IS IT BAD THAT ....

BritintheZone

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel bad for wanting it but I’m SO thirsty for new music. But since Brit’s out of the running atm, I’ve had to lower my expectations. 

So I’m ready for music from anyone tbh (not Ariana tho, and TS’s new stuff is generic af)

Where’d the leading ladies of pop go? 2013 was their last big year seeing as 2016 was... not that great. Glory was awesome but only one decent music video. Witness was shocking, Joanne wasn’t what anyone was here for and I wasn’t that into ANTI. 

As much as I want Britney to come in and save the day, I know she’s got stuff going on right now. Real stuff. Yet RiRi and Gaga are just sitting on new albums, hanging fans out to dry. We can’t stream your makeup line ladies. Give us the bops :pleaseshhh:

Every mega pop artist is too busy looking for the new “it” sound right now to actually put out anything good. Miley put out her EP which is just awful and a terrible try for a new sound, Justin timberlake put out that awful song “flithy” as an attempt at a new sound, Lady gaga tried country pop with joanne, and Rihanna has pretty much left pop music for a more R&B/hip hop style. Katy tried to release something more familiar with “never really over” but it flopped horribly. The only person that seems to be doing quite well in pop is Ariana and thats because she isnt trying to redefine pop music or follow trends.  Most of them are too busy trying to redefine pop music rather than releasing good material. 

I want her to have another super famous album with 5 singles and crazy promo so she can be back on top but I also want her to flop so Team B can see that their plan isn’t working anymore,the thing that worries me is that if she flops again she will be sad since she has said that she cares about charts and numbers etc.

On 7/13/2019 at 2:01 AM, babyimmafreak90 said:

I feel bad for wanting it but I’m SO thirsty for new music. But since Brit’s out of the running atm, I’ve had to lower my expectations. 

So I’m ready for music from anyone tbh (not Ariana tho, and TS’s new stuff is generic af)

Where’d the leading ladies of pop go? 2013 was their last big year seeing as 2016 was... not that great. Glory was awesome but only one decent music video. Witness was shocking, Joanne wasn’t what anyone was here for and I wasn’t that into ANTI. 

As much as I want Britney to come in and save the day, I know she’s got stuff going on right now. Real stuff. Yet RiRi and Gaga are just sitting on new albums, hanging fans out to dry. We can’t stream your makeup line ladies. Give us the bops :pleaseshhh:

On 7/13/2019 at 2:28 AM, DayvinDazone said:

I cannot agree more.

I didn't expect Witness to tank as much as it did given the fact that the album is the creation of someone who landed five consecutive #1 hits from one album. By the time Gaga released Joanne I was so over her and her whole act... she defined my teenage years and The Fame & The Fame Monster is pop music at its absolute best, but while I admire the fact she can do jazz, country and anything in between I'm just not feeling her new stuff. 

Now, I did like Anti - although I was slightly disappointed at first because there were no standout smash hits like Only Girl, We Found Love etc. - these huge dance anthems RiRi's come to be known & loved for. I understand now, however, that it was a transitional album for her, one she needed to make to draw the line and cross over from mainstream pop music to music that she's in control of and one that better reflects her growth and artistry. I didn't like any of the singles from the scrapped Kanye produced album (FourFive Seconds, ***** Better Have My Money, American Oxygen - all of them sound like noise to me).

As for any new music by Gaga and RiRi.... the problem with huge mega artists like them is that all of them eventually get to a point where they go "why even bother?" - especially when they have other endeavors that easily generate income (let's be honest, putting out an album is a taxing process and it also encompasses good 2 years of single cycles + tour + promo which costs a lot of $$$, time, and energy. It's so much easier to make money through endorsements, investment, other business stuff, merchandise when you've reached their level of magnitude than to record & write music. It's like they do 110% when they're just starting out so they can get to a point where they can afford to get comfortable and just do few things here and there.

Rihanna's major focus is on her makeup brand, Gaga's was acting and now she's launching a makeup brand, too. Katy appears to be working on something, but the single that was supposed to define summer 2019 flopped miserably and certified her as a Z-list flop artist. Xtina and cafeterias are now synonymous, Mariah released a new album so no new music in sight....

It's so depressing!!!!

Well, yes, looking at sales and chart positions, 2013 onwards hasn't been a good time for the pop legends and main pop girls, but if we're looking at the music itself, it's quite the opposite. Let's have a look at the great albums that have been released since 2013:

• Lady Gaga - ARTPOP
  • Cher - Closer To The Truth (her comeback after a 12-year-long hiatus! :unbelievableney:)
  • Tove Lo - Truth Serum EP (debut)
  • Ariana Grande - Yours Truly (debut)
  • Lorde - Pure Heroine (debut)
  • Charli XCX - True Romance (debut)

• Kylie Minogue - Kiss Me Once
  • Mariah Carey - Me. I Am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse
  • Ariana Grande - My Everything
  • Lily Allen - Sheezus
  • The Veronicas - The Veronicas (their comeback after a 7-year-long hiatus! :unbelievableney:)
  • Tove Lo - Queen Of The Clouds
  • Melanie Martinez - Dollhouse EP (debut)
  • Charli XCX - SUCKER

• Janet Jackson - Unbreakable (her comeback after a 7-year-long hiatus! :unbelievableney:)
  • Madonna - Rebel Heart
  • Carly Rae Jepsen - E•MO•TION
  • Melanie Martinez - Cry Baby
  • Halsey - BADLANDS (debut)

• Britney Spears - Glory
  • Rihanna - ANTi
  • Ariana Grande - Dangerous Woman
  • Tove Lo - Lady Wood
  • Lady Gaga - Joanne
  • Charli XCX - Vroom Vroom EP

