Reappraisal: 2016 VMAs

Godney'sSweetCheeks

I've never liked her 2016 VMAs performance- not helped by the amazing and incredible hype promo video. 

But looking back now I have to praise these things:

- The shadow dress bursting into dancers - simple but effective

- The hair

- She was super slutty with G Eazy which made a dull performance at least watchable - the crotch grab was fun

- The iconic knee-tap didn't feature due to the medley

- New pre-recorded vocals of Me, Myself & I. A million times better than the vocals we had for S&M

- Some passion when she was between G Eazy's legs

I think I was comparing it to the BRILLIANT BBMAs at the time, but in fairness the VMA 2016 performance did the job. Was it iconic? No. But was it decent? Yes. It promoted the song/album. 

Have you reappraised the performance? :sneer: Or did you always like it?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, the performance was pretty cool and a very nice way for her to come back to the VMAs, but can we just talk about some of the red carpet looks? I mean, Nicki Minaj, Britney, and Tove Lo ended so many careers, lives, and caused the loss of so many wigs that they should honestly be charged for war crimes. :raven:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftimedotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2016%2F08%2Fmtv-vmas-red-carpet-17.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.vogue.com%2Fr%2Fc_1%2Ch_4000%2Cw_3280%2F2016%2F08%2F28%2Fnicki-minaj-mtv-vmas-2016.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

597193552-2016-mtv-video-music-awards-arrivals.jpg&c=sc&w=2396&h=3600

:yasqueen:
:yasqueen::yasqueen::yasqueen::yasqueen::yasqueen:

1 hour ago, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

It would have been a far better performance in my books if it didn’t have all the hype of being her return to VMAs after 9 whole years :disappointed: It’s just a normal performance, which clearly was a huge contrast to Beyonce’s later that night, which also didn’t help

Exactly how I felt. I feel like this performance might have been more effective if it was an opening performance. G-Eazy seemed nervous/drunk though which throws it off for me. The way he stumbles all over his verses and tries to kiss her is so...cringy 

On 10/28/2019 at 12:11 PM, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

It’s just a normal performance, which clearly was a huge contrast to Beyonce’s later that night, which also didn’t help

She went directly after Beyonce, who KILLED it.  She was doomed to an underwhelming performance no matter what she did at that point.

• Super Mods

I thought it was alright, yeah not iconic but whatever, MTV always paid her dust so I don’t expect her to give her all anymore for a company that rides on your contributions but doesn’t reward you. The only thing I hated was her yellow outfit, I am sooo done with leotards!!!!

Archived