[Update: Results are in] Overall Album Evaluation- Blackout

How would you rate Britney's fifth album?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the overall sound of the album, on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest

• 1 ⭐️
    • 2 ⭐️⭐️
    • 3 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
    • 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    • 5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
  2. 2. Rate the physical outlook of the album, on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest

• 1 ⭐️
    • 2 ⭐️⭐️
    • 3 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
    • 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    • 5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
  3. 3. Pick your top 3 favourite songs from the album (Only 3)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/15/2019 at 02:51 AM

Overall Album Evaluation - Blackout ??

Hey everyone! 

To evaluate the overall ranking of Britney's fifth album, I request you to participate in this poll. Just choose an answer for each category of questions and the final results will be posted once a specific number of members have voted. 

In addition to voting, I request you to also engage in answering the following questions:

1. Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it?
  2. Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favourite? Rate them on a scale of 1 to 5
  3. How do you think the album did lyrically? Rate on a scale of 1 to 5
  4. Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5
  5. If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be?

Note: The third category in the poll is multiple-choice, Vote any 3

Spoiler

FTc6Un2.jpg4XYWwQX.jpg6CrkyK9.jpg7EKIBB9.jpgvHPSHaW.jpg

UPDATE

The results are in, click on the spoiler below to view them:

Spoiler

Based on 83 votes, these are the ratings of the album:

•  Overall sound of the album - 4.62 / 5
  • Physical outlook of the album - 4.0 / 5

Top 3 songs of the album: 

1. Gimme More - 71% voters (59 votes)
  2. Break The Ice - 57% voters (47 votes)
  3. Get Naked (I Got A Plan) - 35% voters (29 votes)

Based on the answers recieved from 11 members,

1. 6 voters agree that there should have been more than 3 singles from the album and 4 voters agree that Radar should have been a single from this album and not from Circus.
  2. 3 voters agree that Everybody is the worst song of tha album with a rating of 3.3 / 5. Radar comes in second place.
  3. The album received a lyrical average of 3.9 / 5.
  4. 5 voters agree that Piece Of Me was the best video from the album.
  5. Most upvoted review by @Commotion and @Stefi Hilton

It was the right album for the wrong time. Hindsight has showed us that Blackout was RIGHT and it inspired a new sound even Britney was trying to follow the next year. But sadly it couldn't be actually properly promoted like Circus would be, which would then outsell Blackout despite BO being superior. It was the "comeback" album before the proper comeback.

Blackout is definitely Britney's Magnum Opus. It marks a time in her career when she felt like pushing beyond boundaries. She was roaming the pop territory without a map, and this way her iconic status solidified. It's Britney, *****, for sure.

Final Verdict: Excellent

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  1. Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it? I think Gimme More was right, Piece of Me was really good as a second single, Break The Ice was good too. Could've got a different video. If anything it needed more singles, Ooh Ooh Baby, Perfect Lover, Get Back, Heaven On Earth could've been singles. If anything Radar should've been released before Circus. It was just that her private life wasn't right for the promotion of the album at the time.
  2. Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favourite? Rate them on a scale of 1 to 5. From the regular tracklist, Radar and it's a 3/5. From the bonus tracks, Everybody, 2.5/5.
  3. How do you think the album did lyrically? Rate on a scale of 1 to 5. 5/5. It achieves everything it needs with its lyrics tbh. We can talk about how State of Grace/Let Go/Just Yesterday were written "better" and that'd be ok, but it's about the vibe she wanted to give. And it achieves that easily.
  4. Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5. Piece of Me, 3.5/5.
  5. If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be? It was the right album for the wrong time. Hindsight has showed us that Blackout was RIGHT and it inspired a new sound even Britney was trying to follow the next year. But sadly it couldn't be actually properly promoted like Circus would be, which would then outsell Blackout despite BO being superior. It was the "comeback" album before the proper comeback.
  1. Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it?
    YES, Gimme more bringed her back with the now legendary "It's Britney *****", Piece of me was spot on when it was released and Break the ice was a great choice too. I would have added Get Naked and Heaven on Earth after BTI.

2. Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favourite? Rate them on a scale of 1 to 5
    I would say Perfect Lover and I would rate it 3/5. It's a very nice song but my least fav.

