[Question] Britney Remastered Songs

Guys, just wanted to ask some questions regarding The Singles Collection.

They all are entitled as Remastered, but do you guys notice any actual difference from the original songs on the albums? Like BOMT? :decisions:

I swear to god that I see NO difference at all, and i'm wearing some good headphones. I even tried to use the Flac version to compare it but nothing. Some songs just sound louder and that's it. no other special detail on any back instruments or so.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Stifler's Mom said:

Guys, just wanted to ask some questions regarding The Singles Collection.

They all are entitled as Remastered, but do you guys notice any actual difference from the original songs on the albums? Like BOMT? :decisions:

I swear to god that I see NO difference at all, and i'm wearing some good headphones. I even tried to use the Flac version to compare it but nothing. Some songs just sound louder and that's it. no other special detail on any back instruments or so.

I don't know about the actual singles themselves but a lot of the B-Sides have noticeably different mixes compared to the versions that were first released

(Final chorus changes at 2:54)

(Different intro effect)

• Like 5
1 hour ago, PlayboiMommy said:

I don't know about the actual singles themselves but a lot of the B-Sides have noticeably different mixes compared to the versions that were first released

(Different intro effect)

nice touch on that. now I clearly see differences. :hugs: those are genuine

• Like 2
18 hours ago, PlayboiMommy said:

(Different intro effect)

I hear the difference on Intimidated but I can't on Mona Lisa... am I being really dense and missing something hella obvious?!

:whatitellu: It's the classic "loudness war" remastering. Instead of mastering team carefully adjusting volumes and cleaning up the tracks to make better mixes of the original tracks, only the volume has been increased. I don't quite get why people want to do this. We have volume knobs and loudness buttons on every music players ever and still those lazy labels are pushing out "remasters" with clipping added. 

If you don't understand this there's some reading for you:

What is loudness war and why is it happening

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

What is clipping and why is it bad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio)

• 1 year later...

I stumbled across this topic when looking for info on the remastered music videos and wanted to pitch in.

There are in fact differences. To make things more complicated, there are two different remasters for the Singles Collection from the same Mastering Studio, Sterling Sound (they’ve mastered a majority of albums commercially released, including almost every album Spears have released):

Singles Collection by Tom Coyne (this guy is like a senior from the studio)

Singles Collection (Deluxe) by Ryan Smith

What they both share in common is that the stereo width have been readjusted, so it sounds “wider”. Loudness wise, they’re actually for the most part lower, which is a GOOD thing. This is especially true if you compare one of their older hits with the ones released here. (You Drive Me) Crazy [The Stop Remix] for example, was overly distorted when the chorus kicks in on 2004’s My Prerogative: Greatest Hits. This has been fixed on the Singles Collection.

To make things even more complicated, the mastering was done slightly differently on Ryan Smith’s version, where it sounds even lower. Again, using “Crazy” as an example, the chorus sounds more “drowned” compared to Tom Coyne’s version of “Crazy”. You guys can compare these yourself with a simple iTunes search, playing the samples back to back. Personally, I prefer Tom Coyne’s version but I bought the Deluxe Version for the sake of tracks that didn’t make it to the single disc version of Singles Collection, and their B-Sides.

But anyway, louder isn’t always better. This is a concept sadly misunderstood and fed to both the industry and the general consumer, to the point it actually hurts the quality of the music. Always remember that ...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 3/20/2021 at 10:27 AM, Lucky4Britney said:

I stumbled across this topic when looking for info on the remastered music videos and wanted to pitch in.

There are in fact differences. To make things more complicated, there are two different remasters for the Singles Collection from the same Mastering Studio, Sterling Sound (they’ve mastered a majority of albums commercially released, including almost every album Spears have released):

Singles Collection by Tom Coyne (this guy is like a senior from the studio)

Singles Collection (Deluxe) by Ryan Smith

What they both share in common is that the stereo width have been readjusted, so it sounds “wider”. Loudness wise, they’re actually for the most part lower, which is a GOOD thing. This is especially true if you compare one of their older hits with the ones released here. (You Drive Me) Crazy [The Stop Remix] for example, was overly distorted when the chorus kicks in on 2004’s My Prerogative: Greatest Hits. This has been fixed on the Singles Collection.

To make things even more complicated, the mastering was done slightly differently on Ryan Smith’s version, where it sounds even lower. Again, using “Crazy” as an example, the chorus sounds more “drowned” compared to Tom Coyne’s version of “Crazy”. You guys can compare these yourself with a simple iTunes search, playing the samples back to back. Personally, I prefer Tom Coyne’s version but I bought the Deluxe Version for the sake of tracks that didn’t make it to the single disc version of Singles Collection, and their B-Sides.

But anyway, louder isn’t always better. This is a concept sadly misunderstood and fed to both the industry and the general consumer, to the point it actually hurts the quality of the music. Always remember that ...

I need more information on this, thanks for the insight :)

So are you suggesting that Tom Coyne's version is the CD and Ryan Smith is the Box set? Where can I find this? 

Thank you!