[Update: Results are in] Overall Album Evaluation- Circus

How would you rate Britney's sixth album?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the overall sound of the album, on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest

• 1 ⭐️
    • 2 ⭐️⭐️
    • 3 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
    • 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    • 5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
  2. 2. Rate the physical outlook of the album, on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest

• 1 ⭐️
    • 2 ⭐️⭐️
    • 3 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
    • 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    • 5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
  3. 3. Pick your top 3 favourite songs from the album (Only 3)

This poll is closed to new votes

Overall Album Evaluation- Circus ?

Hey everyone! 

To evaluate the overall ranking of Britney's sixth album, I request you to participate in this poll. Just choose an answer for each category of questions and the final results will be posted once a specific number of members have voted. 

In addition to voting, I request you to also engage in answering the following questions:

1. Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it? {Radar included}
  2. Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favourite? Rate them on a scale of 1 to 5 {Radar excluded}
  3. How do you think the album did lyrically? Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 {Radar excluded}
  4. Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5 {Radar included}
  5. If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be?

Note: The third category in the poll is multiple-choice, Vote any 3

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRT8FYv8B1J9_NE_2TCkuGimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5OQsIIerQaI7rUcG6SJgJapan+Circus+3.png1547774960?v=1images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQ6x2MM7CiVIsUf_MYY9Ngiphy.gif

*Radar has been excluded from the poll and from some questions in the questionnaire as it was already accounted for in the Blackout evaluation

UPDATE

The results are in, click on the spoiler below to view them:

Spoiler

Based on 80 votes, these are the ratings of the album:

•  Overall sound of the album - 3.7 / 5
  • Physical outlook of the album - 4.1 / 5

Top 3 songs of the album: 

1. Unusual You - 45% voters (36 votes)
  2. Womanizer - 42% voters (34 votes)
  3. Circus - 38% voters (30 votes)

Based on the answers recieved from 12 members,

1. 9 voters agree that Radar shouldn't have been a single from the album. 5 voters say that Unusual You would have made a good single at some point.
  2. My Baby was voted the worst song of the album and received a score of 1.4 / 5. Mmm Papi came in second place.
  3. The album received a lyrical average of 3.5 / 5.
  4. 6 voters voted Womanizer as the best video from the era and received a perfect score of 5 / 5.
  5. Most upvoted review by @DayvinDazone

Circus marks Britney's comeback into the entertainment world and poses the question: does Britney see her life as a literal circus or is she metaphorically the ringleader calling the shots behind the scenes? One doesn't get a clear answer

Final Verdict: Above Average

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Copying and pasting from the first thread :orangu: 

Overall sound: 4/5

Physical outlook: 5/5

Top 3 songs: Circus, Unusual You, Blur

1. Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it? First three singles were fine but Radar shouldn't have been released. Unusual You should have been the 4th single instead. Kill the Lights also would have made a good single choice.
  2. Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favourite? Rate them on a scale of 1 to 5 - Mmm Papi. Can I give it a zero? :mcorangu: okay I'll give it a 1/5. I've never really liked that song. It's annoying. 
  3. How do you think the album did lyrically? Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 - 4.5/5, lyrics are improved over Blackout tbh, quite a lot of songs with good meaning/concept behind them such as Circus, Kill the Lights and Mannequin.
  4. Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5 - Womanizer 4.8/5. Iconic and I love all of the disguises in it. 
  5. If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be? - In comparison to Blackout (Britney's previous album) the material on this is not as 'dark' and the album is more pure pop sounding. Considered to be Britney's 'comeback' album, the album consists of some great pop songs and an introspective of Britney's career in songs such as the album's title track. Not as strong as some of her other albums but still a decent listen. (I found this review quite hard to write tbh, I wasn't really sure what to say about this album as it's not really as outstanding as some of her other albums??)

Sound: 4/5 (more like a 3.5 but that's not an option)

Physical Outlook (what do you mean by this, visuals or something??): 5/5 (if I understood correctly)

Top 3: "Circus", "Unusual You", "Quicksand" (the 3rd one changes all the time)

Singles: everything was done perfectly minus "Radar", should have given up on that sh*tty pile of hot garbage

Worst Song: "Mmm Papi" (2/5 - it's kinda fun and kinda catchy but it's not something THE Britney Spears should have released, it's on the level of something you'd find in Trisha Paytas' discography)

Lyrics: no idea, I'd have to relisten to every song in order to judge

Favorite Video: typically I'd say "Circus" but I feel like perhaps that's just because I like the song WAAAY more than "Womanizer" but objectively the "Womanizer" MV is better

