What if she sung live?

She doesn't sing live the 90% of the shows and when she does is only a 5% of the show... I went to Germany last year and the show was AMAZING! OMG I LOVE HER :gobaby: yes, but let's face it she is not singing live anymore (I don't give a **** at this point tbh... well sometimes). To think that she is actually singing live behind the 1999 vocals at this point is delusional af. :hairflip:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'd love it if she kept it the way it is nowadays (with  new pre recorded vocals for those old *** songs, please) but sang one live ballad per show and maybe had it turned on over some songs, even singing over the track. 

For example, for Piece Of Me it'd have been perfect if they recorded new vocals to make it sound live for all of the songs but she did Everytime live in full for every sow (that's literally just 3 minutes of full live singing per show :frenchy:) and maybe she turned on her mic for the mid tempo or talked songs like Make Me, TOMH, Breathe On Me, the verses on Freakshow... and she could still have the track playing softer in the background for those. It's not reall that much but it'd help a lot 

I wonder what made her give up singing live at all and lip 100%. It's not the dancing could at least sing ballads live.

I think she has songs she could sing live and with the right setlist and practice she could do it! In fact, when I was younger one of the reasons I never wanted to see her* is because I listened to non fans and the whole "why would go to watch her dance to a CD?" thing that the GP says a lot. I think the whole show lipping puts a lot of people off from seeing her live. 

*I've sense come to my senses and got my life at POM but that is what I heard over and over and as a young and impressionable kid it got to me. 

Tbh I can’t stand a concert with vocals like this ... it’s hard for her to do that voice and it sounds awful and somehow her team thinks it sounds better than just singing in herlower register ... like lucky is an easy song ... this was the most sang live at one time. .. it must be sad doing a fake voice and soundin awful when you actually have a deep soulful voice

8 hours ago, Don'tTellMeToShutMyEyes said:

Before anyone posts the "I always sing live" thing, what do you think would happen if Britney actually sung the duration of her concerts live? We know she's not the best singer but she has a good voice. We know she's possibly damaged it with the baby voice but I for one, am sick of watching "live videos" where all she does is lip sync. I couldn't care less about the dancing although I will say of all the stars I've seen, she has the best dancing abilities. I could honestly sit through 2 hours of her sitting on a chair if she sung live for the most part and genuinely engaged with the audience. But that won't happen because she's anxious, lazy etc. I believe if people didn't expect singers to be perfect on stage, she'd feel less pressure to be entertaining and she'd have fun on stage. I think most people could accept that she wouldn't sound the same as her cd vocals but her team would worry people wouldn't like her true voice and maybe stop paying to see her. But I would pay so much more to see a happy, comfortable, genuine Britney perform than someone who dances and lip syncs the whole night. I don't blame her entirely because as I said, people expect her to look/sound/perform a certain way but at this point in her career, has she really got anything to lose by exposing herself and doing at least 1 or 2 live songs per show? People can be very critical of Britney (myself included) but they're also supportive when she does things out of the ordinary eg "something to talk about". I look at myself and think "could I perform the way she does? That pressure"? Probably not. That doesn't mean she should be allowed to coast because people pay good money to see her but if people gave the girl a break, maybe, just maybe, she'd feel more confident about herself and we'd all be happy. I can dream.

People going to a Britney Spears concert don't expect her to sing live. Saying things like "That doesn't mean she should be allowed to coast because people pay good money to see her..." is silly because people are buying tickets based on what they expect from a Britney Spears concert; live singing is not part of that expectation.

But I hear ya. Britney and her team should realize how important live vocals are to an audience. Even if everyone is knowingly buying tickets to see her lipsych to 20 year old vocals ,and dance around the stage, the incorporation of live vocals would make the show even better. If Britney yelled or spoke the lyrics over the album  backtrack,rather than sing, it would still add a lot more value to a show that is already destined to be a success. It makes almost no sense that she 100% lipsychs all of her original songs with her microphone turned completely off.

The only excuse that I can think of is that her team fears that the live mic feed will leak or someone will filter out the album vocals and post audio of her singing live while dancing as 'proof' that Britney can't sing; like people have did with the HBO VEGAS and Hawaii specials. Till this day, those live microphone feed leaks are still used by people as 'proof' Britney can't sing.  That's the only thing I can think of right now. :surething:

Britney is still able to sellout tours/concerts even though people know she is going to lipsych. If she were to get an overall reputation as someone who 'can't sing at all' then that could harm her legacy as a veteran touring artist. If Britney Spears can't sing at all then who is the person singing on her new albums??? That would be bad for business. Even with the Britnee Joan mess, she was able to escape it by remaining silent, aka not singing live. As long as Britney isn't giving anyone proof that she doesn't sound like the person on the  CD then most people will assume its autotune or a mix of background vocals blended in with Britney. I guess that make this the second reason. :britannoyed:

7 hours ago, babyimmafreak90 said:

No shade, but why stan Britney and go to her shows if you don’t want to see the holy spearit lip for her life and slay the moves? 

