When did this thing really start?

putONaSHOW

So I'm just really bored waiting for the Blair Witch game to finally release so I can play it... No, seriously: I really was wondering something. 

First because I actually don't remember well and second because I was only 11 yo when I started going online to Britney forums and stuff, and that was back in 2003 (near the release of ITZ) - therefore I didn't keep up with every single thing for a while.

I'm sure we all know that nowadays the general public REALLY doesn't take Britney seriously. Like, sometimes it seems that even when an artist is applauding her at an awards show, it's more out of "let's do this because it's what we're supposed to do kinda respect" than because they actually think the performance was great. Some celebs don't even care and make faces and stuff - there's loads of gif and memes of these moments around.

I do remember watching the 2016 VMAs and, here in Brazil, one of the official douches commentators had this to say after Rihanna left the stage: "See? She walked in, she gave a show and she sang LIVE. It's not that hard, is it?". And it really struck me, right then, how rooted this Britney and playback topic is, so much so that a shitty commentator I didn't even know or gave a d**n about felt like saying it live -- in my country, not even where the Award event was originally being held. 

I don't intend to start a "in favor vs. against" lip sync thread, or to defend/judge the fact that she does it or not. 

I just want help to go back and try to understand a little how we got to where we are today in 2019: being fans of an artist who undoubtedly has a legacy, but who is dismissed by the gp (not to mention the music critics who, at least 65%, are against her in every single way possible).

So, what I really want to pinpoint is: can we determine an exact moment or period when Britney became someone the general public won't take seriously (or even harshly dismiss)? AND also: was there a specific occasion that kick started this whole lip sync ordeal? Is it just something that was always there and escalated, or was there a period -- like after her breakdown -- when it began (or turned into something big)?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could take her firs VMA performance, or the second or any other performance, because each critic must have started noticing it at some point.

The whole thing started, even before Britney. There's always been this perception about pop music and pop acts in general as being less than other genres, because they're tied to this "pre-fabricated" thing, or being "plastic", untalented.

For whatever reason, people think that a rock song is more valuable than a pop song. They dismiss the power of a catchy, bubblegum pop song as if it was easier to come up with a bop than make a "more complex" song. We all have different opinions, personally, I think it's harder to come up with a song that is simple, that is easy to sing, that is catchy without being obnoxious, and that becomes timeless, like BOMT or OIDIA, than create a song based on lyrics that are almost poetry, because that's like, 70% of the song is already done before actually making the music. 

I always say it, if it was that easy to create pop music, everyone and their grandmas would be releasing pop albums left and right, AND getting hits, if it actually didn't require any talent whatsoever. I can go and record a song for more that a producer edits my voice, it won't sound good because I don't sing. So even if Britney or other pop acts get some help with their vocals at the studio, they still have to have something to work with from the beginning, and that's what most people don't understand or don't appreciate.

The same people usually prefer a Christina or Beyoncé that "sing live" on their shows when they actually just scream some ooh's and aaah's while the background singers sing the actual lyrics of the songs (if we're lucky) than a lipsyncing Britney that PERFORMS the whole song as we know it, adding more dance moves and so. 

The same people as well, usually give more credit to a singer that also wrote their songs, because apparently your singing talent or performance skills don't count if you don't write your songs, because you know, logic.

There's also the part that has to do with envy, even to a lesser extent. If you see a rising star like Britney, who was so beautiful, and perfect, and talented and successful, people either fall in love with that in admiration, or the envy just makes them pick all the flaws they can find to put her down: "but she doesn't sing live", "she doesn't write her songs", "the not so pretty one Xtina sings better", "she can only sing bubblegum pop songs", "she's not a virgin", "she's a bad example for kids", etc. 

The sad part is that it's very difficult to erase first impressions, and even more when in this case Britney, isn't interested to prove them wrong. So she would have to do something super groundbreaking to change people's minds, but I don't think it'll happen in this lifetime.  