3/5 I would say, even if the album is awesome, it was kind of poor lyrically. In general chorus has 4 looped words lol. It serves the songs but it's not lyrical genius.

4. Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5
    I would say Break The Ice but I wished so hard it was with Britney and not just a cartoon. 4/5

5. If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be?
    Blackout felt like salvation. It's not a masterpiece but it felt so good when it came out. It brings a lot of interresting sounds and def had an impact on pop music.

I think they were. In the sense that they were logical choices for successful singles. The fact that they could not be fully supported by Britney due to her situation at the time is a completely different discussion. I also think that they all aged extremely well. They have a sound that is timeless and that does not mimic anything that was put out in 2007. Actually, there wasn't anything to mimic. With people like Amy Winehouse being popular in 2007, pop culture was in for a change of rails. 

My least favorite song has to be Radar. I often skip it. It sounds quite outdated, honestly. I think that choosing it as a single during the Circus era was a mistake.

Lyrically? Oh god. Listen, Britney's songs aren't lyrically impressive. They're no Joni Mitchell songwriting. I appreciate it at the level of pop artistry and I give it a light 3. Her songs are more mood centred instead of pure poetry.

4.Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5

My favorite video has to be Gimme More. It was shocking to me to see Britney with brown hair. I felt like I was watching her doppelganger instead of her. It was psychedelic. Intense. Trashy. Rebellious. I give it a strong 4.

5.If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be?

Blackout is definitely Britney's Magnum Opus. It marks a time in her career when she felt like pushing beyond boundaries. She was roaming the pop territory without a map, and this way her iconic status solidified. It's Britney, *****, for sure.

Omg yaaass Blackout :yesplease:

Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it?

Omg yes, gimme more was the perfect opener and lead. Piece of Me was a much needed serve at the time and BTI is top 10 best Britney songs overall.

Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favourite? Rate them on a scale of 1 to 5
Look, I know it’s more personal song and whatever, but I just don’t really vibe on WSIBS. I’ve probably listened to it maybe 10 times since the album came out. Although it does close the album well, it just kills my **** vibes at the end. 

How do you think the album did lyrically? Rate on a scale of 1 to 5
3.5/5. It’s basically dark, slutty bops for the club. Don’t get me wrong, I am here. for. it. But lyrically, it wasn’t game changing or anything, just ****** af. 

Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5  

Piece of me 3/5. None of the MVs are her best, that’s for sure. But I love the “no f*cks given” attitude all over the song and MV for POM and the ridiculous hair up/hair down editing on the iconic bathroom dance number :riha:

If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be?
An unexpectedly great album that has a lasting legacy. Although Britney may not have been in the best place, her impact was still enormous as she set the trends of pop music once again. 

Honestly, I still listen to this album from track 1-11 at least once a month. I just ******* love it :madance:

Questionnaire______________________________________________________________________________

1. All the singles chosen were very good:

• "Gimme More" is very simple, but it's perfect - addicting production, seductive vocals, the lyrics being a possible double-entendre
  • "Piece Of Me" is one of her best songs - the production is messy and the vocals sound bored and half-asleep, but taking the (very direct) lyrics into consideration, they just fuel the whole feel of "**** off and leave me alone". It's hard to explain, but it's a great song.
  • "Break The Ice" is amazing. Similar to "Gimme More", the vocals are seductive, the production is addictive and the music video really stands out from other Britney M/Vs.

I would add "Radar" to that list, however. It just would've been better to release it in the Blackout era than carry it over to Circus.

2. The worst song on the album is easily "Everybody". There are too many effects on Britney's voice, the sample of "Sweet Dreams" is kinda pointless but makes the song a little better. The track has 'J.R. Rotem' written all over it. It's still kinda fun and could be much worse, considering who produced it (mentioned above).

Rating: 3 / 5

3. Lyrically, this album focuses on (get ready for it)... ***, love and partying! Some songs do have a more interesting theme, like "Piece Of Me", for example. Overall, it's not too interesting, but also doesn't get too monotonous.

Rating: 3 / 5

4. I think my favourite video is "Break The Ice". As I said already, it's interesting and stands out a lot from Britney's other videos.

