Why is Britney's music still considered as "guilty pleasure" by the GP?

Riccus

So I just got back from a local bar and I am really pissed off.. 

Maybe this is not an issue that you deal with in your countries, but I do all the time. I requested BOMT from the dj who played 90s songs all night long and his answer (accompanied by a judgemental look)  was "no way".

In the past I have also received answers like "my boss will kill me if i play that song" ,etc.

So my question is: Why do they only play Britney songs in trash or 90s parties? Why -even if no other Britney song- isn't BOMT considered a classic like other songs from that era and the GP still thinks of it as a guilty pleasure? I mean, they play early JLo & 00's R'n'B all the time, but Britney is a big NO.

Sorry for rambling, but I've been thinking about this for quite some time and wanted to know if it has happened to some of you as well.

I'm so mad :letitburn: 

Edit: to add that it's a POP ANTHEM for God's sake. The fact that DJs are willing to play Despacito, but not Britney is driving me crazy. :yelping:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

unfortunately her personal life over took her professional life around '03. outside of stans not many people really pay attention to her music anymore. musically after in the zone most non fans aren't aware she's still active as a performer but can tell you all about the tabloid reports on her :crying2:

unfortunately her personal life over took her professional life around '03. outside of stans not many people really pay attention to her music anymore. musically after in the zone most non fans aren't aware she's still active as a performer but can tell you all about the tabloid reports on her :crying2:

This is kind of true. 

But you could even argue ever since back to her relationship with Justin Timberlaake was public she has been more of a 'celebrity' than a music act and the music 'complimented' her celebrity, despite recording/releasing some of the greatest music of the 21st Century.

Idk I don’t have this problem 

The general clubs here in the UK usually play toxic and gimme more and the gp lose their **** cos it’s a classic 

with baby one more time it’s not really club music but like when I host a party or pre drinks before going to the club I put baby one more time on and all my friends who aren’t stans at all still go wild and start singing it lol 

I totally get that! I think maybe a couple of my friends even realize she’s still making music and performing and even then, they don’t really listen to it. Whenever I have a girls night or before we go out (I have a 6-month-old so this is rare :jj:) we definitely put Brit on but it’s always the old stuff for nostalgia’s sake.  Anytime I’ve tried to put something newer on, it’s almost like I’m weird for listening to anything past Slave with the exception of Gimme More and a couple Circus tracks. 

Here in Poland big radio stations even refuse to play her music at all lmao. Back in 2016 when Glory came out, I requested songs from that album millions of times and you know what? They just ignored me :zoomzoom:

The only song from her (basically, she's a feature in that one)  they play again and again and it really annoys me is "Scream&Shout". Her fanbase is active in my country too but you know, they keep ignoring us :tiffeyeroll:

Because her place in music history is Queen of teenpop. 
Pop stars (especially female) have to be "mature" to get respected.
Either you have to get darker or more artsy fartsy.
Even queen of pop Madonna herself had to desexualize her image and use religion and motherhood to win the audience back.

She either needs a major comeback or death.
Once Amy Winehouse died, NO ONE called her a crackwhore anymore. People start praising her again and her death was considered a big loss for music. No one cared for her **** abuse anymore. The same with so many other artists. It's f**king disgusting.

I swear to God, if the same people who bashed me for liking Britney are the ones who act super sad once she passes away, I'M GONNA RIOT!

Because her place in music history is Queen of teenpop. 
Pop stars (especially female) have to be "mature" to get respected.
Either you have to get darker or more artsy fartsy.
Even queen of pop Madonna herself had to desexualize her image and use religion and motherhood to win the audience back.

Her place in music history is Queen of teenpop EXCEPT for Toxic.

Blackout is her greatest album and influential but the problem was the timing.

And Circus-present is when Single Ladies Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Katy Perry Miley Cyrus emerged

I get that many people are against mainstream music, but I feel that Britney's music is commonly ridiculed when that of her contemporary artists is not. I don't expect people to respect her as an artist, after all that is not the image pushed by her label or even herself, and an aspect only stans know. I guess her team is partly to blame for not protecting/ promoting her legacy and letting the GP know what a significant part of pop music she is. 

Archived