Your opinion on "S&M" (featuring Britney)?

Stannedforever

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, godneyjspears said:

Ngl I’m not even afraid to admit I loved the BOMT/S&M medley for the ff tour - you could see she was feeling the song and giving it attitude on a lot of the shows. Definitely a highlight of the tour for me 

plus kinda love how by putting the two together in a medley meant acknowledging the s&m connotations of BOMT 

I actually really liked the transition into BOMT into S&M as well! 

I'm slightly biased when it comes to 2011, as I have a lot of issues with the entire era. That being said, I always loved this remix and I think the combination of Britney and Rihanna was stellar.

Let's be real, there are technically better vocalist out there, the pull to both of these artists is what they bring to the table and what they can do with their voices. Rihanna always had an 'in your face' dominance on this track, complete with borderline growling vocals on the higher notes. Britney on the other hand, has a nearly submissive sound to her voice and her verse. 

Vocally, I get the criticism but I also don't hate them. The 2011 era was a bit of a hit/miss when it came to vocals; at the time, this was the closest thing we got to actual vocals that didn't sound completely edited or filtered.

I remember that it was a nice surprise. I didn't have any expectations and liked this remix despite the weird vocals. 

I heard some claims back then that Rihanna had some plagiarism scandal with the music video and she released this remix as a PR move. I don't know if it's true though. 

The performance, on the other hand... Chris Crocker perfectly summed my thoughts after watching it:

I’ll keep it simple...i love the remix and love that Rihanna got her on it. I remember Britney on a radio interview expressing how much she loved the track and Rihanna.

The remix should have came out with a video and thats it. The performance was a cute thought and could have been iconic, but its cringe worthy. In fact it made Britney look bad and Rihanna look better 😕

On 2/24/2020 at 11:40 AM, Urbanney said:

Britney sounds like she had a cold when she recorded the song, but I prefer the remix to the original. It has a better buildup. The original song didn’t even have a second verse.

The performance and rumors/leak of the performance beforehand was super exciting at the time as a fan. The crowd went nuts when Britney came out too, since it was a surprise. It was a great time when it was happening, but Britney is stiff and her lip syncing is embarrassing next to Rihanna singing live. I’m still glad it happened though. The ending was cute especially. 

She did have a cold in the spring of 2011. Her voice in general was weird because of it (like the hello good morning America thing)

Archived