Short Review: a wide range of 00s pop goodness plagued by incohesiveness and odd tracklist choices

to elaborate on the tracklist thing, the album could have been a 5/5 had the tracklist been this:

Spoiler
  1. Womanizer
  2. Circus
  3. Kill the Lights
  4. Shattered Glass
  5. If U Seek Amy
  6. Unusual You
  7. Blur
  8. Mannequin
  9. Lace and Leather
  10. Phonography
  11. Trouble
  12. Quicksand

I actually kinda like both of the ballads (especially "Out from Under") but they were completely unnecessary and redundant.. "Out from Under" placed #3.. "My Baby" placed after "LACE AND ******* LEATHER", WTF, MAKE IT MAKE SENSE.. :zoomzoom: I also can't get over the fact that "Out from Under" is a Bratz Doll movie soundtrack reject.. :demi:

Just now, I Always Sing Live said:

Sound: 4/5 (more like a 3.5 but that's not an option)

Physical Outlook (what do you mean by this, visuals or something??): 5/5 (if I understood correctly)

Top 3: "Circus", "Unusual You", "Quicksand" (the 3rd one changes all the time)

Singles: everything was done perfectly minus "Radar", should have given up on that sh*tty pile of hot garbage

Worst Song: "Mmm Papi" (2/5 - it's kinda fun and kinda catchy but it's not something THE Britney Spears should have released, it's on the level of something you'd find in Trisha Paytas' discography)

Lyrics: no idea, I'd have to relisten to every song in order to judge

Favorite Video: typically I'd say "Circus" but I feel like perhaps that's just because I like the song WAAAY more than "Womanizer" but objectively the "Womanizer" MV is better

Short Review: a wide range of 00s pop goodness plagued by incohesiveness and odd tracklist choices

to elaborate on the tracklist thing, the album could have been a 5/5 had the tracklist been this:

Reveal hidden contents
  1. Womanizer
  2. Circus
  3. Kill the Lights
  4. Shattered Glass
  5. If U Seek Amy
  6. Unusual You
  7. Blur
  8. Mannequin
  9. Lace and Leather
  10. Phonography
  11. Trouble
  12. Quicksand

I actually kinda like both of the ballads (especially "Out from Under") but they were completely unnecessary and redundant.. "Out from Under" placed #3.. "My Baby" placed after "LACE AND ******* LEATHER", WTF, MAKE IT MAKE SENSE.. :zoomzoom: I also can't get over the fact that "Out from Under" is a Bratz Doll movie soundtrack reject.. :demi:

By physical outlook, I mean the album cover, booklet, disc etc. Music videos not included. It si enclosed in the spoiler in the OP.

Thank you for the review, and I completely agree with your remarks on the tracklist :kiss:

1. Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it? {Radar included}
    I think they were apt but having Out from under as a single would have been great for the GP and then Mannequin
    In my personnal taste I would have choosed:
    1st - Circus
    2nd - Mannequin
    3rd - Out from under
    4th - If U Seek Amy
    5th - Womanizer

2. Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favourite? Rate them on a scale of 1 to 5 {Radar excluded}
    My least favorite is My Baby because I don't have kids so I can't relate and her voice is far too high. I give it a 1/5

3. How do you think the album did lyrically? Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 {Radar excluded}
    3/5, it has great songs with great themes but overall the writing is not mindblowing. (with the execption of If U Seek Amy.)

4. Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5 {Radar included}
    My favorite video is If U Seek Amy, she looks awesome, and I love the inside vs outside thing. 4/5

Britney's revival in the GP eye. The album is very good and classic. It's not outstanding like ITZ or BO but it's a very good pop record, very light and very fun. Very colorfull. 

Sound - 3.5/5 

A lot of the circus album doesn’t sound finished to me and seems rushed leaving a demo feel about the album.

Physical outlook - 5/5

She looked so gorgeous throughout the circus era. A peak in her beauty for sure. 

Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it? {Radar included}

It’s hard to argue with the singles given Womanizer was her first number 1 since BOMT, circus was top 10 and IUSA was a hit too given its controversy. Radar should have stayed on blackout and balladney should have returned for the 4th single being Unusual You. It might not have slayed the charts but it would have been something different for her.

Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favourite? Rate them on a scale of 1 to 5 {Radar excluded}

Look, it’s my baby. I get that Britney wrote it and it means something and whatever, but I just can’t bop to it, ya know. Mmm Papi is a close second as it borders on unlistenable. 

