Reappraisal: 2016 VMAs

I've never liked her 2016 VMAs performance- not helped by the amazing and incredible hype promo video. 

But looking back now I have to praise these things:

- The shadow dress bursting into dancers - simple but effective

- The hair

- She was super slutty with G Eazy which made a dull performance at least watchable - the crotch grab was fun

- The iconic knee-tap didn't feature due to the medley

- New pre-recorded vocals of Me, Myself & I. A million times better than the vocals we had for S&M

- Some passion when she was between G Eazy's legs

I think I was comparing it to the BRILLIANT BBMAs at the time, but in fairness the VMA 2016 performance did the job. Was it iconic? No. But was it decent? Yes. It promoted the song/album. 

Have you reappraised the performance? :sneer: Or did you always like it?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

It would have been a far better performance in my books if it didn’t have all the hype of being her return to VMAs after 9 whole years :disappointed: It’s just a normal performance, which clearly was a huge contrast to Beyonce’s later that night, which also didn’t help

Exactly how I felt. I feel like this performance might have been more effective if it was an opening performance. G-Eazy seemed nervous/drunk though which throws it off for me. The way he stumbles all over his verses and tries to kiss her is so...cringy 

• Like 2
  • Super Mods

I thought it was alright, yeah not iconic but whatever, MTV always paid her dust so I don’t expect her to give her all anymore for a company that rides on your contributions but doesn’t reward you. The only thing I hated was her yellow outfit, I am sooo done with leotards!!!!