Dont get me wrong, I really wish she’d go back to singing a ballad live every show and pre record new vocals for the others. But I’m there for the show. After all, she’s always been known for her performances more than her singing abilities. 

Of every artist in the world, Britney will always be my favorite. I love her because of her music and she seems like a nice person outside of that but last year was my first time seeing her and I knew she would be lipsyncing but I couldn't help but feel unimpressed. I'm surprised how many people on here defend the lipsyncing because she's a good performer. I know we're all used to it but it's a concert. Real performers sing live. It's not normal for a singer to lip the entire show like Britney does. Other singers do lip but not to this extent. I knew what to expect when I saw her live and don't get me wrong, for the most part I enjoyed the show but compared to other popstars I've seen, it was underwhelming. I agree she's a brilliant dancer but when live vocals are sacrificed for that, it's stupid. I don't know what makes her a great performer to be honest. She barely interacted with the crowd, she didn't sing live and the dancing while good, wasn't needed throughout. Again, I love Britney but I'm trying to be objective. If she was famous for being on Strictly Come Dancing, fair enough but she's a singer, that's why people go to see her. If other performers can do both, why can't she?

8 hours ago, ralphcornio said:

Britney can't sing live to save her life, anyone in exhale thinkin' different is just delusional. You KNOW it, she couldn't even back in her prime.

8 hours ago, ralphcornio said:

Britney can't sing live to save her life, anyone in exhale thinkin' different is just delusional. You KNOW it, she couldn't even back in her prime.

I know she doesn't have the best voice but I'd like to go to one of her concerts and say I heard her real voice for at least 2 songs, however bad it is. Everything is so fake, I just want to hear actual vocals. 

2 hours ago, Intheblue said:

Tbh I can’t stand a concert with vocals like this ... it’s hard for her to do that voice and it sounds awful and somehow her team thinks it sounds better than just singing in herlower register ... like lucky is an easy song ... this was the most sang live at one time. .. it must be sad doing a fake voice and soundin awful when you actually have a deep soulful voice

I actually liked the Lucky performance :britannoyed: I see what you mean in that a whole show would be a bit much but 2 or 3 live songs would be everything. I don't care that she isn't pitch perfect because I appreciate that over something fake and soulless. People need to remember nobody is perfect. I know it might be weird to have 95% "perfect" lipped vocals and 5% awkward out of tune vocals but we all know about the lipping anyway. When I saw Shania last year, I was worried I wouldn't enjoy the show because of how her voice sounds now but I loved it. Even if Britney was out of tune, I'd still take 3 of those songs over all of POM anyday.

1 hour ago, nonoiseplz said:

People going to a Britney Spears concert don't expect her to sing live. Saying things like "That doesn't mean she should be allowed to coast because people pay good money to see her..." is silly because people are buying tickets based on what they expect from a Britney Spears concert; live singing is not part of that expectation.

But I hear ya. Britney and her team should realize how important live vocals are to an audience. Even if everyone is knowingly buying tickets to see her lipsych to 20 year old vocals ,and dance around the stage, the incorporation of live vocals would make the show even better. If Britney yelled or spoke the lyrics over the album  backtrack,rather than sing, it would still add a lot more value to a show that is already destined to be a success. It makes almost no sense that she 100% lipsychs all of her original songs with her microphone turned completely off.

The only excuse that I can think of is that her team fears that the live mic feed will leak or someone will filter out the album vocals and post audio of her singing live while dancing as 'proof' that Britney can't sing; like people have did with the HBO VEGAS and Hawaii specials. Till this day, those live microphone feed leaks are still used by people as 'proof' Britney can't sing.  That's the only thing I can think of right now. :surething:

Britney is still able to sellout tours/concerts even though people know she is going to lipsych. If she were to get an overall reputation as someone who 'can't sing at all' then that could harm her legacy as a veteran touring artist. If Britney Spears can't sing at all then who is the person singing on her new albums??? That would be bad for business. Even with the Britnee Joan mess, she was able to escape it by remaining silent, aka not singing live. As long as Britney isn't giving anyone proof that she doesn't sound like the person on the  CD then most people will assume its autotune or a mix of background vocals blended in with Britney. I guess that make this the second reason. :britannoyed:

I assumed everyone in the world knew she doesn't sing live at all. You constantly see articles about her lip syncing, that's why I thought it would be good if she did a few songs live to show people "I have a voice, I can sing". I agree with you about her team but at this point, I don't think she can really damage her legacy anymore than she's already done. To sing live, however *bad* would surely get her some respect for doing what she's actually supposed to? Of course there will always be people who make videos "proving" she can't sing, they do it with most singers. But, remember when the Toxic vocals leaked? Even the GP loved it from what I read on newspaper comments sections. If she could lessen the dancing a bit, she could definitely give some half decent live vocals. 