Rating: 5 / 5

5. Blackout is proof that even in her worst moments, Britney can make some amazing music. The album barely aged and still sounds fairly fresh today, making it even better.

Poll questions_______________________________________________________________________________

1. Since dance-pop and electropop are some of my favourite music sub-genres, this album is a real treat. I love it.

Rating: 5 / 5

2. The album cover is... lazy. It's just the "Gimme More" single cover with changed text, coloured and with random squares added in the background. I'm not a fan of it, but it could be worse... (see: Britney album cover). Despite this, she looks beautiful in the booklet and I love its club-like feel (not sure how to explain it).

Rating: 4 / 5

3. My three favourite songs (in order) are:

1. "Outta This World"
  2. "Break The Ice"
  3. "Piece Of Me"

Rating: 5 / 5 for all of them

Also, sorry for not commenting on the Britney and In The Zone evaluation threads. I'll try to comment on every next one from now on.

3 hours ago, DayvinDazone said:

OMG we're doing Blackout already OMG OMG can't wait for Brandy Jinx :jj:

EDIT: I just noticed my reviews are flopping hard & I didn't get to vote on ...Baby One More Time :icant2:

There's no comparison, every review matters to me :kiss: And I find your's really entertaining. And yes, I cannot wait for BJ too. The reactions and flop votes :pieceofwhat: Probably the final verdict in the results will be "Below Average" :embarrassed:

Spoiler

And did you happen to see the ITZ results? The album got an "Excellent" verdict and BNG was voted the worst of the album :ohi:

1 hour ago, Shadow2003 said:

Also, sorry for not commenting on the Britney and In The Zone evaluation threads. I'll try to comment on every next one from now on.

Aww don't be sorry! I'm glad people started taking these evaluations more seriously since ITZ. Every review counts :kiss: And thank you for that excellent clear cut review!

1. If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be?

Yes, totally. 
But I felt the era kinda incomplete, 3 singles weren't enough. I'd add Hot as Ice (european) / Perfect Lover (US) as the 4th singles, Outta This World as the 5th and Get Naked as the 6th & final single.

Least fav : Heaven on Earth (
2.5/5)
Favorite : Gimme More of course (
5/5)
Break The Ice : 4.99/5
Everybody : 3.5/5
Freakshow : 2.75/5
Get Back : 3.75/5
Get Naked : 4.6/5
Hot as Ice : 4.75/5
Ooh Ooh Baby : 3/5
Outta This World : 4.8/5
Perfect Lover : 4.25/5
Piece of me : 4.5/5
Radar : 2.75/5
Toy Soldier : 4/5
Why Should I be Sad : 3.25/5

3. Lyrically, 4/5.

4. Favorite video : Break The Ice 4/5 (too bad it's an anime tho)
Gimme More : 3.75/5 (too bad the original Gimme More MV (dubbed as The Funeral Version) wasn't released..)
Piece of me : 3.5

5. Despite her ups & downs at that time, Britney made one of the greatest albums of the Pop History.

1. Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it? - 4th single - Heaven on Earth/WSIBS
  2. Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favourite? Rate them on a scale of 1 to 5 - Everybody, 3/5
  3. How do you think the album did lyrically? Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 - by this point, Brintney was all about fame, paparazzi, ***, and the album did well in addressing those, so 5
  4. Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5 - omg the 2 videos that she did were so horrible i can't even choose which is better, hmmm, I'll go with Piece of Me because it has a plot :jj:
  5. If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be? - Whenever people say Lady Gaga and Kesha were trendsetters with their early records, I always tell them to f**king listen to Blackout. This album invented their careers and the electropop sounds that will come through the succeeding years. :flawlessbye:

