The Demi Lovato Body-Shaming Must Stop

Jordan Miller

• Leader

demi-lovato-body-shamed-whale.jpg

SOME TAYLOR SWIFT FANS HONED IN ON THE POP STAR FOR PUBLICLY DEFENDING SCOOTER BRAUN AMIDST THE TAYLOR SWIFT MASTER RECORDINGS DRAMA.

Demi Lovato is no stranger to receiving hate on the Internet, especially on Twitter. She deleted her profile on the social media site eons ago, however the hatred spilled onto her Instagram account, and she’s well aware of it.

Related: Ruin The Friendship: Demi Lovato Will Spill The Tea On Forthcoming Album

After Swift penned her scathing letter regarding manager Scooter Braun purchasing her masters, it seemed like every celebrity took a side. Swift’s frequent collaborator, Todrick Hall, who was managed by Braun and his company for six years, claims Braun is homophobic. That inspired a response from Demi who refuted Hall’s claims. Read more about that here.

Her reply was enough ammunition for the Swifties to target Lovato. They retaliated by body shaming her. 

In light of Japan’s decision to lift the ban on whale hunting, hashtag #whale became a trending topic on Twitter. Followers ran with that and started calling Demi a whale. They even made the phrase “Take Demi back to the sea” a trending topic, according to a screenshot from Pop Alarms on Twitter. Others took past interviews Demi gave, removed her audio and replaced it with whale sounds.

It gets worse… Demi has personally seen the hatred. A user on Instagram posted a paparazzi shot of the singer and captioned it, “hey demi dm me so we can discuss a diet plan for you.” 

Lovato has a history with eating disorders and body image, however she seemed to take the awful comment in stride. 

“I actually am choosing not to diet and fall back into unhealthy behaviors at the risk of losing my sanity or mental health but thank you for the offer! Super sweet,” she responded.

Lovato made headlines last year after spiraling away from a life of sober living and into *****, which lead to a near-death overdose. She has reportedly remained clean since.

Obviously, the Internet can be a dark and terrible place, however it’s the minority of people that have the gall to publicly write such treacherous, hurtful words. Demi might have stepped on some toes when defending Braun, but that doesn’t give the Internet free rein to sling hatred at her.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

honestly.. these are dumb kids. No adult would argue with "yeah but you are fat". Its just pissed off kids that want to defend their fave but dont know how so they are lashing out.

This fanbase does it too. The amount of times people have quoted me saying "yeah well christina is FAT" thinking that I would be offended is ridiculous. This fanbase is the fanbase that is the most obsessed with weight imo.

Demi is fat and she knows it. If she is ok with that then that should be fine for everyone. Hope she isnt taking all these comments to seriously.

14 hours ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

wow, what a great argument, calling someone fat.. ugh, the internet, how I love you and loathe you all at the same time.. :NYcackle: if I were Taylor, I'd publicly tell my fans to shut the **** up and to stop being such immature ******** but hey, that's just me.. :bedtime:

2 hours ago, crazyboutbrit said:

I justy got chills reading the comments, tell me these are all photoshopped and nothing is real ... Being myself Over-weighted i just only can understand what comments like this can do

I'm really chocked .... Like how can you stay sane when ppl act so mean 

Chocked

1 hour ago, The Greatest Show said:

honestly.. these are dumb kids. No adult would argue with "yeah but you are fat". Its just pissed off kids that want to defend their fave but dont know how so they are lashing out.

This fanbase does it too. The amount of times people have quoted me saying "yeah well christina is FAT" thinking that I would be offended is ridiculous. This fanbase is the fanbase that is the most obsessed with weight imo.

Demi is fat and she knows it. If she is ok with that then that should be fine for everyone. Hope she isnt taking all these comments to seriously.

Yeah, fanbases of modern artists can be garbage, especially when drama happens. "Fat" also has really become a quick n' easy way to insult someone who's even a teeny tiny bit on the plus side. You don't like someone? Just go to their social media pages and call them "fat".

On one hand, it doesn't seem like much. Just some immature people calling you "fat", right? But fanbases (especially those of celebs the caliber of Taylor) are huge, and logging onto your social media account only to see many people calling you "fat" can be hurtful, especially if you're insecure about your weight. :tbh:

2 hours ago, The Greatest Show said:

you're not wrong, I mean, I'm sure I've done it too.. I remember there was a YT gossip channel that made a video about "Domination" and one of the hosts said something not so flattering about Britney and I instantly went all out "defense mode" calling her a basic valley girl, etc.

I just think it's a public figure's responsibility to hold their fans accountable even if they're children that lack judgement.. :idkney:

OMG, i didn't know Japan lifted the whale hunting ban :idkney:

Those animals where almost extinct because of hunting, the last thing they need is more countries allowing for them to be hunted. Poor babies :crying3:

Also on the Demi news I'm not surprised. Young fans can be disturbingly stupid and vile when they're "defending" their fave.

• 2 weeks later...

I read a comment on that twitter page saying that Selena Gomez had gotten fat too...

So I googled Selena Gomez and it looks like she intentionally gained weight to cover the fat that she got breast impants.lol Either way, she got breast implants! When did that happen???

On 7/3/2019 at 4:00 PM, iAlwaysSingLive said:

wow, what a great argument, calling someone fat.. ugh, the internet, how I love you and loathe you all at the same time.. :NYcackle: if I were Taylor, I'd publicly tell my fans to shut the **** up and to stop being such immature ******** but hey, that's just me.. :bedtime:

It's not Taylor's fault that Demi involved herself in something that literally had nothing to do with her but....:demi:

Archived