• Lorde - Melodrama
  • Dua Lipa - Dua Lipa (debut)
  • Tove Lo - BLUE LIPS [lady wood phase II]
  • Halsey - hopeless fountain kingdom
  • Charli XCX - Number 1 Angel
  • Charli XCX - Pop 2

• Mariah Carey - Caution
  • Lily Allen - No Shame
  • Ariana Grande - Sweetener
  • Robyn - Honey (her comeback after a 9-year-long hiatus! :unbelievableney:)
  • Christina Aguilera - Liberation
  • Kylie Minogue - Golden
  • Cher - Dancing Queen

• Ariana Grande - thank u, next
  • Madonna - Madame X
  • Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated

So, yeah... purely music-wise, the main pop girls and legends are doing anywhere from just fine to amazing, and we've seen some new artists join.

Now, there's the main question - do we care about chart success (the category in which the girls aren't doing all too well) or do we care about the music itself (the category in which everyone is doing very well)? :mhmsureny:

Also, speaking of ANTi and Joanne, the two albums which you guys focused on, I think both were very good. ANTi is definitely not like any other body of work Rih has released before, and there is a notabe abscence of the pop hits and bops you guys brought up, but I think it's her best album up-to-date. I don't know, everything is just so perfect about it, I think it fits Rihanna perfectly! :unbelievableney:

As for Joanne, it's a very similar story - it's unlike any other Gaga album, but I love it because it's Gaga experimenting! Think of it, that wild, weird but captivating persona as well as unusual electronic bops is something we've seen Gaga do since 2008. Sooner or later, that shtick would've gotten boring, so I'm glad she changed things up a bit. Also, despite not being very successful, the album still had an influence on the pop scene - notice that in the years after Joanne, we've seen other artists come out with their own country-influenced and / or more personal albums, such as Miley Cyrus' Younger Now, Kesha's Rainbow and Justin Timberlake's Man Of The Woods.

And, yeah... that's all I really have to say...

2 hours ago, Shadow2003 said:

Well, yes, looking at sales and chart positions, 2013 onwards hasn't been a good time for the pop legends and main pop girls, but if we're looking at the music itself, it's quite the opposite. Let's have a look at the great albums that have been released since 2013:

• Lady Gaga - ARTPOP
  • Cher - Closer To The Truth (her comeback after a 12-year-long hiatus! :unbelievableney:)
  • Tove Lo - Truth Serum EP (debut)
  • Ariana Grande - Yours Truly (debut)
  • Lorde - Pure Heroine (debut)
  • Charli XCX - True Romance (debut)

• Kylie Minogue - Kiss Me Once
  • Mariah Carey - Me. I Am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse
  • Ariana Grande - My Everything
  • Lily Allen - Sheezus
  • The Veronicas - The Veronicas (their comeback after a 7-year-long hiatus! :unbelievableney:)
  • Tove Lo - Queen Of The Clouds
  • Melanie Martinez - Dollhouse EP (debut)
  • Charli XCX - SUCKER

• Janet Jackson - Unbreakable (her comeback after a 7-year-long hiatus! :unbelievableney:)
  • Madonna - Rebel Heart
  • Carly Rae Jepsen - E•MO•TION
  • Melanie Martinez - Cry Baby
  • Halsey - BADLANDS (debut)

• Britney Spears - Glory
  • Rihanna - ANTi
  • Ariana Grande - Dangerous Woman
  • Tove Lo - Lady Wood
  • Lady Gaga - Joanne
  • Charli XCX - Vroom Vroom EP

• Lorde - Melodrama
  • Dua Lipa - Dua Lipa (debut)
  • Tove Lo - BLUE LIPS [lady wood phase II]
  • Halsey - hopeless fountain kingdom
  • Charli XCX - Number 1 Angel
  • Charli XCX - Pop 2

• Mariah Carey - Caution
  • Lily Allen - No Shame
  • Ariana Grande - Sweetener
  • Robyn - Honey (her comeback after a 9-year-long hiatus! :unbelievableney:)
  • Christina Aguilera - Liberation
  • Kylie Minogue - Golden

• Ariana Grande - thank u, next
  • Madonna - Madame X
  • Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated

So, yeah... purely music-wise, the main pop girls and legends are doing anywhere from just fine to amazing, and we've seen some new artists join.

Now, there's the main question - do we care about chart success (the category in which the girls aren't doing all too well) or do we care about the music itself (the category in which everyone is doing very well)? :mhmsureny:

Also, speaking of ANTi and Joanne, the two albums which you guys focused on, I think both were very good. ANTi is definitely not like any other body of work Rih has released before, and there is a notabe abscence of the pop hits and bops you guys brought up, but I think it's her best album up-to-date. I don't know, everything is just so perfect about it, I think it fits Rihanna perfectly! :unbelievableney:

As for Joanne, it's a very similar story - it's unlike any other Gaga album, but I love it because it's Gaga experimenting! Think of it, that wild, weird but captivating persona as well as unusual electronic bops is something we've seen Gaga do since 2008. Sooner or later, that shtick would've gotten boring, so I'm glad she changed things up a bit. Also, despite not being very successful, the album still had an influence on the pop scene - notice that in the years after Joanne, we've seen other artists come out with their own country-influenced and / or more personal albums, such as Miley Cyrus' Younger Now, Kesha's Rainbow and Justin Timberlake's Man Of The Woods.

And, yeah... that's all I really have to say...

We had Lana's Ultraviolence, Honeymoon and Lust for Life in those years too, which are all far superior to anything in the list xoxo

Archived