Overall sound: 5/5

Physical outlook: 5/5

Top 3 songs: Gimme More, Get Naked, Get Back

1. Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it? First three singles were fine but Radar should have been released as the 4th single as planned but I guess it couldn't have happened because of Britney's personal problems at the time. Get Naked and Get Back would have made good singles too.
  2. Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favourite? Rate them on a scale of 1 to 5 - I love the album too much, I'd say Perfect Lover but I don't hate this song!! I just don't like/listen to it as much as the rest of the album. It's a 3.8/5 for me.
  3. How do you think the album did lyrically? Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 - 4/5. I feel like the lyrics aren't as good as In the Zone but still very mature lyrics in the album and some great messages in songs such as Gimme More (this song's about the media NOT ***!!!), Piece Of Me, Why Should I Be Sad etc.
  4. Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5 - Piece Of Me, 3.8 or 4/5. Not an amazing video by any means but it's pretty fun and much better than the Gimme More and Break the Ice videos.
  5. If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be? Britney's best album by far. Innovative, trend setting and an epitome of electropop from the late 2000's, the album is dark and edgy and saw Britney in full control as she executive produced the entire record. Responsible for one of my all time fave Britney songs (Gimme More)

1. Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it? The Singles were fine imo. I understand her struggles at the time so it would've had to be cut anyway. But if things were different I would've re-released Blackout around May 2008 with some unreleased material and just put State Of Grace as the only single from it. So all together the 3 original and State of Grace.
  2. Which song do you think is the worst from the album or your least favourite? Rate them on a scale of 1 to 5. My least favourite would probably be Why Should I Be Sad? I like it but I really not a big fan of the melody the production and lyrics are 10/10 it's just the melody that annoys me. Overall 3.5/5
  3. How do you think the album did lyrically? Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 Lyrically I think it could've gone deeper but I understand why they didn't. Overall 4/5
  4. Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5 Gimme More, it just gives proper Britney vibes. Not that I don't like POM but Gimme More is just so iconic I can't describe it.
  5. If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be? One of the best pop albums we have, and it was the premiere of the future music of upcoming pop.

Oh boy, here we go... sorry in advance if this is long, but Blackout is my ****. 

1. Do you think the selected singles were apt? If no, then how would you have done it?

Yes! Gimme More was perfect to set the tone for the era and to get fans/critics talking again. It gave us the infamous line “It’s Britney *****”. The video was dark and rebellious, and it indeed left us wanting more. Piece of Me was perfect for what Britney’s life was at the time. The paparazzi, tabloids, rumors, and scandals. On the outside it was a perfect-for-radio fun, catchy, pop-techno song, but on the inside it was a big **** you. Break The Ice was the perfect third single from the album, but didn’t get the recognition it deserved. In my opinion, it’s one of Britney’s best songs. Like most things from this era, there was no promotion. The song didn’t play as much on the radio, and the scrapping of the video (giving us the anime one) didn’t help either. Break The Ice had so much potential at the time.. at least she slayed it in POM.

At the time Blackout came out I would have said Why Should I Be Sad (3/5). It just didn’t flow with the rest of the album. If it was that important to put a K-Flop diss track on the CD there were better options, like the unreleased Untitled Lullaby (Baby Boy). Now I would say the worst is Radar (then 4/5, now 2/5) solely because of how much her team has shoved it down our throats. It was fine on Blackout and it should have stayed there. 

Lyrically I’d say the album is maybe a 3.5/5. There a lot of club bops with **** lyrics that don’t really mean much like Get Naked, Freakshow, and Ooh Ooh Baby. Songs like Piece of Me and Why Should I Be Said had personal and meaningful lyrics. And then there were beautifully written songs like Heaven on Earth and Break the Ice. Don’t even get me started on the unreleased tracks... State of Grace, Let Go, and Just Yesterday. The lyrics, Britney’s voice, and the emotion in all of these leave me speechless.

4. Which is your favourite video from the album? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 5

Favorite video is Piece of Me, hands down. Are the other two videos we got from this era even contenders? Gimme More was just Britney dancing on a ******** pole (still waiting for the original video to leak), and Break The Ice was a cartoon. At least Piece of Me had a little bit of a story line. Not to mention the iconic bathroom dance scene that Brit choreographed herself. The video isn’t her best, but it’s definitely not her worst. I’d give it a 4/5. 

5. If you were to give the album a short 2 line review, what would it be? 

Blackout: a truly timeless, iconic masterpiece that was unfortunately overshadowed by the tragic fall of the world’s biggest pop star. The album that took risks, created a new and different sound, and shaped the way for pop music for years to come. 

For real though, Blackout is my favorite Britney album. I still listen to it from start to finish on a weekly basis  :bparty:

Archived