[Update: Results are in] Overall Album Evaluation- Femme Fatale

How would you rate Britney's seventh album?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the overall sound of the album, on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest

• 1 ⭐️
    • 2 ⭐️⭐️
    • 3 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
    • 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    • 5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
  2. 2. Rate the physical outlook of the album, on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest

• 1 ⭐️
    • 2 ⭐️⭐️
    • 3 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
    • 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    • 5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
  3. 3. Pick your top 3 favourite songs from the album (Only 3)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/15/2019 at 02:45 AM

Overall Album Evaluation - Femme Fatale ⚜️

Hey everyone! 

To evaluate the overall ranking of Britney's seventh album, I request you to participate in this poll. Just choose an answer for each category of questions and the final results will be posted once a specific number of members have voted. 

In addition to voting, I request you to also engage in answering the following questions:

1. Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it?
  2. Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favorite? Rate them on a scale of 1 to 5
  3. How do you think the album did lyrically? Rate on a scale of 1 to 5
  4. Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5
  5. If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be?

Note: The third category in the poll is multiple-choice, Vote any 3

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRH2cG_B_VBXFnM_79eaAyimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLdfRau30vhdIQRsE4tRqb-spears_02-bathroom1_0198.jpggl_4ea9d59c-d95c-4447-8ecf-2b7a0a7a1917.max1318293843-back-cover.jpg4w7B.gif

UPDATE

The results are in, click on the spoiler below to view them:

Based on 64 votes, these are the ratings of the album:

•  Overall sound of the album - 3.9 / 5
  • Physical outlook of the album - 3.6 / 5

Top 3 songs of the album: 

1. Hold It Against Me - 47% voters (30 votes)
  2. Till The World Ends - 44% voters (28 votes)
  3. Up 'N Down = He About To Lose Me - 28% voters (18 votes)

Based on the answers recieved from 13 members,

1. 8 members answered that they agreed with the single choices. The changes brought forth were the inclusion of Inside Out as a single in place of Criminal. Up 'N Down is also voted to have been a good single choice.
  2. 5 members voted Big Fat Bass as the worst song from the album. The song received an average score of 1.4 / 5. (Drop Dead) Beautiful came in second with 3 votes.
  3. The album received a lyrucal average of 2.8 / 5.
  4. 9 members voted Hold It Against Me as the best video from the era - 4.6 / 5.
  5. Most upvoted review by @DayvinDazone

Femme Fatale sees Britney join the other leading Queens of electropop at the cost of her own identity. One has to wonder, is commercial success worth losing one's soul?"

Final Verdict: Above Average

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  1. Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it? - I think HIAM and TTWE were good singles for the time, but I'm not a fan of Criminal or I Wanna Go. I think Up n Down would have made a good single and I also wouldn't mind if Scary was a single, I'm listening to it right now for the first time in ages and I didn't realise how good it is.
  2. Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favourite? Rate them on a scale of 1 to 5 - Selfish (rating 2/5).
  3. How do you think the album did lyrically? Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 - rating 2/5.
  4. Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5 - HIAM (rating 3.5/5) because it had the best concept. I Wanna Go is a close second because she looked like she had fun and tried out a different look.
  5. If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be? - Britney has taken on an electropop sound, so don't keep her waiting, listen now!

Sound: 4/5

FF is a very solid pop record but not all of it is Britney-esque. It’s got bangers, the production is very clean and it’s got hooks for days. 

Physical outlook: 3.5/5 

Britney looks beautiful in the shoot but overall, I don’t love the cover or the brightness of the shots. It’s just eh for me. 

My favourites are TTWE, Selfish and HATLM.

Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it?

Yes the singles were all obvious choices but I still think inside out should have been released before criminal. 

Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favorite? Rate them on a scale of 1 to 5

Probably (drop dead) beautiful. The sabi rap is unlistenable and she sounds like she was forced to record it in the midst of a head cold. 

How do you think the album did lyrically? Rate on a scale of 1 to 5

3/5. There is a few cringe moments in the lyrics, kinda corny at times. It’s tonnes of slutty bops and club tracks. Nothing deep.

Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5

HIAM 4/5 because the storyline is one of her best imo. She looked really beautiful in the video and, whether intentional or not, seems personal given it’s a rare time they’ve acknowledged her history. 

If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be?

