Single number one

TakeYourHand

Was Overprottected to be the lead single?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I really think Overprottected was originally meant to be the debut single off of Britney. It has that extra wow factor that a typical first single has, and it follows very nicely after Oops as it continues the pop sound but has a little more depth and maturity. I also feel its a better representation of the album as a whole over Slave. Slave is definately a great song but I feel like that should have been for era four before ITZ. Basically Original Doll era. This song is soooo good. I'm sure it was Britney who wanted and fought for Slave. I wouldn't take it back any other way because Slave is a huge aspect of her career, but I do wonder if the album would have performed better with (what I believe) original lead single Overprottected. Guess we'll never know!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slave had that wow factor, that tropical beat that made it different from any other song at the time it cam out :likethat:

Also, if Overprotected was the first single, the same video would be released and Britney would have been the same Britney. It would have been like a stepdown from the hot DLMBTLTK.:yaknow: But Slave started an era with the video that changed Britney's image as the innocent girl COMPLETELY. It would be a step up from where Oops left off. It generated controversy, which helped the album sales :bigtime: And the VMA performance of Overprotected would have been mediocre. 

So no, I'm A Slave 4 U was the best lead Britney album could have asked for.

Are you asking or suggesting?

Overprotected was meant for the Crossroads soundtrack. And Jive decided to make her album the soundtrack and the album because they were cheap. And they didn’t want her to completely abandon her bubble gum pop sound she was known for, in fear it would alienate her younger fan base. 

Archived