Is Blackout the last great pop album of the 2000s?

Stefi Hilton

I am absolutely HOOKED and BEWITCHED by this album. I listened to it the month it came out and I have had it on repeat ever since. :mhm:

It has this cryptic, almost sacred sound. Tracks like Gimme More, Heaven on Earth and Perfect Lover sound mystical. There's a vibe going on that is hard to describe. 

britney-spears-and-priest.jpg

I would describe it as dark music to play in a catholic church at night. Even that photo of Britney confessing to the priest in the Blackout booklet is significant. It feels rebellious, gone wrong and damaged somehow. The instrumental for Gimme More is so psychedelic. The VMA performance gave it its legendary status. It's the anthem of broken stardom, the robotic crowd chanting GIMME MORE GIMME MORE ughhh it's all about addiction to celebrity and to music. And the MV?? When it came out I was like OMFG IS THAT BRITNEY DID SHE GET A TATTOO IS SHE A ******** NOW WHAT IS GOING ON MAMI I NEED THE TEA

source.gif

Piece of Me sounds almost like a whiplash. It's like penitence and asks the media for repentance to Godney. Get on your knees confess that you want a PIECE OF ME. The music video, the doppelgangers of Britney rushing to the car. Britney tossing the newspaper and throwing the middle finger. The definition of iconic.

ScSf.gif

Break the Ice. Man, I will never forget the day I first watched that music video. That f**king strange, anime styled music video. It was mesmerizing, disturbing, odd, all over the place. WHERE IS BRITNEY? The track is such a dark banger. It's almost Daft Punk-ish. Electro-soulless and chilling all at once. Not to mention that TO BE CONTINUED at the end. Fuuuuck. What did I just watch? Completely mesmerizing and unique.

giphy.gif

Heaven on Earth is an 80s, Donna Summer type of anthem. She serves sultry, black cherry vocals. Again, a very eerie mood. Like she's singing it to a lover she has yet to meet. Something hopeful and girly even, although all sense of innocence is lost.

Ooh Ooh Baby, Radar, Toy Soldier, Freakshow. Slutty bangers to shake your bum bum to. Original bops.

My favorite has always been Perfect Lover and I cannot explain why. The beat and instrumental literally HAUNT ME. I feel it's the darkest pop song I have ever listened to. It's like that song takes me on a rollercoaster ride of emotions. It feels so tainted and empty. I feel it's the black soul of Blackout. Call me crazy.

RANT OVER:smokney2: I AM A BLACKOUT FREAK

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, DayvinDazone said:

It has ZERO filler tracks, even the Japanese bonus tracks are flaw-free and our girl executive produced it. 

Everybody & WSIBS say hello. OOB and Hot As Ice also sound like cheap Furtado rejects while GM and BTI literally aged liked milk. HOE is a grower but it pisses me off how it wasn’t mastered and she sounded like Paris Hilton so I pass. It’s a good album but far from being as great as yall p*werbottoms claim. Now bring in the downvotes. AiU4mhe.gif

7 minutes ago, DayvinDazone said:

YASS, YASSS, f**king YAASSSSSS

Thank you.

It surprises me how little love there is for Perfect Lover when it's literally everything we want and need.

:gloria:

right??? i don't know why so many people are SLEEPING on it?! such a f**king amazing spiritual BOP

2 minutes ago, Goku said:

I entered just to say this. Close the thread.

AiU4mhe.gif

Also, Emotion exists.

AiU4mhe.gif

is the OP referring to the 2000s as in the decade or the entire 21st century so far? If he’s referring to the 21st century, then I can’t help but feel sorry if he thinks that an album from 2007 where half of it was pure generic europop filler was the last greatest pop album.AiU4mhe.gif

11 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

I’m sure the radical Gaga stans would argue the same for BO. :reductive:

I'd like to see them try to compare Blackout to Beautiful Dirty Rich, Boys Boys Boys, The Fame and the rest of those reject half finished demos. :hahaha:

Mind you, I was one Gaga's first stans back in 2009 when 'The Fame' first leaked. Everybody was dismissing her with the fizzled out first single "Just Dance" but I had downloaded her leaked album and knew that "Love Game", "Paparazzi", and "Poker Face" were going to blow up if she ever released them as singles.

11 minutes ago, nonoiseplz said:

I'd like to see them try to compare Blackout to Beautiful Dirty Rich, Boys Boys Boys, The Fame and the rest of those reject half finished demos. :hahaha:

Mind you, I was one Gaga's first stans back in 2009 when 'The Fame' first leaked. Everybody was dismissing her with the fizzled out first single "Just Dance" but I had downloaded her leaked album and knew that "Love Game", "Paparazzi", and "Poker Face" were going to blow up if she ever released them as singles.

cute story sis. anyways. back on topic. as an entirety, TF is more consistent but BO has a couple stand-out tracks as well. both albums have their strengths and weaknesses, and both most definitely have their fillers. BO as well. I will not hear it otherwise from you deluded britards. AiU4mhe.gif

I'm going to give Max Martin's "1989" a full listen since  I love most of the singles. I just never really cared his sister Taylor Swift but I'm going to give his album a shot because  "Wildest Dreams" "Style" "Bank Face" "Shake it off" "Out of the Woods" "Bad Blood" are as good as those standout tracks from Gaga's debut album. Maybe the rest of his album isn't full of fillers though. :tiffanynod:

Archived