Could Britney’s More Have Been Done to Save Britney’s Reputation After 2007?

MeAgainstTheMusic_

It’s no great secret that after 2007 Britney was perceived very differently to how she was in the years prior. Britney was of course the first of her kind and extremely controversial, however that definitely opened her up for a lot of criticism over the years and mockery. From her clothes and what she wore to her lip syncing and who she was dating etc. On the years leading up to her breakdown she definitely became more of a punchbag for some people who were trying to tear her down when she was at her must vulnerable. Now I would say people are far more sympathetic towards her. A lot of that I think is nostalgia but a lot of it is pity which I think is sad. It’s almost trendy now for celebs and the GP to say “oh I love Britney I’ve always loved her” out of guilt for what happened to her. 

I think she lost a lot of fans after 2007 (especially her child following) but also gained a whole new following and fan base. A lot of people seen her career as being over after her breakdown and my general consensus is that the GP still see her as crazy and mental which is such an ignorant view. 

A massive part of this is probably because of how she is viewed in candid shots and how she is presented nowadays to the GP. Of course her team are a massive part of that. She’s not allowed to give candid interviews and they basically control everything and make her ignore 2007 like it never happened. Well here’s the thing - it did. 

On watching this interview I noticed she openly speaks about Blackout as a “dark period” in her life. She addresses it quite comfortably and goes on to speak about Blackout the album. Why can’t she just be allowed to speak openly about her struggles without it being the elephant in the room. Surely if she’d just addressed when asked then things wouldn’t be such a huge deal. I bet she won’t want to speak about such a vulnerable part of her life constantly but I hate that they ignore it from her career. It was a defining moment in her career.

This got me thinking - could her management have handled her PR much better? Ie how she was presented in public and how she was perceived in interviews. If they’d let her use her own voice and been open about her struggles and not let her sound so robotic. Could they have given her more control and went for more mature sounding songs instead of making her release generic pop trash that she so clearly probably would never have released given she had control over her own music. Would her imagine have become much more mature rather than dressing her like they did when she was 21 and is now almost 40.

Thoughts? 

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived