[Update: Results are in] Overall Album Evaluation- Britney Jean

How would you rate Britney's eighth album?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the overall sound of the album, on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest

• 1 ⭐️
    • 2 ⭐️⭐️
    • 3 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
    • 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
    • 5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
  2. 2. Rate the physical outlook of the album, on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest

• 1 ⭐️
    • 2 ⭐️⭐️
    • 3 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
    • 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    • 5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
  3. 3. Pick your top 3 favourite songs from the album (Only 3)

• Alien
    • Work Bitch
    • Perfume
    • It Should Be Easy ft. will.i.am
    • Tik Tik Boom ft. T.I
    • Body Ache
    • Til It's Gone
    • Passenger
    • Chillin' With You ft. Jamie Lynn Spears
    • Don't Cry
    • Brightest Morning Star
    • Hold On Tight
    • Now That I Found You

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/15/2019 at 02:30 AM

6 minutes ago, DayvinDazone said:

Wait so she doesn't sing "I try every night to turn the pitch, but daylight can confine me to a kitsch" ?? :orangu:

Myah had some weird vocal gymnastics before the recording sessions :jj:

But the important point here is that you know the lyrics to a song from Britney Jean :jj: Now that's something to think about.. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  1. Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it?      No, even if it was her voice in all the songs. I would have done: Til It's Gone, Work B, Hold On Tight, Alien 
  2. Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favorite?      Body Ache (-5)
  3. How do you think the album did lyrically?      Most songs lyrically were actually good (excluding TTB and BA) [4]
  4. Which is your favourite video from the album?    Work B (4.5)
  5. If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be?  Potential wasted, wasted potential

Overall sound:

Most of the songs sound like they have the potential to be good, but they are not. The album is filled with rushed, dated production. It was poorly marketed and the New York Times hit the nail on the head when it said "'Britney Jean' is about as personal as an airline preboarding announcement." There are a few good moments on the album, but even the most loyal Britney fans can tell that something is wrong.

Physical outlook:

Britney looks good in the photoshoot, but the front cover is similar in composition to Femme Fatale. The back cover of the album is an obvious rush job and looks terrible. The album booklet is a work of art but would be more appropriate for a greatest hits compilation. Considering what it is paired with, it comes across as calculated and ingenuine. 

Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it?

No. Work ***** has very few actual Britney vocals and because of this should never have been considered. Not only that, it's a confusing song to launch something marketed as "the most personal album ever". Stylistically, Work ***** is a cool, catchy song. But it's not Britney and should not have been released. Perfume, while totally Britney, is unfortunately a mediocre, plodding song in its single form. If it had to be released, the dreaming mix is much better. Don't Cry is the only song that would have been an appropriate single from the album. On any other Britney album, it would have been a solid album track, and not single material. Unfortunately on this album it's literally the only option. It is a decent song though; completely Britney and catchy as well. With its mature and lush production, Hold on Tight would have been the best song on the album had it been entirely Britney.

Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favorite?

Saying which song is the worst is difficult. Many of the songs sound unfinished and would be good if more work went into them. Body Ache is probably the most obvious example, but every song could have used more polish and production.

How do you think the album did lyrically? 

This is Britney's worst album lyrically overall. It has some of the stupidest, laziest songwriting I've ever heard on an album. "It should be easy, I don't know how else to say it", then why are you even writing that as a chorus? Come up with something smarter. Chillin With You has the cringey "I danced so much till I was tired" lyric, among others. Other songs are repetitive and drag on. Tik Tik Boom is a repetitive yet catchy song, but TI's unwelcome reference to domestic violence is unnecessary and especially out of place on a Britney Spears album. Passenger is one of the few lyrically strong songs on the album, but considering the situation comes off as completely ironic. Hold on Tight is good lyrically. Don't Cry isn't bad but could have used a third verse. Work ***** has decently written verses, but the song should have been structured differently. The lyrics become more annoying when you realize that the "Britney" who is telling you to work isn't really Britney herself.

Which is your favourite video from the album?

Work *****. Generally it's a good, classic Britney video and overall the visual is good. She looks beautiful, like she is enjoying herself, and the video warrants repeated viewings. However, Britney rushes through the dancing, failing to match the motions and synchronization of her backup dancers. Britney also fumbles some of the lyrics and the editing doesn't try to cover it up. 