How do you think the album did lyrically? Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 {Radar excluded}

3.5/5. Like most Britney albums, the lyrics aren’t revolutionary or anything. Themes revolve around ***, love and relationships which are all common. 

Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5 {Radar included}

Circus. She looks SO ******* GOOD at the beginning putting on her earrings and promoting her perfumes. Like stunning. And she looks great the whole video. Plus the video is quite entertaining with the dark circus vibe, I think it fit the sound really well. But the others sans radar are good too. Circus era was a return to form of sorts for Britney MVs. 

If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be?

Still worth a listen, although Circus isn’t a departure from a previous sound nor a step forward. This album had a job to do, damage control and for that, it is a success even if a little unpolished. 

Circus sits somewhere in the middle of Britney albums for me. It has some great bops and her voice is beautiful throughout. And it gave us Amnesia which is still one of my all time favourite Britney tracks. Queen comes through with bonus tracks better than the standard track list on the regular. 

Album is a 4/5. I've always liked Circus.

Physical outlook is a f**king 5. I think Circus was her beauty peak. She has matured and she looked unbelievably fantastic.

Circus, Blur and Unusual You are my Top 3 Circus songs and probably also up there.

58 minutes ago, DayvinDazone said:

Circus.... aka the "official comeback" album. Only two more album evaluations until Brendons Jeans :jj:

OVERALL SOUND :  ✮✮✮✮

Circus was (until Glory came out) probably the last album from Miss American Dream since she was 17 that was sonically exciting... With every album after Circus, Britney's gotten progressively more artificial and lifeless. All the weird unusual bops we've come to expect from Brinny like Mannequin or If U Seek Amy were eventually replaced by made-for-the-radio quick hit singles that could've been released by any other pop star. Circus is the last album that sounds like classic Britney in a way, and yet it's also her official return into the spotlight. Having said that, you can see some foreshadowing of what's to come in terms of her future music releases - from the prevalence of auto-tune (which is employed on Circus to a much larger degree than on any of the albums that came before) to Dr. Luke's involvement in her music. I definitely prefer the portion of the album produced by Danja, but the other tracks are nonetheless very solid songs in their own right. It's just that I like to think of Circus as the light counterpart to Blackout and Danja's direction just makes more sense to me than the poppy tunes Dr. Luke brought to the table. I also love all the bonus tracks (Rock Me In, Phonography, Trouble, Rock Boy, Amnesia & Quicksand).

The only reason why I'm giving Circus 4 stars instead of 5 is because unlike In the Zone and Blackout - there ARE filler tracks on the standard edition of Circus and that's unacceptable.

PHYSICAL OUTLOOK :  ✮✮✮✮✮

I love the booklet and Britney looks absolutely stunning. The over-the-top airbrushing gives the photos almost paint-like quality that evokes the atmosphere of old circus posters painted by hand. The visuals are top notch and completely in agreement with the main theme of the album.

3 FAVORITE SONGS FROM THE ALBUM :

1. Mannequin
  2. Blur
  3. If U Seek Amy

1. Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it?

NO.

Radar shouldn't have been released as the fourth single.

Mannequin should've been the official fourth single. I would also like to release either Unusual You or Blur as the fifth and final single, but something tells me that four singles for the Circus era was more than enough.

2. Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favourite? Rate them on a scale of 1 to 5

My Baby. I love the song for the fact that she wrote it and it's personal to her, but it's an instant skip for me. 1/5

Honorary mentions:

1) Radar. It's a waste of space that could've been taken up by some of the amazing bonus tracks.

2) Out from Under. I don't like OFU because it's a cover of a song that had been previously released by a different artist and it's basically the same exact version as the original. The only difference is that Britney re-recorded the song. It sounds vaguely similar to the much superior Someday (I Will Understand) and therefore it's a waste of space imo.

3) Mmm Papi. Mmm Papi is to Circus what What You Need is to Glory. Both songs are co-written by Britney herself, and I can totally see her saying they are her favorite songs. :jj: Well, bless Brinny's heart, obviously she had a blast in the studio since she really experimented with the vocals and that fact alone kinda gives Mmm Papi (and What You Need) a redeeming quality.

3. How do you think the album did lyrically? Rate on a scale of 1 to 5

I thought the If U Seek Amy hidden message was quite funny and clever and very Brinny, the rest of the songs I'm not sure about... i think Circus is a standard pop album. 3/5

4. Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5

If U Seek Amy. 5/5. I love the narrative, the plot twist, how it pokes fun at American media... it's very interesting and intricate.

