Hedwig and the angry inch creator slams Britney

Puppy

• Super Mods

Saw this article, it’s mostly about Madonna but he does mention Britney and Lady Gaga. Here’s the part:

Mitchell was also critical of Britney Spears and Lady Gaga, both of whom have cited Madonna as an influence on their respective music careers. 

He deemed Spears’ work as “blow-up doll stuff, which is an even worse example of a gay icon.” He said he admired Gaga’s “activism and eclecticism,” but added, “There’s a kind of, ‘I want to be something that already existed.’ The quickly shifting to another, ‘You don’t like this look? How about this one?’” 

“Gay icons for men used to be very strong women, or women who broke the rules,” he said. Referring to the fabled, widely debated link between Garland’s death and the symbolic start of the LGBTQ rights movement in 1969, he added, “I don’t think it was a mistake that Stonewall happened the day after Judy Garland died.”

Full article

what do you guys think? To me, he kinda sound like an old fart and a little uncalled for, I agree on his views of Madonna to a certain extent but at the end of the day who is he to pass judgment? I mean I kinda laughed a little when he thought Judy Garland’s death had something to do with the stonewall riots, he’s no different than us fangirling his idol. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, puppylo16 said:

Saw this article, it’s mostly about Madonna but he does mention Britney and Lady Gaga. Here’s the part:

Mitchell was also critical of Britney Spears and Lady Gaga, both of whom have cited Madonna as an influence on their respective music careers. 

He deemed Spears’ work as “blow-up doll stuff, which is an even worse example of a gay icon.” He said he admired Gaga’s “activism and eclecticism,” but added, “There’s a kind of, ‘I want to be something that already existed.’ The quickly shifting to another, ‘You don’t like this look? How about this one?’” 

“Gay icons for men used to be very strong women, or women who broke the rules,” he said. Referring to the fabled, widely debated link between Garland’s death and the symbolic start of the LGBTQ rights movement in 1969, he added, “I don’t think it was a mistake that Stonewall happened the day after Judy Garland died.”

Full article

what do you guys think? To me, he kinda sound like an old fart and a little uncalled for, I agree on his views of Madonna to a certain extent but at the end of the day who is he to pass judgment? I mean I kinda laughed a little when he thought Judy Garland’s death had something to do with the stonewall riots, he’s no different than us fangirling his idol. 

Honestly, I have no idea how someone can call Britney's music "generic", "plastic" or lke in this case "blow-up doll stuff". Like, do they only know "Till The World Ends" and "Scream & Shout"? How can you listen to songs like "Toxic", "I'm A Slave 4 U", "Piece Of Me" and her other hits and call them "plastic"? Yeah, I get it, Britney's lyrics aren't always very deep or some poetic masterpiece, but, for me, the best part about her music was always the production! It's almost always amazing, interesting or at the very least danceable.

Whoever says that about her music must really not like pop music, because I find no other explanation for this. :tbh:

So he's one of the ones who believes Judy's death helped escalate emotions at the riots. Funny, bc one of the guys who was actually at Stonewall thinks it's bullshit.

That said, it's not his place to decide who looks up to who. If he prefers more outspoken, active figures, that's him. If another gay prefers looking up to Britney or Gaga, they can. Hell, the older figures can still be admired, too. It's called the internet.

Tbh, out of the three I guess Britney is the one that has stayed more neutral about gay activism, or any kind of activism by that means.

So if she's considered any sort of gay icon, it's because the gays "adopted" her as such, for whatever reasons, not so much because of Britney trying to appropriate something, or pretend to be something, so who is he to tell the people who deserves the admiration and recognition, or any title a given community wants to give a certain artist?

30 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Tbh, out of the three I guess Britney is the one that has stayed more neutral about gay activism, or any kind of activism by that means.

So if she's considered any sort of gay icon, it's because the gays "adopted" her as such, for whatever reasons, not so much because of Britney trying to appropriate something, or pretend to be something, so who is he to tell the people who deserves the admiration and recognition, or any title a given community wants to give a certain artist?

Exactly... we CHOSE Britney

59 minutes ago, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

Hedwig :zoomzoom: Isn't that the Owl Hagrid buys Harry in Sorceror's Stone and gets killed by Voldemort's Death Eaters in Deathly Hallows? :pieceofwhat:

That's kinda what I was thinking! :o

I saw the title and was like:

""Hedwig and the angry inch creator"? Is this some Harry Potter series side-writer that I never heard of? :ineedthetruth:

I don’t agree with him but those commenting “who?” just sound ignorant. He’s done some pretty incredible work, including a film called Shortbus that really pushed boundaries as far as *** in cinema. Hedwig and the Angry Inch is an incredible film and musical. 

• Super Mods
7 hours ago, Shadow2003 said:

Honestly, I have no idea how someone can call Britney's music "generic", "plastic" or lke in this case "blow-up doll stuff". Like, do they only know "Till The World Ends" and "Scream & Shout"? How can you listen to songs like "Toxic", "I'm A Slave 4 U", "Piece Of Me" and her other hits and call them "plastic"? Yeah, I get it, Britney's lyrics aren't always very deep or some poetic masterpiece, but, for me, the best part about her music was always the production! It's almost always amazing, interesting or at the very least danceable.

Whoever says that about her music must really not like pop music, because I find no other explanation for this. :tbh:

Yeah I get everyone has a right to their opinion and you don’t have to like her but to just write off the summary of one’s career like that is kinda disrespectful. He just sounds like another non fan dissing Britney.

• Super Mods
5 hours ago, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

Hedwig :zoomzoom: Isn't that the Owl Hagrid buys Harry in Sorceror's Stone and gets killed by Voldemort's Death Eaters in Deathly Hallows? :pieceofwhat:

Lol he creat

ed a musical that had him play a transsexual with no privates or ****** because his wound healed up so he/she/it is smooth down there. It’s actually a good film and very deep so reading this made me think a little less of him not because he just seems to contradict himself

Archived