If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be?

A deceptive, cheap attempt at an album, "Britney Jean" ultimately questions the intelligence and tolerance of her fans.

edit: I don't blame Britney for the quality of this album, considering her lack of ability to have control over it. :( Glory was much better.

Honestly, I love this album. Not my fave, but definetely not my least (#6).
Even though she's not the main singer on it, I still love it, still prefer this album than her first two or ITZ (aka my least fav).

Overall Sound : 3/5
Physical Outlook : 5/5 (L.O.V.E. it)

Work *****
Tik Tik Boom (without T.I though)
Hold on Tight / Don't Cry (double single)
Passenger
Alien

2. Worst song (even of her entire discography) is definetely "It Should be Easy" (
0.25/5).
The solo version is waaaaaaay more "listenable" (dunno if that word exist, I'm french lol)
Fave song : Alien (
5/5)
Body Ache : 2.5/5
Brightest Morning Star : 3.75/5
Chillin' With You : 3.5/5
Don't Cry : 4/5

Hold on Tight : 4.25/5
Now That I Found You : 2.75/5
Passenger : 4.75/5
Perfume : 3/5
Tik Tik Boom : 3.25/5
Til it's Gone : 2.75/5
Work ***** : 4.5/5

3/5

4. Fave video : Work ***** obviously, 5/5
Perfume MV : 3/5 (the original version would have slayed)

16 hours ago, DayvinDazone said:

5. If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be?

"Britney Jean had a lot of potential, but will.i.am's involvement in addition to Myah Marie assuming the lead vocalist role lead to its inevitable failure. With Britney literally pushed into the background, as her own voice gets drowned out by layers upon layers of auto-tuned noise - one can draw a clear parallel between Britney Jean, the album, and Britney's personal life in which moments when her real voice is truly heard are hard to come by."

I freakin love your reviews, always deep. :) 

9 hours ago, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

Posting the Glory evaluation now. Expect this evaluation to have a little more votes so I'm not calculating the results yet. Have fun and stay tuned :kiss:

OH MY GOD...

When I saw you already made the Glory evaluation, I was super scale that the results of this one were in, but glad,  that's not the caae. 

I'll try to finish my review by the afternoon today.

Also, it's kinda sad that this 'series' is coming to an end. :wontcry:

16 minutes ago, Shadow2003 said:

OH MY GOD...

When I saw you already made the Glory evaluation, I was super scale that the results of this one were in, but glad,  that's not the caae. 

Yeah! I hope this gets a little longer to be up! :)

On 5/12/2019 at 2:45 AM, Anticonformity said:

Well, basically a lil background (I've been a dancer/choreographer pretty much my entire life, like Britney is what inspired me legit)

I was diagnosed with Anorexia back in the first part of the decade and the recovery process has been hell (Anoreixa is THE deadliest mental illness, peeps with it are also 23X more likely to commit suicide than the rest of peeps) so when this album was coming out I was actually in the hospital for when Britney appeared on GMA to announce Vegas etc and so I watched that with sadness, seeing as here I am fighting this and in a hospital bed. So between Drs. and (not lawyers!) therapists I was not able to be fully "present" for the release, clearly my mind was elsewhere. Then it leaked at the end of November and I was in a dark place (I had restrictions placed on me, many tests (wearing a heart monitor for 24 hours to see how low my heartrate was getting, 28 BPM etc) intense therapy in and out of the office, etc) lyrically this album spoke to me and yes I know like "HOW DOES TIK TIK BOOM SPEAK TO" me during all this lol yeah it's not eveyr song but almost every single one did and particularly Now That I Found You which is why I now have "And You Don't Know How You Saved My Life" tattooed on my arm. 
ANyway, I was cutting, wanting to die, trying my hardest to "get better" etc and this album gave me hope...
The danceable songs (Work ***** (which actually became "You wanna recover? rediscover? you better work *****!), Body Ache, Til It's Gone, Tik Tik Boom etc...) were also the ones that gave me hope to get back to slaying the dancefloor/studio.
The verses in NTIFY were like OMG THAT'S ME and then Til It's Gone just hit my soul with "I try every night to turn the page, but daylight can confine me to a cage" which is exactly how recovery was/is.
Anyway, it got me through my roughest periods (having surgery :( ) etc and has been a staple in my life, like you have no idea.
I am in a better place now, I will always battle this disease and have suffered consequences because of it and have bad days, but between myself/family/dance/music (particularly this album) I have hope...

