11 Years Ago on this day...

WOMANIZER was released as the lead single off of Circus

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiFR4zzPE8gw9pyavDaUh

Eleven years ago the Princess of Pop launched the second half of her career with the release of “Womanizer.” Following her descent into the depths of the clubs on 2007’s Blackout and a literal media frenzy, the incomparable icon switched things up as she readied the release of her sixth album Circus. And she introduced the new era with what would become her biggest hit since “…Baby One More Time.”

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUJJH01oqd4sTgf7zq3Q1

Produced and written by The Outsyders, the song was re-recorded after a snippet was leaked onto the internet. "Womanizer" is an up-tempo electropop and dance-pop song. Described by Spears as a girl anthem, the song's lyrics recall a womanizing man, while the protagonist of the song makes clear she knows who he really is.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSg7-lskjx1g_smqS76IP0

Womanizer" was a commercial success worldwide, peaking atop of the charts in Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Norway, Sweden and the United States. It also reached the top ten in every country it charted in also receiving several certifications from several countries. It is also her best-selling digital song in the country, having sold over 3.5 million copies. The song received a nomination for Best Dance Recording at the 52nd Grammy Awards, becoming her second nomination in the category.

76651.jpg

The music video, directed by Joseph Kahn, was created by Spears as a sequel to the music video of "Toxic". It portrays Spears as a woman who disguises herself in different costumes and follows her boyfriend through his daily activities to expose him in the end. The video also contains interspersed scenes of Spears naked in a steam room, as a response to the attacks she had received over the years about her weight. The video was also nominated for two categories at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards, and went on to win Best Pop Video.

tumblr_lrdni0NKRA1qh01r8o1_500.gif&ehk=a

Spears performed "Womanizer" on several television shows including The X Factorand Good Morning America, as well as award shows such as the 2008 Bambi Awards. She has also performed the song at The Circus Starring Britney Spears (2009), the Femme Fatale Tour (2011) and Britney: Piece of Me (2013).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRToFzL-tBjQ9xuv8C7B0S

I C O N I C song, so many memories attached to it :wow:. It was the first Britney song I ever heard an story I’m sure some others here can relate too :bareclap:. This song has been a astaple of Britneys career, also one of her most viewed YouTube videos and one of the most streamed songs by her on Spotify :yesplease:.  It is also my personal favourite Music Video by Britney (yes, better than Toxic: Britney Naked in a sauna > Britney almost naked in diamonds) :onpoint: I mean the characters, the storyline, the Male model... :ahhh: And we can’t forget the numerous performances of this song, especially the Piece Of Me Vegas dance break :yasqueen: The way she went to completely naked to show the haters how far she had come, how the song broke the record for the highest jump on the chart to #1, ahhhhhh :ohcrap:

What are your memories with the song? Share down below to celebrate the iconic comeback single :sendinglove:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made a video about Womanizer's release and impact, for those who speaks portuguese would mean a lot if you could go there and support, but for most of you I know it's pointless because it's in Portuguese Lol

Anyway it's always amazing to remember that time, Womanizer was iconic and was such a wonderful moment to be a Britney fan, watching her comeback after those dark moments was priceless

I remember hearing it on the radio and then impatiently waiting for the video. It was the start of so many awesome things. Her comeback really needed it and it was the catalyst that brought things back to form, so to speak. 

I remember listening to it at first and didn’t like it so much because I thought her voice sounded weird. The way she was singing and the vocal effect was interesting at the time.

And when she was doing the first performance at the Bambi awards, that was cool too. Also around the time that she was doing that tour intro video for Madonna and then later joined her on stage. There were so many memories and members here at the time too. After 2007, it was a real great time for a while. Then off on tour, and it was so amazing! I remember it like it was Just Yesterday...  :bwink:

2 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

That was THE comeback.

I miss those times at high school lol I can't believe it's been that long. It still feels to me like one of the "new songs" of Britney

It's aged surprisingly well, many Circus songs have aged well surprisingly 

I hate that this is referred to as THE comeback. I said this in my ‘Circus’ album review.... Blackout was her comeback and it was a damn good one to her fans. Blackout was that *****. It was dark and new, and it gave hit after hit after hit. It showed that Britney was still the queen of pop. Womanizer/Circus era was her comeback to the general public. The album was Blackout rejects and basic pop bops... it was nothing new. Don’t get me wrong it was, and still is, a great album. It put her back on the map to the media/general public, but her fans already knew she was back for a while now. The song still slaps though :lollipop:

5 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

tbh there was a time a few years ago that I started to feel kinda meh about Womanizer. But then I rediscovered it and I love it again.

Just this morning I was listening to it in my way to work and I was like :bop: 

i bet people saw you doing this on top your desk

giphy.gif

I was 7 at that time and the music video used to frighten me a little bit because she was just so so aggressive and dominant towards the man, I couldn't believe how mean she was :decisions: but through the years I found out what the song is about and came to the conclusion that he deserved it. ;)

But the song is a major bop and has aged unbelievably well, all these years and I could still play over and over without getting bored. Britney and the producers did a fantastic job.

5 hours ago, blackoutbixxh said:

I hate that this is referred to as THE comeback. I said this in my ‘Circus’ album review.... Blackout was her comeback and it was a damn good one to her fans. Blackout was that *****. It was dark and new, and it gave hit after hit after hit. It showed that Britney was still the queen of pop. Womanizer/Circus era was her comeback to the general public. The album was Blackout rejects and basic pop bops... it was nothing new. Don’t get me wrong it was, and still is, a great album. It put her back on the map to the media/general public, but her fans already knew she was back for a while now. The song still slaps though :lollipop:

I think blackout already put her on the map to GP. GM had no promo, only one performance that tarnished Britneys image even more, yet the song is more iconic than womanizer. Circus era was more successful, sold more, had a very successful tour but GM had more impact and is more remembered till today than womanizer and circus.

12 hours ago, Bundy said:

I think blackout already put her on the map to GP. GM had no promo, only one performance that tarnished Britneys image even more, yet the song is more iconic than womanizer. Circus era was more successful, sold more, had a very successful tour but GM had more impact and is more remembered till today than womanizer and circus.

Again, Blackout and Gimme More showed the general public that she was back to some extent, but it was not considered THE comeback to them, as it was to fans like myself (and I’m assuming you). There was no promo period. It was her first album that did not go to number 1. The song, video, and VMA performance, I agree is iconic and one of my favorites, but was not considered that by the media at the time. Headlines like “Spears’ Performance Fiasco”, “Britney Spears: Is She Out For The Count”, and “She’s Embarrassed” were posted all over magazines and websites. Today it’s considered pop history, but back then the media and the public ripped her apart for it. It wasn’t until Womanizer and the Circus album that she shot back up to number 1, and the media/GP began looking at her in a positive light again... hence, THE comeback. Had the public not let her personal issues at the time overshadow Blackout and actually gave it a chance, I strongly believe that Blackout and Gimme More would have been her return to pop royalty for everyone and not just to fans, instead of the generic pop of Womanizer/Circus that is now believed to be her “comeback” by many :britstare11:

Archived