"Circus marks Britney's comeback into the entertainment world and poses the question: does Britney see her life as a literal circus or is she metaphorically the ringleader calling the shots behind the scenes? One doesn't get a clear answer."

Girl stahp. Your posts literally make me die everytime. Those try hard exhalers need to learn from you what funny is. God bless you :tysm:

For me, circus is like the kind of guy that I used to F a lot but somehow someone better showed up in my life, however, even when I'm on this new relationship, I go back to circus every once in a while cuz F-ing is so amazing just like the first time. Now I'm on a formal relationship (Britney Jean) and everything is falling apart. 

1. Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it? (Radar included)

Yes and no... I think for “the comeback” these songs were correct to get the general public interested again. They were all great for radio and played into the Britney brand (sassy, ****, fun, and great to dance to). As a lifelong fan though, I would have to say that there were way better songs to showcase Britney than what was chosen. I think Circus was definitely necessary to stage the whole era. I think Kill The Lights would have been a great choice. Obviously a Blackout reject, but the song gave that dark and intriguing feeling like Piece of Me that the public craved. Then a slower song should have been released like Unusual You or Blur. Finally ending the era with Mannequin (even though I’m fine with If U Seek Amy and live for that song). Like I said in my last album review, Radar was great for Blackout and should have stayed there. That’s all I’m going to say about that damn song. 

2. Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favourite? Rate them on a scale of 1 to 5 (Radar excluded)

Easily My Baby (2/5). I think I’ve listened to the song in it's entirety maybe twice. It’s a beautiful song, obviously with a lot of meaning behind it, but I really just can’t stand it. 

3. How do you think the album did lyrically? Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 (Radar excluded)

I’ll give Circus a nice 4/5 lyrically. There was a wide variety of song styles with pretty solid lyrics. Brit gave us slower “ballads” like Out From Under, Unusual You, Blur, and My Baby. There were more up-beat songs with playful but clever lyrics like Kill The Lights, If U Seek Amy, even Phonography. And of course we got your typical Britney songs without much meaning, but overall I think Circus was quite a well rounded album. 

4. Which is your favorite video from then album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5 (Radar included)

This is a tough one because I think all of the videos had something different about them that made them great. Womanizer had the story line, Circus had the stunning visuals, and If U Seek Amy had that controversial Britney factor to it. Since we’re going on video and not song, I would have to say Circus is my favorite with a 4.5/5 (IUSA is my favorite single though). The video was stunning and Britney looked gorgeous. The sceen with the firework waterfall behind her... simply beautiful! Again, I’m leaving Radar where she belongs. Sorry not sorry. 

Circus: the official “comeback” album to the general public, but to her fans, who knew she was here all along, it was the album that proved that she was still legendary, still iconic, and not going anywhere. Sadly, it seems to be the last album/tour that Britney put her all into (heart, dedication, passion, etc) until 2016ney jumped out.  :tehe:

1. Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it? {Radar included} Radar should have been Blackout’s single. 
  2. Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favourite? Rate them on a scale of 1 to 5 {Radar excluded} Rock Boy, 1/5
  3. How do you think the album did lyrically? Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 {Radar excluded} 4/5
  4. Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5 {Radar included} Womanizer, 5/5

1. Nah. Radar shouldn't have been a single in any album. Unusual You should've been the 4th single. Womanizer, Circus and If U Seek Amy were right. Lace and Leather or Shattered Glass (if finished) could've even been a 5th single. The album was successful enough to get 5, Radar stalled the momentum.

2. Rock Boy. I always forget it exists, 2/5.

3. Lyrically it's not great. It tries to be Blackout but it's not. But it's serviceable, 3/5.

4. Womanizer. It was campy, fun, interesting, there was dancing and costumes, basically now a classic Britney video. 5/5

5. It sounds very much almost unfinished and forced. Shattered Glass ends awkwardly, Trouble and Quicksand never seem to land. Other tracks feel weird, like they lack a punch or impact. The album was recorded and finished so quickly to cash in on a come back, but it's still enjoyable mostly. It feels like a very sanitised version of the Blackout sound, where that was gritty and dark and edgy, this is "fun" but doesn't shine as a whole.

Yes, the first three.
Radar shouldn't have been on Circus nor a single. 
4th single should have been Mannequin & Kill The Lights and then Trouble & Lace and Leather as 5th.

