Why did Madonna use Britney?

SkinnyAsANeedle

13 hours ago, babyimmafreak90 said:

I mean, I’m not sure why we’ve got to put one down to lift the other, but okay. Both albums are timeless masterpieces for the ages tho.

Madonna is a business woman above all else. I don’t think “using” is the right word. I do think that in most cases, Madonna’s publicity stunts have in some way benefited the other people involved. I think that it’s obvious Madonna has her best interests in mind (who wouldn’t tho lbr) but I don’t think she used Britney as such. People still talk about that VMAs moment which cements the both of them in pop culture. Madonna is just that good at what she does. And her career spanning 4 decades thanks her for it :madance:

Plus the princess of pop and the queen of pop coming together was something that just had to happen. Imagine a world without the kiss :bthink:

Agreed.

I love them both. But it blows my mind to see others say that Britney "saved" Madonna's career back in 2003, or to hear them put down Confessions.

Madonna was still at the height of her game in 2003. American Life may have flopped, but it certainly wasn't due to it being a poor album. Just poor timing.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Steel Magnolia said:

Agreed.

I love them both. But it blows my mind to see others say that Britney "saved" Madonna's career back in 2003, or to hear them put down Confessions.

Madonna was still at the height of her game in 2003. American Life may have flopped, but it certainly wasn't due to it being a poor album. Just poor timing.

Yes, I agree. Madonna was at the top of her game for all of the 00’s, including hard candy and it’s accompanying tour being a huuuuge success. Poor timing and America not being able to handle criticism did hold American Life back a little, but it still sold millions anyway. 

On 7/12/2019 at 2:59 PM, Dark.Knight said:

How? It only put Britney in a worse spot than she was

Britney got hella press after that kiss. Were you not alive? the pic of the kiss was on every tabloid on newstands for weeks! every news channel replayed the kiss on a loop the next day and for weeks after. it was a huge news story that tied in to the In the zone promotions and Madonnas American Life album

21 hours ago, ovoxo said:

I feel like their relationship was mostly forced by PR. We can tell Janet was her actual inspiration 

THIS the fact that Britney was white and Blonde like Madonna i believe the label pushed the madonna comparisons. No shade but from 2001-2004 Britney's performance style was a carbon copy/ mirror image of Janet's onstage presence i never got the madonna comparisons apart from race hair color and ****** images. 

8 hours ago, onyx09 said:

Britney got hella press after that kiss. Were you not alive? the pic of the kiss was on every tabloid on newstands for weeks! every news channel replayed the kiss on a loop the next day and for weeks after. it was a huge news story that tied in to the In the zone promotions and Madonnas American Life album

uh i was pretty much alive throughout her whole career, including MMC

it was bad press

1 hour ago, Dark.Knight said:

uh i was pretty much alive throughout her whole career, including MMC

it was bad press

Yes, it only fueled the bad image people were starting to get from Britney after the split with Justin.

Maybe today it would've been seen as "yas! girl power" or something, but back then it was like "OMG, what message is she sending to the kids?" 

In fact, despite ITZ selling a lot, it sold so much less than the previous albums. 

12 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Yes, it only fueled the bad image people were starting to get from Britney after the split with Justin.

Maybe today it would've been seen as "yas! girl power" or something, but back then it was like "OMG, what message is she sending to the kids?" 

In fact, despite ITZ selling a lot, it sold so much less than the previous albums. 

source.gif

On 7/12/2019 at 4:43 PM, BradAdamson said:

Well, Madonna was actually promoting American Life (not Confessions) when the kiss happened. The album may not have done great, but its content certainly made a huge impact and is remembered today as one of Madonna’s most hard-hitting albums. Confessions got huge on its own merit, because it was a HUGE and BRILLIANT pop album after something outside of the box (a more recent example of this is Rihanna’s transition from Rated R to LOUD).

Some younger fans may not remember, but something was bubbling with Britney and Madonna years before when they showed their love for each other by wearing each other’s merchandise. It escalated around the Britney era when Britney started citing Madonna as an influence and her music was included in Crossroads.

Apparently Britney and Xtina weren’t even the first choices for the 2003 VMAs and were brought in after the first choices couldn’t / wouldn’t take part. It got huge because Madonna is arguably the biggest pop star of all time and Britney was the biggest pop star of that age. MATM happened organically when Britney asked M to hop on the track when they were in rehearsals for the VMAs.

So, rather than M using B, it was more a case of two huge artists who had a lot of respect for each other coming together for a MOMENT that benefitted them both equally.

And before the release of CONFESSIONS Madonna stated she was inspired by Britney for that album.

Madonna obviously likes Britney and she also uses current successful popstar for her own fame, which is of course not a bad thing. Most popstars were inspired by Madonna so it's only fair for her to use them in return. Madonna used Taylor Swift for her performance of "Ghostown", where they perform together, she invited Ariana Grande & Katy Perry on stage on her last tour etc

• 7 months later...
Just now, Leolileinstein said:

yeah but that was before. when britney reached a bigger fanbase, madonna just dissed her. And even said yes for the documentary.

and wearing a tee "in the public" doesn't mean anything. people use other people all the time in hollywood.

madonna even collaborated with taylor swift when she was becoming popular.

On 7/12/2019 at 9:56 PM, Shadow2003 said:

What "LGBTQMHPXZY+++" stands for:

• L - Lesbian
  • G - Gay
  • B - Britney Spears
  • T - Transgender
  • Q - Queer
  • M - Madonna
  • H - Heinoussexual
  • P - Potato
  • X - the parallel axis to Y
  • Z(zzzzzzzzzzzzz) - the sound bees make
  • Y - y tho

:jj:

So, uhh... looking back at this nearly a year later, I'm like: "...Whuttice dis hunny?". Honestly, this part here feels sort of disrespectful and I feel bad about writing this. :eheeek: I kind of wish there was a way to edit / delete old posts.

Archived