Did you know: Britney's '...Baby One More Time' era was inspired by Robyn

Shadow2003

So, I was just browsing through YouTube and stumbled upon this video, titled Robyn: From Pop Puppet to Independent Icon. Since I love Robyn, I decided to check it out. What I didn't expect is that I'd discover something new not only about Robyn, but about Britney too! :o

Here's the video. The noteworthy part has been timestamped, so just press "Play" and discover this new fact:

I haven't listened to Robyn's first three albums yet, so I had no idea about this, but hearing "Show Me Love" and "Do You Know (What It Takes)" and comparing them to ...BOMT- and Oops!-era Britney, the similarities are very noticeabe.

So, did you already know about this or is this completely new info to you? Discuss it in this thread. :)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I knew about it. Jive wanted Britney to be the American Robyn, they even told Britney so and made her watch her videos when they were about to shoot BOMT.

However, Britney thought they were boring because there was no dancing in them, and that’s when she came up with the dancing schoolgirl concept.

36 minutes ago, jordeezy said:

Robyn worked with Max as well..."Show Me Love" was such a bop but Robyn didn't become a household name in America... I think Britney's image itself was shaped more by Spice Girls/Janet Jackson more during BOMT.

Britney is before my eyes Janet 2.0, they’re so similar. 

11 hours ago, CJMCH said:

Yeah, it was slightly mentioned during the BOMT era, barely enough that most people didn't know about it

Tbh I've only heard about Robyn because of Britney.

At least here in Mexico, I don't think she was that known, as let's say, Madonna or Whitney. Maybe she was known but just wasn't my years, but, you know, Whitney wasn't either but her hits are timeless and kept being played over the decades.

To this day I think I can't mention a single song by Robyn, maybe I should give it a try if Max Martin wrote her songs.

1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

To this day I think I can't mention a single song by Robyn, maybe I should give it a try if Max Martin wrote her songs.

I think you should definitely check out her Body Talk trilogy and her latest body of work, Honey. Both are great albums and I highly recommend them. :mhm:

Britney is a mixture of many. Jive tested a lot of things with Samantha Fox back in the late 1980s...

BOYS music video IS Samantha's HURT ME HURT ME music video

Jive definitely took inspiration from Janet and Madonna, but they kept it safer and teen appropriate-ish

Yes, Max Martin said it himself plus I think Robyn has vocals and other credits on the Blackout album. She is very talented and passionate in her work although not my favorite because her songs tend to me more negative toned. Robyn's best mainstream songs:

Show Me Love

With Every Heartbeat

Dancing on My Own (popularized by Britain's Got Talent's Calum Scott cover) 

Handle Me 

Be Mine

-----

Archived