VERY interesting BBC article that mentions Britney when talking about gay fans and our fascination with female icons

feo

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, jordeezy said:

Real talk, though - everyone is brutal to everyone in today's world.  When you seek fame for your beauty, it comes with the territory for your beauty to be discussed.  Let us be real - Pop culture is more visual than audio driven since the 1980's.

I agree with what you are saying, but as Britney fans we know very well how all of that brutality can just dismantle a human being, even if they are a celebrity.  And women suffer in society far more than men, even when they both come to the industry relying on their beauty.  Compare any male boy bander like Nick Carter who achieved Britney levels of fame at one point, but he was never really torn to pieces like she was.  Even in the non-beauty sense, someone like Kanye West.  That guy is batshit crazy and says all sorts of rambling garbage, yet society seems to dismiss it like 'oh it is just Kanye being Kanye'.  It's cuz he's a man.  In a big way, I think this ****** society contributed to Britney being forced into that sketchy conservatorship (though of course the primary culprits appear to be Loucifer and her father).

On 9/24/2019 at 5:13 PM, jordeezy said:

Real talk, though - everyone is brutal to everyone in today's world.  When you seek fame for your beauty, it comes with the territory for your beauty to be discussed.  Let us be real - Pop culture is more visual than audio driven since the 1980's.

Such a great article. I totally agree with it. The Society pushes us to be mean, to be negative all the time, make some bad comments about everything all the time.

I know I am going to be hated for what I am going to say but I feel like some gay people are sometimes mean easily when we should understand the pain, the struggles with the rights etc... I can totally see that here, on Exhale, and on the social medias. But there are also nice people too.

I am sure that would be so much better, even for us reading, to have positive or constructive comments. Not mean comments just to be mean. We do not realize the power of words until it happens to us. I recall Taylor Swift saying she felt so bad when she was reading that people online were saying she was cancelled (because of the Kanye West famous snapchat video or something)...

I cannot imagine how Britney would feel if she was reading some comments or topics over here.

Judy Garland is totally an icon and I do believe she earns it. And I totally agree on the fact that gay community can relate to stars like Judy, Britney and others.

Thanks for sharing this article.

Thanks for sharing! I read an article about Anna Nicole Smith these days, and this part reminded me so much about Brit as well: 

"Anna Nicole Smith was still beautiful, still desirable, and she still had the body she had worked so hard to build. But the cracks were showing. A fantasy body was not supposed to feel pain or undergo addiction, not supposed to age, to change, to betray the most intimate facts of its owner’s existence — but Anna’s did. It was perhaps not the actual changes her body underwent but the fact that her body could change at all that turned the public against her. She was a fantasy. The rules were simple. How dare she break them?"

Thanks guys.  I found the article interesting too since I always wondered why us LGBT men tend to stan for powerful female celebs, pop stars in particular.  The article mentions that some of these women end up becoming 'fragile' or 'broken' people but I think it is more what the industry/society does to powerful women.  It happens to men too.  Justin Bieber seems like he is really struggling.  But I think women tend to suffer even more.

@glorified.ho Poor Anna Nicole. I hope that Brit's life doesn't turn into that

@Harlow I totally agree with you. I think us LGBT people should be even more empathetic considering the **** we have to go through just for being who we are.

Great article but i don't agree with this

" Some gay men find more affinity in straight female stars than they do in those from their own community, a process that queer academic José Muñoz calls “disidentification”. He thinks that LGBTQ+ people often assign queerness to characters or stories that are not explicitly queer as a “coping mechanism”.

People always forget bisexuality  is also a thing:joanne:

Archived