Normani says Camila Cabello's racist posts hurt her

Jordan Miller

41 minutes ago, JordanMiller said:

Que?! 

I feel like this is the most authentic version of TS we've ever seen. She's trying to be outspoken about important issues. 

See... i have followed Taylor from the VERY beginning - She got her *** kissed in the Country music world.  They really catered to her... She ******* on a lot of people.  Fake friendships with Kelly Pickler, Carrie Underwood.  I hated her comment about how she has "nobody to look up to" because she has succeeded much more at country/pop crossover.  Now she is a bully because she has power but claims she is doing it on behalf of independent artists yet only makes contractual friendships with Hollywood up-comers like Camilla.  

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JordanMiller said:

Omg I'm the pop star crusader lol. :runga:

I guess I just ultimately believe that people can change. Mistakes made in the past shouldn't define someone permanently. 

People CAN change, and since Camila is still young she has the opportunity to change, however she should still be held accountable for her racism, which she really hasn't. Her vague apology I think shows that she doesn't understand the weight of her racist words - especially as a public figure.

Normani's response was so thoughtful and articulate and she was the real victim.

I like her bops

not a fan of her personality or her performance style (over the top facial expressions) :byesmoke: like gurl you don’t need to overact every single movement and face expression... but ok 

but bops are bops :bedtime:

havana, my oh my, liar are bops :bedtime:

9 hours ago, rik said:

but normani isn't saying that camilla should be defined by the racist label for the rest of her life, what she is suggesting that as a double minority she genuinely is subjected to a kind of discrimination that she, as well as her daughters in the future will have to face for the rest of their lives. she's speaking on her own experience with it, and her overall experience as a black woman. 

i don't think it's fair to find some sort of victimhood in camilla's situation just because she was young and niave. she shouldn't be passed a blind eye particularly if she hard R-ed her. Camilla is my age, and while we can say that it was just a mistake, this or that, it's also telling of how anti-blackness or saying the n-word is a 'coming of age' thing that is essential to every non-black culture for tweens and teens. It's annoying to think that we need to wait for people to mature up and 'just get it'. there needs to be change now, and camilla only recently took responsibility for her racist past. it's not fair, anti-blackness is in quire literally every culture and found to be a discussion by all ethnicities (non-black POC, as well as colourism within black communities on the basis of skin tone). it's a lot more complex and i think it's okay to hold camilla accountable on the front that it isn't something the world should be taking lightly. she will be okay, she will be able to make pop music for the next five to ten years, but at what point do we say enough is enough? i'm tired of giving these people a pass just because they're young. it shows that it's okay for the teen pop stars that follow for it to be okay. we need to teach future generations what the standard is, and right now the bar is really low. 

britney never ever had to resort to cultural appropriation (she incorpoated belly dancing in her dance but that's an art of movement), and unlike her peers JT or Christina, she never had to resort to utilizing black culture and insulting it. she's from the south and doesn't have a hint of racism. that should be the bare minimum, not something that is rare. come on lol

I get what your comment is grasping as but you have to realize - Black culture is steeriing AMERICAN culture as a whole.  I am not taking up for Camilla at all but kids today listen to rap music that says the "N" word as if it's just a fun little term of endearment.  You cannot blame children for making it part of their culture when it is being marketed toward them.  

10 hours ago, rik said:

sure, but i disagree. just because something is colloquially being prompted out there by a bunch of hip hop artists doesn't excuse someone hard r-ing the n-word. music is an expression

but take it like this. just because britney in her prime dressed in a particular way doesn't mean that other girls were going to start dressing like that or that she was encouraging that. same for the use of the n-word. it's going to resonate with people, particularly black artists but i also think it's important to see that anythng that's put out there is not meant to be repeated constantly u know? 

But girls DID dress like Britney.  Kids did run around screaming "girl power" because Spice Girls said it.  Kids in America wore British flag shirts because Spice Girls made it trendy.  People hate Trump because the media tells them to.  People wear Gucci, Fendi, Prada because Hip Hop culture makes it cool.  Most (mindless) people reflect the culture presented to them.  Therefore, Camilla, a 15 year old child, was a product of the culture pushed by mainstream America.  Hip Hop is mainstream American culture.  

I see Jordans point about 15 year olds do dumb stuff. I used to have *** with men twice my age when I was 15 and now that I'm an adult, I wish I knew the degree of how wrong and dangerous that was. So we can change to a degree. But like stated before her apology was bullshit. 

Archived