Max Martin: Britney is a genius

Slayer

in an interview max said the following:

Baby One More Time, which he wrote singlehandedly, got to No 1 in just about every country it was released. But it almost came to nothing. The demo, Martin remembers, sat lying around for “maybe six months, a year” and attempts were made to pitch it to “really established artists”. Eventually the Backstreet Boys’ label, Jive, offered it to their new signing, Spears. “When I heard her singing, I just knew instantly,” he says. “The way she recorded that song, she added another dimension.”

Among the artists who turned it down were TLC, assuming that the line “Hit me baby one more time” advocated domestic violence. Martin and his fellow Swedes at Cheiron had meant it simply as slang for “call me”.

Martin’s early hit rate largely depended on Spears. A handful of their collaborations forms the backbone of & Juliet, tracing a narrative arc that runs from ... Baby One More Time’s “my loneliness is killing me” to Stronger’s assertive declaration of the opposite (“My loneliness ain’t killing me no more”). Did you allow yourself a little high five in the studio when you linked those two songs? “Er … maybe,” he laughs, self-effacing as ever.

He is keen, too, to give the artists he has worked with credit, even when, as he puts it delicately, “someone isn’t a songwriter per se”. Britney Spears, for instance. “She’s a genius,” he says, popping a fresh snus. “So much had happened to her in that [early period] and she had to grow up quickly. We had conversations with her about what she wanted to do and what she wanted to say.”

source: the guardian

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Million Billion said:

****! I would sell my soul for another Max Martin & Britney collaboration. B10's lead single MUST be a smashing dance uptempo M. Martin song :tiffanycries:

In a free world, B10 with Max Martin, Finneas O'Connell, Danja, and Bloodshy & Avant.  

Dark *** visuals, dark hair, avant garde dance, going in deep with lyrics. 

I would love if Britney did something like this:  

7 minutes ago, Goneforever said:

In a free world, B10 with Max Martin, Finneas O'Connell, Danja, and Bloodshy & Avant.  

Dark *** visuals, dark hair, avant garde dance, going in deep with lyrics. 

I would love if Britney did something like this:  

I don't think Britney will ever become a dark-themed singer, unless she suddenly doesnt give a **** and release something totally weird (which its not so likely to happen) but I wish she came back FIERCE! I really hope she comes up with something fresh by the next era/album whenever it is released in the near/far future. Something as fresh as BOMT, Believe, Vogue in the 90's or Toxic in the 00's something artistic.

While her current state is totally uncertain to say if she is going to be back to music either soon or late, my stan soul truly has a little hope that B10 is going to be FIRE!!!!! 

7 hours ago, Jerrycan said:

We need more songs from them both! He always delivers quality and hits for her! 

9 hours ago, nakedsoldier said:

Cant wait for their next hit together!

5 hours ago, portrait said:

they need to work together again 

1 hour ago, Million Billion said:

****! I would sell my soul for another Max Martin & Britney collaboration. B10's lead single MUST be a smashing dance uptempo M. Martin song :tiffanycries:

Or she could try to grow as an artist instead.

2 hours ago, Million Billion said:

I don't think Britney will ever become a dark-themed singer, unless she suddenly doesnt give a **** and release something totally weird (which its not so likely to happen) but I wish she came back FIERCE! I really hope she comes up with something fresh by the next era/album whenever it is released in the near/far future. Something as fresh as BOMT, Believe, Vogue in the 90's or Toxic in the 00's something artistic.

While her current state is totally uncertain to say if she is going to be back to music either soon or late, my stan soul truly has a little hope that B10 is going to be FIRE!!!!! 

I thinking Like Original Doll but far more elevated 

• Super Mods

Yeah he also liked the way she sang in his signature nasally tone. Heard there’s a subtly in her voice where it sounds like she’s moaning (the way she takes in her breath because the nasal tone makes her go out of breathe so it sounds cat like and ****) and I think with Oops they magnify it even more.

Archived