Ok, hate me, but, sis, c'mon, Britney is the only singer who didn't sing a single word live in a TV show since 2004, and she released 5 albums since then. I'm just trying to consider people's point of view, NOT mine, because I know that Britney had a really hard life, she still has. In order to answer your question, I think from around 2007. However, she's always been criticized just because she was a pop singer  (back then Christina  Aguilera or Lady Gaga, for example, were criticized as well, just because people associate pop-music to un-talented pretty girls/boys). But, as far as Currentney is concerned, I don't blame people, honestly. True, she had her breakdown (but remember that she's not the only one in the show business), and everyone should be more respectful, but  at the end of the day, especially now, in 2019, most of the people don't know that it happened, they just see a millionaire singer who doesn't sing and can't really dance anymore. Furthermore, back then was more common using the playback; now it's very rare that a singer doesn't sing at all (ok, we know that many singers like Beyoncè use pre-rec, but, please, it's not ALWAYS like that). Why on Earth someone should really respect her as an artist?

Well it's very weird, besides Britney, I don't understand the point of hating on lypsinc. Honestly if the performance doesn't allow you to sing properly then yeah you should lypsinc. I can"t at these singers who want to sing live even if they're out of breath... I mean look at Ariana Grande riding a bike at full speed while singing... She did well but it wasn't incredible either. A small part of lypsinc would have helped the performance A LOT. Or Katy/Taylor, who prefers to sing horribly bad on some days but no lypsinc... it ruins everything... 

Don't get me started on Beyonce's performance where she dances the whole thing and so, she sings 3 words in the whole song... It's stupid... 
Britney at least gives a clean audio while she gives great dance moves. She choosed to dance not to sing when she's on stage. And that's not because she can't sing, she proved it several times. 

People who hate on lypsinc forget that those artists are performers, entertainers, not "singers" (even if they can in some way). If you want to hear someone sing there's amazing shows for that. 

But what we forgot a lot about Britney is that, for some popstars, being catched with lypsinc destroyed their career, while Britney remains unbothered. She did a 4 years vegas residency and every one who bought a ticket knew that she would not sing. Same thing for her tours. They're full, sometimes sold out, and people know that she won't produce a single sound with her mouth. I bet most popular pop star wouldn't sell a ticket if they were doing lypsinc and that's because Britney has something a lot of popstars lack today: stage presence. She's there and giving. Not just trying to look good or cool, she's actually there with her audiance. 

People have been against Britney since the very start. She was intentionally made and marketed as a polarizing figure to cause controversy. It was intentional. But people didn’t really start hating on her until her tour and the VMA lip syncing rumors started. Then again when she changed her image in 2001. People didn’t like that she became so ******. 

I don't think anyone took her seriously except her stans from the very beginning. She was a teenager outselling everyone else, that made "real artists" jealous, made fans of those artists annoyed this girl who hadn't written a song ever would be outselling and outperforming their faves, and that's how she began.

We love her, so we're obviously biased. But lipsyncing may as well be banned for everyone in 2019. Live singing is always expected, even if you have background vocalists and you only sing part of a melody and adlib. Even if it makes the performance worse, like Normani's VMAs performance. She had a full iconic choreo, but she had to sing. Her vocals were weak (obviously if you're dancing at that level) and people criticised her for not having full impressive breath support while dancing hard.

That style of popstar (Normani, Britney, going back to Janet) doesn't really need to sing live in my opinion because it's all about creating that music video illusion. People nowadays though would pan the 2001 VMAs performance because her mic wasn't on despite how iconic it was.

3 hours ago, britneymegamix said:

Ok, hate me, but, sis, c'mon, Britney is the only singer who didn't sing a single word live in a TV show since 2004, and she released 5 albums since then. I'm just trying to consider people's point of view, NOT mine, because I know that Britney had a really hard life, she still has. In order to answer your question, I think from around 2007. However, she's always been criticized just because she was a pop singer  (back then Christina  Aguilera or Lady Gaga, for example, were criticized as well, just because people associate pop-music to un-talented pretty girls/boys). But, as far as Currentney is concerned, I don't blame people, honestly. True, she had her breakdown (but remember that she's not the only one in the show business), and everyone should be more respectful, but  at the end of the day, especially now, in 2019, most of the people don't know that it happened, they just see a millionaire singer who doesn't sing and can't really dance anymore. Furthermore, back then was more common using the playback; now it's very rare that a singer doesn't sing at all (ok, we know that many singers like Beyoncè use pre-rec, but, please, it's not ALWAYS like that). Why on Earth someone should really respect her as an artist?

This. It's sad but true, and that's why her music career nowadays is nowhere to be found. 

It's just pure nostalgia at this point. 

Archived