If you could pick the next trend in music... what should it be?

Jordan Miller

• Leader

It feels like we're in the country cowboy hybrid era.

Lil Nas X  blended country with hip hop and pop when he cooked up "Old Town Road." Now there's all sorts of copy cats popping up. Most notably is the Blake Shelton & Pitbull debacle. The song is a ******* mess but NGL still catchy. 

Country and pop was huge a few years ago. Lady Gaga's Joanne, Justin Timberlake's Man of the Woods... 

Chill pop was also very trending. Think Julia Michaels oohing and ahhing over icy beats. Selena Gomez, Britney and a bunch more artists leaned into this sound. 

The '80s vibe was a huge trend prior to that... in my opinion started by Taylor Swift's 1989. Carly Rae Jepsen also smashed this vibe with E•MO•TION.

What do you think will be or SHOULD be the next big trend in music? What would you like to see artists do next?

music-trends.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Music needs to be fun again.

I need uptempo songs that aren't necessarily EDM. Tbh, if everything goes in cycles, just like 80's were in in the 00's, 90's were in last decade, it's time for the 00's music to make a comeback.

So, if Britney isn't coming back anytime soon, whoever is working with Max Martin should bring back those early 00's sounds and finish once and for all with that boring chill pop trend that came to destroy pop music. 

And those upcoming artists, better start taking dance lessons and step up their game with choreos and stuff to make their live performances and music videos worth watching. 

I want teen-pop again. But I know Britney isn't gonna go back to doing that. And I'd hate for there to be a new girl doing teen-pop now that it's so easy to break records and get platinum certifications. I'd hate for our fave to be outsold as the teen-pop queen. So maybe, scratch that. Let's just have 2000s R&B back. Think, Lose My Breath, Get Busy, Baby Boy, Drop It Like It's Hot, Shake It Off. :bop:

or maybe disco since I'm really digging Dua Lipa's new sound. Yeah, let's stick to that.

13 hours ago, Nickey said:

Real pop music which is fresh no matter what, a geniuine mix of soul, r&b and rock with a touch of good old disco :lollipop:

12 hours ago, GimmeBritney320 said:

Disco with updated beats...please retire trap and uncatchy wannabe r&b "pop"...snooze:mcwave:

11 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

Music needs to be fun again.

I need uptempo songs that aren't necessarily EDM. Tbh, if everything goes in cycles, just like 80's were in in the 00's, 90's were in last decade, it's time for the 00's music to make a comeback.

So, if Britney isn't coming back anytime soon, whoever is working with Max Martin should bring back those early 00's sounds and finish once and for all with that boring chill pop trend that came to destroy pop music. 

And those upcoming artists, better start taking dance lessons and step up their game with choreos and stuff to make their live performances and music videos worth watching. 

8 hours ago, OriginalRoxxy said:

I want teen-pop again. But I know Britney isn't gonna go back to doing that. And I'd hate for there to be a new girl doing teen-pop now that it's so easy to break records and get platinum certifications. I'd hate for our fave to be outsold as the teen-pop queen. So maybe, scratch that. Let's just have 2000s R&B back. Think, Lose My Breath, Get Busy, Baby Boy, Drop It Like It's Hot, Shake It Off. :bop:

or maybe disco since I'm really digging Dua Lipa's new sound. Yeah, let's stick to that.

7 hours ago, ILuvMe said:

I need early 00s to make a huge comeback, with a lot of songs with DANCE BREAKS and uptempo beats.

If not, whatever Dua Lipa is making right now sounds really good, that mix of 80s music with current pop. 

This please!!! :queenflopga: cause when i listen to music i wanna dance, not fall asleep :rupaulslap:

1 hour ago, Brat2017 said:

Songs that you want to play over and over.  I'm so done with the new songs that have too many lyrics (Grande).  I would love for Britney to do a concept album like Lemonade or Lana Del Rey stuff. 

Too many lyrics and and sung in an irritating way so you can barely understand the lyrics (Grande too) :explainlol:

On 2/17/2020 at 11:17 AM, JordanMiller said:

It feels like we're in the country cowboy hybrid era.

Lil Nas X  blended country with hip hop and pop when he cooked up "Old Town Road." Now there's all sorts of copy cats popping up. Most notably is the Blake Shelton & Pitbull debacle. The song is a ******* mess but NGL still catchy. 

Country and pop was huge a few years ago. Lady Gaga's Joanne, Justin Timberlake's Man of the Woods... 

Chill pop was also very trending. Think Julia Michaels oohing and ahhing over icy beats. Selena Gomez, Britney and a bunch more artists leaned into this sound. 

The '80s vibe was a huge trend prior to that... in my opinion started by Taylor Swift's 1989. Carly Rae Jepsen also smashed this vibe with E•MO•TION.

What do you think will be or SHOULD be the next big trend in music? What would you like to see artists do next?

music-trends.jpg

Can we just go retrospective next? I'm ready for the late 90's early 00's era to return. Everyone stayed in their respective lanes and made GREAT music. We had the late 90's grunge in rock, the house music, the BEST pop music.... it just feels like the 10's took us on such a hip/hop infused ride and everything is starting to sound exactly the same. I miss the glory days when everyone was so good at something so specific. There was so much individual texture in the music world. 

I'm also completely fine with the 80's synthy throwbacks we've enjoyed from Taylor, Carly, Paramore, and others 

BRING. IT. BACK. 

4 hours ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

2000s teen power pop. I love it, plus lyrics with substance. Maybe some glammy dance and euro disco flair. Something fun that sounds like it’s from the future. Music is stuck in a rut and we need something to shake it up and alive again. A perfect example is the new music Dua Lipa is releasing. It’s fabulous. 

You just reminded me this 

Archived