Jordan provided in the post, he never officially apologized. So no, I don't forgive him.

It's not excusable, but understandable, right? 

I often find that when you hate something, it's because you somehow identify with it on some deeper level. That doesn't mean if you hate murderers, you're a murderer. I'm not talking about it in that sense. More in an emotional capacity. In his case, hating gay people because he repressed his true feelings. 

4 minutes ago, JordanMiller said:

It's not excusable, but understandable, right? 

I often find that when you hate something, it's because you somehow identify with it on some deeper level. That doesn't mean if you hate murderers, you're a murderer. I'm not talking about it in that sense. More in an emotional capacity. In his case, hating gay people because he repressed his true feelings. 

Yeah, I definitely understand. I mean I went years wondering why I had to end up gay and why I couldn't just be "normal." I can understand why he hated himself and therefore felt homophobic. However, it's not fair to make other people's lives worse because of it. I would forgive him if he actually apologized, but based off the information in the OP, he didn't.

It's bittersweet, more bitter. I'm glad he's found his peace, but it's completely ridiculous that he didn't even apologize.

You used your power against your own people, own up to it and make amends!

He should be using the effort he used to hate LGBTQ+ people to aid those not so privileged

Also yes he's hot and I hate it 

• Leader
2 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

Yeah, I definitely understand. I mean I went years wondering why I had to end up gay and why I couldn't just be "normal." I can understand why he hated himself and therefore felt homophobic. However, it's not fair to make other people's lives worse because of it. I would forgive him if he actually apologized, but based off the information in the OP, he didn't.

Yea, that's the glaring objection with his post. He didn't offer an apology. However, I also can see why he didn't. He explained how his thoughts lead to those antigay circumstances. It made him who he is today, he's changed. Is that something to apologize for? Not saying he should or shouldn't - just posing the question. 

Well.. he is hot!!.. and had a pretty damn gay attitude and look from the beginning hahaha... so I don’t know how nobody saw this coming. 

Not trying to justify his actions, which I think are horrible, but psychology and sociology has shown how some members of lgbt+ can attack their own community because of internalized homophobia. Many times these persons also develop identity crisis, depression and other psychological disorders because they hate so much their self’s. 

Hope hi find his peace and do something purposeful (besides only doing shirtless pictures) with his life.

• Leader
12 minutes ago, Barajas said:

Well.. he is hot!!.. and had a pretty damn gay attitude and look from the beginning hahaha... so I don’t know how nobody saw this coming. 

Not trying to justify his actions, which I think are horrible, but psychology and sociology has shown how some members of lgbt+ can attack their own community because of internalized homophobia. Many times these persons also develop identity crisis, depression and other psychological disorders because they hate so much their self’s. 

Hope hi find his peace and do something purposeful (besides only doing shirtless pictures) with his life.

Exactly, that's my sentiment, too. I want him to find peace. 

FINALLY!!

He has been posting pictures with gay guys all around and leaked videos of him making out with other guys.

Even when all these things started to surface, I didn't support all the bullying followed these men who were in pictures and videos with him, but I can understand why everyone has been angry, he voted against gay marriage and the protection rights of LGBT within the military, he should have done this sooner in my opinion, I hated that he remained silent seeing all the bullying reach out to his gay friends, maybe that's just me, but I wouldn't allow my friends to get harmed even if I would sacrifice things myself, but I also understand why he didn't say anything, he was simply scared.

But at least he has done it, and all I wish for him is to find his inner peace finally and people leave him alone to figure it out, beyond that it is up to him to be a better person.

Archived