(The "you" in Now That I Found You, is actually myself, almost like a Girl In The Mirror story lol but it's true, I had to find out who I truly am to get to a place to "live my life... see the light... come alive...")

Wow! Your story is so moving and touching. I’m so glad this album helped you get through such a hard time, and I’m happy you are here with us today to share your thoughts and opinions. I hope you are in a better place in your life today. Just know that I love you, my fellow Britney Army member and you can message me personally if you ever want to talk. :hugs:

I agree with what you said about how fans can be so cruel about personal opinions regarding albums, songs, etc. They act as if though your opinion is invalid if it’s not a popular opinion, but we are all entitled to like or dislike whatever we want. I personally love Britney Jean way more than FF, and have played it way more than FF. 

So, did Britney really autograph those copies of Britney Jean for you? What’s the story behind that? Did you get to meet the Queen herself? :)

10 hours ago, Shadow2003 said:

OH MY GOD...

@Shadow2003 You done with the reviews hun? I have to publish the results anytime now :orly:

This has been discussed at length but I genuinely just think they ran out of time and completely rushed the album rather than taking any time on it. Vegas was looming and they had to have an album hence why Myah Marie probably featured on most of the album.

Songs like Hold on Tight, Alien, Perfume, Brightest Morning Star and Work ***** I liked but it would have been nice for Britney to have written for the album given it was supposed to be her most personal yet (bullshit).

The results are in. Thank you to everyone who voted and special appreciation for those who cared to comment their reviews. :kisses2all:

Here's the direct link to the Glory Evaluation. Be sure to vote:

btw if anyone wanted to compare the scores with BOMT, OIDIA, Britney, ITZ, Blackout, Circus or Femme Fatale scores, here are the links:

18 hours ago, PrinceAli89 said:

Wow! Your story is so moving and touching. I’m so glad this album helped you get through such a hard time, and I’m happy you are here with us today to share your thoughts and opinions. I hope you are in a better place in your life today. Just know that I love you, my fellow Britney Army member and you can message me personally if you ever want to talk. :hugs:

I agree with what you said about how fans can be so cruel about personal opinions regarding albums, songs, etc. They act as if though your opinion is invalid if it’s not a popular opinion, but we are all entitled to like or dislike whatever we want. I personally love Britney Jean way more than FF, and have played it way more than FF. 

So, did Britney really autograph those copies of Britney Jean for you? What’s the story behind that? Did you get to meet the Queen herself? :)

Well damn! Thank you! This made my day and was completely unexpected (especially with this base)

:hugs:

I will message you! :)

10 hours ago, Anticonformity said:

Well damn! Thank you! This made my day and was completely unexpected (especially with this base)

:hugs:

I will message you! :)

you're being a tad bit too sensitive.. I've barely ever seen anyone genuinely trash someone on Exhale for their opinions on music.. it's all just overexaggerated stan language that isn't meant to be serious.. gays being dramatic and talking in extremes, what's new.. :akii: "Britney Jean" is an exception though because it is objectively bad while the rest of her discography is completely subjective.. :holduplisten: 

I have plenty of unpopular opinions myself that are considered even more blasphemous than liking "Britney Jean" (I don't like "Toxic") and I've been very vocal about that yet I've never had any problems.. :brit2016:

not sure what you meant with the whole "don't be surprised when someone commits suicide" either.. I mean, c'mon, if someone considers killing themselves because someone trashed them for their opinions then they CLEARLY have bigger problems.. :lostney:

on another note though, I'm glad you're in a better place now and I'm glad that you've been able to find solace, hope and peace in a body of work that speaks to your soul because that's such a beautiful thing.. I have plenty of albums that hold a really special place in my heart too and seeing other people have a connection like that makes me genuinely happy.. :)

put on some perfume, hold on tight, don't cry and keep dancing till your body ache.. if you're ever feeling down, make the pain tik tik boom til it's gone.. :bsass:

Archived