Least favorite : I'd say My Baby & Mmm Papi
(2/5) even if I like those songs.
Favorite song : Circus (5/5)
Amnesia : 3.5/5
Blur : 4/5
If U Seek Amy : 4.65/5
Kill the Lights : 4.5/5
Mannequin : 3/5
Out From Under : 4.85/5
Phonography : 4.25/5
Quicksand : 2.25/5
Rock Boy : 2.5/5
Rock me in : 2.75/5
Shattered Glass : 3.75/5
Trouble : 4.75/5
Unusual You : 3.25/5

3.5/5

Circus, obviously : 5/5
If U Seek Amy : 4.75/5
Womanizer : 4.25/5

1. Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it? {Radar included} - 4th single - Blur, 5th single - Trouble/Amnesia :demi:
  2. Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favourite? Rate them on a scale of 1 to 5 {Radar excluded} - My Baboon :trash:
  3. How do you think the album did lyrically? Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 {Radar excluded} - 4. lyrically she was embracing her role as the main pop girl, addressing her comeback. (her performances showed otherwise though)
  4. Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5 {Radar included} - Womanizer
  5. If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be? - The album that made her the Queen of Comebacks :pieceofwhat: Although I am pretty upset about the fact that they messed up the track listing big time, with some of the best tracks relegated to bonus tracks. I'm thankful for this album but in retrospect, this should have never happened. :kidcries:

Questionnaire________________________________________________________________________________

1. I think the single choices are mixed:

• "Womanizer" is a very catchy, great song that fit in with popular music back in 2008 while also not being generic. Amazing choice for a first single. Let's not forget that perfect and iconic video!
  • "Circus" is one of my favourite Britney songs of all time - great production, great video, great performances, great gowns, beautiful gowns (:jj:).

And then things get worse...

• "If U Seek Amy" is pure GARBAGE, but more on that in question #2.
  • Finally, "Radar", as I said in my Blackout evaluation, should've been released in that era. I imagine that it would've had a video where Britney plays a stalker, following a guy throughout a city. Some shots taken with a cellphone would also appear.

I would replace "If U Seek Amy" with "Shattered Glass" and "Radar" with "Blur".

2. The worst song on Circus is definitely "If U Seek Amy" - its production is harsh and obnoxious, the lyrics make so little sense it can be represented as a negative number (if the title is meant to be a pun or something, then the verses, which talk about Amy being a real person and the subject of this song, become useless). At least the performances were decent, but this track is a bag filled with trash.

Rating: 0.05 / 5

3. Lyrically, the album is better than Blackout and does speak about some more interesting / different topics, like:

• being hungover ("Blur")
  • comparing the life of a pop star to that of a circus performer (the title track)
  • a womanizer (guess which song)
  • phone *** ("Phonography")
  • getting amnesia whenever you see the person you're attracted to ("Amnesia")
  • finding someone who truly cares about you ("Unusual You")
  • ...and, finally, my personal favourite, motherhood ("My Baby")

Still, though, there are some songs with more basic topics and there's the mess discussed in point #2.

Rating: 4 / 5

4. My favourite video is "Womanizer", of course! It has an interesting plot that I haven't seen in any video yet, it has nice special effects that still look modern, she looks FLAWLESS and the guy in the video is the most handsome yet. :feelingmyself: What else could you possibly need?

Rating: 5 / 5

5. With the Circus era, Britney showed everyone how to properly do a comeback. With its flawless songs, tour, performances, looks and attitude, it still remains one of the most iconic moments in pop history.

Poll________________________________________________________________________________________

1. The album's sound varies: there are songs which still sound pretty fresh today, like "Womanizer", "Circus", "Blur" or "Rock Me In", while other songs haven't held up as well, sound-wise (mostly thinking of "Unusual You" here). The album is also not very cohesive, and sometimes the track order makes no sense:

• "My Baby" after "Lace And Leather"?! :joanne:
  • "Out From Under" between "Circus" and "Kill The Lights"?! :jlostare:

Rating: 4 / 5

2. On the complete contrary, I LOVE the fact that this album has some sort of theme. The booklet looks amazing and fits that theme very well, while the tour revolves around a circus without making it too generic. It's her best album, visually.

Rating: 5 / 5

3. My 3 favourite songs, in order, are:

• "Circus"
  • "Womanizer"
  • "Blur"

Rating: 5 / 5 for all

4 hours ago, Million Billion said:

It happens to me that I feel this album isn't that great, it isn't even in my top 5 Britney albums but when I listen to each song separately I feel like most tracks are great, IDK it's a weird feeling :yeahsure:

THIS! Couldn't have put it better myself :bigtime: This is exactly how I feel about the album. Overall it is my least favourite album but individually most songs are great! @DayvinDazone this is what I mean :comingthru:

Archived