A very adequate pop album for the time that even had influence on the upcoming elements of pop music, but not distinctly a Britney album. And although Britney’s voice does lend itself to vocal effects in an edm setting, this album suffers for the lack of classic Britney vocals of previous albums. 

1. Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it? I think yes.
  2. Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favorite? Rate them on a scale of 1 to 5. “(Drop Dead) Beautiful” 3/5
  3. How do you think the album did lyrically? Rate on a scale of 1 to 5. 3/5
  4. Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5. “Hold It Against Me”. I like the story in this video. 

Sound: 3/5

Physical Outlook: 4/5

Singles: considering "Hold It Against Me" went #1, it'd be weird to be against that single choice BUT here's how I would have done the singles had I been in charge of selecting them.

1. Till The World Ends (most generic song first)
  2. I Wanna Go
  3. Up 'n' Down (not my favorite but super radio friendly)
  4. almost half the album is single worthy so for 4th single they could have gone with either "Trouble For Me", "Selfish" or "Gasoline"
  5. Inside Out (as always the final single slowing it down a bit but not to the point "Criminal" did because that's not what the era was about IMO)

Worst Song: I wanted to say "Hold It Against Me" because I hate it but then "Drop Dead (Vegetables)" popped into my head and I changed my mind. The song is a 2/5. "Big Fat Bass" could also take this spot.

Lyrics: once again, no opinion, I'd have to relisten to the whole thing to judge but with "Big Fat Bass" and "Drop Dead (Vegetables)" in mind, probably not that great.

Video: "I Wanna Go". She looked flawless, the Avril Lavigne vibe she had going on worked so well and the video in general was just fun as ****. The milk thing was too random for me but the rest is flawless so I'm giving it a 4,5/5.

Short Review: A collection of single worthy dance bops plagued by awful (but kinda appropriate) vocal production and some unnecessarily trashy club music cliches to the point of grotesque.

To further expand on my short review: I have nothing against dance or club music but as with any type of music you can do it in an original and classy way or you can do it by playing into cliches and tropes which is literally what will.i.am's whole solo career is based on. It's just kinda laughable and makes you roll your eyes, y'know?! :britstare11:

Anyway, I like improving albums by editing tracklists and I want to do it for "Femme Fatale" too so here goes. The album could have been a 5/5 had the track list been this (YAY SPOILERS ARE BACK) (this time I also changed the order of the songs):

Spoiler
  1. I Wanna Go
  2. Up 'n' Down
  3. Selfish
  4. Trouble For Me
  5. Hold It Against Me (I hate it but it fits into the album and era too well)
  6. Seal It With A Kiss
  7. How I Roll (no idea where to put this song, I love it so I didn't scrap it but it's so out of place)
  8. Trip To Your Heart
  9. He About To Lose Me (terrible vocal production / layering in the chorus, not sure why the BG singer is singing lead)
  10. Criminal
  11. Inside Out
  12. Gasoline
  13. Till the World Ends (perfect ender, POM says hi)

Scrapped Songs: Big Fat Bass, Drop Dead (Vegetables), Don't Keep Me Waiting

:brit2016:

Yes, except single 4. I'd have chosen Up n' Down instead.

Least fav : Big Fat Bass (0.25/5)
Favorite Song : Up n' Down (5/5)

(Drop Dead) Beautiful : 0.5/5
Criminal : 2.75/5
Don't Keep me Waiting : 4.25/5
Gasoline : 3.75/5
He About to Lose me : 4/5
Hold it Against Me : 4.5/5
How I Roll : 3.25/5
I Wanna Go : 3/5
Inside Out : 2.5/5
Scary : 3.75/5
Seal it With a Kiss : 3.25/5
Selfish : 3.5/5
Till the World Ends : 4.75/5
Trouble for Me : 3.75/5

3/5

Best MV : Hold it Against Me (5/5)
Till the World Ends : 4.25/5
I Wanna Go : 3.5/5
Criminal : 2.75/5

Overall sound: 5/5

Physical outlook: 4/5, although I'd give it a 4.5/4.8. I'm not sure what it is but I think it's the album cover that kinda brought my score down for this one. The album photoshoot was still pretty good though. It just wasn't as good as the photoshoots for Britney's previous albums I guess.

