Madonna's "God Control" Music Video Contains A Powerful Message Against Gun Violence

Jordan Miller

• Leader

madonna-god-control-video.jpg

WAKE UP!

If you’re to take anything away from Madonna’s new music video for “God Control,” off her No. 1 album, Madame X, it’s that gun violence is destroying countless lives unnecessarily, and that the American government has a responsibility to tighten gun control laws. 

Madame X is many things, and there’s two facets of her in the video. One is a journalist, writing the important lyrics of the song on a typewriter. Meanwhile, another Madame X is heading to a NYC club for a night of fun, but unfortunately she encounters two harrowing experiences: she’s robbed at gun point en route then later mowed down by an assailant inside the venue, who uses an AK47 to wreak havoc on party-goers.

“Understand that this is what happens. Guns kill,” Madonna tells CNN. “A bullet rips through your body, knocks you to the floor and takes your life, and you bleed to death. I mean this is reality.”

“We know that one way to change our culture of gun violence is to change culture,” she continued. “People who change culture are often influencers and creative people. They have this ability to reach and connect millions and to encourage them to get involved and to use their voices and their votes to end gun violence.”

One of Madonna’s other new songs, “I Rise,” features a clip of Parkland, Florida student Emma Gonzalez, who survived the 2018 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

“We live in a democracy. We can change laws, but it requires organization — and it requires consistency — and it requires people doing what they can do — at a grass roots level or on a larger scale,” Madonna said. 

“Which is what I’m trying to do.”It’s a cause she believes anyone can be involved in. “You can do it through your art, you can do it through activism in your own community,” she said. “There are so many levels and ways to do it. I’m trying to stoke the fires and keep people focused on this crisis through my art and through my own statements.”

Watch the new eight-minute video below:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

on one hand I hate politics shoved down my throat via music but this specific subject matter I actually don't mind considering there's literally people's lives on the line.. extremely powerful stuff and I can't help but wonder if the whole setup is more or less generic or is it a nod to the Orlando shooting.. go figure.. :decisions: anyway, no shade to pop music (because duh) but Madonna has always been above "pop", she's always been so much more and this solidifies that.. :reductive:

feels weird talking about something so trivial considering the message of the whole shebang but I can't help but fall in love with the disco aesthetic, it's absolutely everything.. :howiroll:

I kind of think this transcends the usual political stuff -- though, it really doesn't, at the same time -- because it's something that needs to keep being discussed. We've become too desensitized to it as a nation, really. So really, I commend her... for coming through and doing what Madonna does best. :tiffanynod:

20 hours ago, Thurafatale9 said:

This is the best song off Madame X. Weird and bizarre in a really good way with a powerful statement.  She's still doing so much more than other pop girls nowadays!

I'm really appreciating this era. She is a pop star who has made a legendary career off ***. And not that she has not been artistic about it previously... but it's at a point where she is very under appreciated outside of her core majority gay following... meanwhile she's consistently putting out some of her best work.

This era is everything I didn't know I needed.

I've never been a Madge fan and never listen entirely to any of her albums .... except Madame X, i'm not saying that i do listen to all tracks but few ( i would even say several) are just master pieces .... One of these is God Control, I luv it

I read a critic on the album that was pretty summarizing this album : it's like three albums in a one causing a bit of lacking identity but stil very interesting :Latin pop guilty pleasure album, Tribal/ Musique du monde Style Album and The rest  :reductive:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived