The Hollywood Reporter VMAs Hit All-Time Ratings Low for 3rd Straight Year

Puppy

• Super Mods
4 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

No, but her daughter Blue will perform 15 minutes medley and will become the youngest artist to receive the Video Vanguard Award

Guess I’m looking forward to seeing Blue Ivy’s rendition of Naughty Girl. Lovely. :awks:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly don't think Britney, Gaga, Beyonce etc. being there would have made much of a difference. The VMA's genuinely aren't as good as they used to be. But it's a shame because I think this year wasn't too bad and they had a good line up of performers.

2 hours ago, puppylo16 said:

Honestly I always tuned into to the VMAs because that’s the only event where people can be trash and that’s okay because it makes good tv and the stellar performances. Even though Britney outshined them, the other performances are just as decent and have great production. I mean anyone remember when Diana Ross played with Lil Kim’s **** when she wore that purple jumpsuit with the pastie? Little moments like that are just fun! Or when Britney and Christina both stepped out to introduce Whitney, everyone was quaking to see how the ladies would act given the rivalry. It doesn’t have to be just performances, there’s no iconic vma moment. Even Buzzfeed was trying but even the highlights are still a dud. 

Dear god Queen, get back your millions and just buyout MTV. You can even rename it BTV and every year the BMAs will be held in Las Vegas where every year Britney comes out and reminds us how beautiful the theater is  :mhm:

lol knowing MTV BMAs will stand for Beyonce Music Awards :mcorangu: 

13 hours ago, dancewithme said:

Before you know it, it's history. Before yo know it... It's Britney *****!!

No Britney, no VMA

Let me remind you that they have low raitings for the last 3 years. in 2016 Britney performed.

So dont be cocky about Britney Spears, cause even Britney cant save the VMAs.

1 hour ago, Prince Ali said:

but a lot of people watched the performances on youtube afterward so the interest is still there...

People have interest in their favorite artist and the performance they give. Not the MTV. In today media what people mostly do is streaming, they want to see what the artist do at the time they want to see it.

MTV Awards aren’t a big event no more. 

I didn’t even know that the VMA’s had taken place until after the ceremony had been televised. Says it all really. 

And just to reiterate what others have posted - I too agree that without the presence of Britney there is no real buzz or excitement for the show. 

Eh...as much as I'd like to say its cause Britney isn't there, the truth is, no one cares about these award shows anymore. Back in the day before the internet was popular these award shows were not just award shows but also an advertisement for songs and videos so people actually checked them. It also doesn't help that the music industry has become saturated so the idea of "a star" has been lost. Social media has made singers so accessible so the aura and mysteriousness of stars back in the day has been lost. Back then people watched award shows cause they wanted to see the stars. Now you have about a hundred princes and princesses of pops so everything is just meh.

The Oscars are really the only award show that still has that celebrity enigma and even their ratings have started to plummet over the years.

Literally the whole show is just trash drama now.  I watched highlights of it, and it's mostly just celebs screaming and pretend kissing and jumping around, and giving dirty/jealous looks, etc.  I mean it's always had that even when Britney was the star of it, but it's even more now because the 'talent' is so boring so they try to focus on that instead. 
:umok:

The music industry sucks now unfortunately, and one of the main reasons is lack of originality and content overload. They're expected to release music at a faster pace now with streaming, whereas before they can focus on quality and release one single every few months. And before we had to wait to listen it to on the radio, vs now you can play whenvever you want lol.  Same with movies too... everything's a remake or just flat out poorly written or gimmicky.

Just wanted to see Normani's and Rosalía's performances and nothing else tbh

The VMAs just aren't a big event anymore. Especially knowing the shady things they've done in the past, maybe they don't even deserve a reputation like they have for their awards... Britney not winning big until Piece of Me, Beyonce not performing unless she won an award, them snubbing the same people who helped build them (Madonna didn't get a spot to perform, which she should've)...

Archived