Top 3 songs: I Wanna Go, Criminal, Up N Down

1. Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it? - YES!!! I was fine with the singles. Hold It Against Me was the perfect lead single, Till the World Ends was an amazing second single and a classic, I Wanna Go was so catchy and radio friendly and I was so happy it was the 3rd single. Criminal showed a different side of Britney to the GP and I voted for it to be the 4th single in the Facebook poll and was happy in the end it was chosen. But I was so disappointed that it flopped though. Having said that, Inside Out or Up N Down both would have made a nice additional 5th single for the album (the album was originally supposed to have 5 singles).
  2. Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favorite? Rate them on a scale of 1 to 5 - Big Fat Bass, 1/5. Plods along and is really just a big fat MESS of a song, just awful. Big Fat Bass isn't a very good song title either. I actually prefer It Should Be Easy!
  3. How do you think the album did lyrically? Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 - 3.5. The lyrics on this album weren't actually as good as Britney's previous albums, mainly because this is more of a dance album and most of the lyrics are about love and partying. This is also reflected in the songwriting and the fact that Britney only co-wrote one song on the album (Scary). However, I think I Wanna Go and Criminal were both well written.
  4. Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5 - I Wanna Go, 4.8/5. I remember at first I was disappointed it wasn't a dance video/a video that involved choreography, but overtime I came to appreciate it and it is now my fave video from the era. And Britney's look in the video with the Mickey Mouse t-shirt/pink highlights in her hair is ICONIC!
  5. If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be? - An uptempo dance album full of bops, bops and bops, as well as a few midtempos and literally no ballads. You'll love this album if you're into club/dance music and need something to listen to when you get ready for a night out. My only criticism of this album is the album cover and the lyrics aren't as good as Britney's previous albums, but this is still a very strong dance-pop record and a great carefree listen. The album is responsible for three top 10 hits (one being a #1!) on the Billboard Hot 100.

Overall sound: ★★★★☆

Physical Look: ★★★☆☆

The photoshoot was pretty, but kinda boring, and I don't really see how the theme of Femme Fatale fit throughout the album musically or lyrically or most of the photoshoot.

Favorite Songs:

1. He About to Lose Me
  2. Till the World Ends
  3. Criminal

1. Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it?

Yes, but I would've added Inside Out in between I Wanna Go and Criminal (so it'd be HIAM -> TTWE ->  IWG -> Inside Out -> Criminal)

2. Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favorite? Rate them on a scale of 1 to 5

Don't Keep Me Waiting (1.5-2/5). It's not awful, but not particularly good either.

3. How do you think the album did lyrically? Rate on a scale of 1 to 5

I'm not the best judge of lyrics because I tend to not pay attention to them that much, but I'd say a 2/5. Okay. Nothing that stands out or that thought-provoking or noticeably great. There are definitely some cringey lyrics and they're generally very shallow which is why it's on the lower end of the scale.

4. Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5

Till the World Ends. Maybe 3.5-4/5. I like it. The production value is high. It's well done. Britney looks good. It's fun and has a cool theme. Comparing to the other videos, HIAM has a cool concept but it gives me bad/weird vibes and Britney looks miserable during it. IWG is too childish for me to like. Criminal is boring imo.

5. If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be?

It's a really good happy album for when you want to dance, have fun, and for summer, and it's impressively cohesive. However, the lyrics are super shallow and cringey at times, the vocals are super processed (which isn't distracting since it works with the sound of the album, but combined with the shallow lyrics, it's very emotionless and sterile), and it definitely sounds dated.

1. Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it? - i think i have made it clear in my posts that i stan Inside Out so i'm picking it as the 4th. a possible 5th single perhaps would be How I Roll or HATLM
  2. Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favorite? Rate them on a scale of 1 to 5 - Big Fat Bass 1/5 because ****.i.am
  3. How do you think the album did lyrically? Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 - 3. every song is like a copy of one another, rephrased/paraphrased. generally the mood is just about dancing and it didn't help that FFney danced like that :jj:
  4. Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5 - HIAM maybe a 4 because those product placements are really blatant
  5. If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be? - The generic album full of hits that helped Britney stay alive in the pop scene despite her obvious shortcomings as an artist.
  • Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it?  
    Yes, only Criminal shouldn't have been a single (if we are talking about wanting chart/sales success).

• Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favorite? Rate them on a scale of 1 to 5   
    Till The World Ends.

• How do you think the album did lyrically? Rate on a scale of 1 to 5  
  • 3.5? I am not much of a fan of lyrics.

• Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5       
    She had most fun and looked best in IWG but HIAM had the best idea.

• If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be?
    "Radio Perfection"

Archived