13 hours ago, Don'tTellMeToShutMyEyes said:

I wonder if that's enough for most people. When I saw her live last year, I certainly enjoyed the show but there were definitely parts where I got bored of seeing her dancing around the stage. I just wanted to hear some live vocals. It's really not a lot to ask for. Perhaps I was wrong to say she could sit on a chair and do the whole show live but I've also seen Gaga live and she was what I would call a brilliant performer. She danced, sung live the whole time and had a very sweet and funny but edgy and honest attitude. I love Britney more but Gaga is definitely a better performer than she is. I was 6 when Britney was in her prime but even watching videos from the golden days, I don't get how people constantly say she's a brilliant performer. Brilliant dancer, definitely but I easily get bored of watching her dance on stage (however good she is) to prerecorded or lipsynced vocals. She's not as captivating in terms of stage presence as people seem to think she is. That's why she should do a few songs live. Maybe she'd get more respect as a performer.

I agree with you on this! I saw POM, and I definitely felt like the show needed a moment or two where she just sits by the piano and sings a ballad to the crowd. I even came to the conclusion that I didn't care if she was singing live, just because I felt like we needed a break from all those hit songs. 

5 hours ago, Don'tTellMeToShutMyEyes said:

I assumed everyone in the world knew she doesn't sing live at all. You constantly see articles about her lip syncing, that's why I thought it would be good if she did a few songs live to show people "I have a voice, I can sing". I agree with you about her team but at this point, I don't think she can really damage her legacy anymore than she's already done. To sing live, however *bad* would surely get her some respect for doing what she's actually supposed to? Of course there will always be people who make videos "proving" she can't sing, they do it with most singers. But, remember when the Toxic vocals leaked? Even the GP loved it from what I read on newspaper comments sections. If she could lessen the dancing a bit, she could definitely give some half decent live vocals. 

You come off as somewhat entitled to have Britney sing live because you feel it is what she is 'supposed to do'. She's supposed to do whatever she's doing with her career. There are no set rules for her to follow. If she wanted to sit in a chair on stage and lipsych , while bobbing  her head to the studio vocals of her biggest hits, then thats what she's supposed to be doing. Its Britney and her teams decision as to what she's supposed to be doing. Right now, full on lipsyching is what she is supposed to be doing because she decided that she's going to do.

Yes, Britneys reputation could get worse.  The Brenda Joan drama could have been a lot worse.

3 hours ago, Don'tTellMeToShutMyEyes said:

I actually liked the Lucky performance :britannoyed: I see what you mean in that a whole show would be a bit much but 2 or 3 live songs would be everything. I don't care that she isn't pitch perfect because I appreciate that over something fake and soulless. People need to remember nobody is perfect. I know it might be weird to have 95% "perfect" lipped vocals and 5% awkward out of tune vocals but we all know about the lipping anyway. When I saw Shania last year, I was worried I wouldn't enjoy the show because of how her voice sounds now but I loved it. Even if Britney was out of tune, I'd still take 3 of those songs over all of POM anyday.

I like the Lucky performance too, but the general public would literally have slaughtered her if she sang live and sounds shaky in this day and age. She get's enough hate as it is so I wouldn't want her to get any more...

3 hours ago, nonoiseplz said:

You come off as somewhat entitled to have Britney sing live because you feel it is what she is 'supposed to do'. She's supposed to do whatever she's doing with her career. There are no set rules for her to follow. If she wanted to sit in a chair on stage and lipsych , while bobbing  her head to the studio vocals of her biggest hits, then thats what she's supposed to be doing. Its Britney and her teams decision as to what she's supposed to be doing. Right now, full on lipsyching is what she is supposed to be doing because she decided that she's going to do.

Yes, Britneys reputation could get worse.  The Brenda Joan drama could have been a lot worse.

Well she's a singer. She's supposed to be singing, not pretending. I can't believe so many of you just accept the lip syncing like it's okay. Taylor Swift didn't dance a lot at her tour but she still sung live and put on a good show. Britney can do that but with people encouraging her not to bother making an effort, it won't ever happen.

I don’t think it’s a case of singing live I think it’s a case of her team allowing her mic volume to be turned up. I honestly believe she is singing a lot of the show but her team refuse to let us hear it. When she was pissed saying she always sings live and isn’t appreciated for it, I think she genuinely believes she does and maybe isn’t allowed to see playback from her shows so doesn’t actually know we can’t hear it.

46 minutes ago, Don'tTellMeToShutMyEyes said:

Well she's a singer. She's supposed to be singing, not pretending. I can't believe so many of you just accept the lip syncing like it's okay. Taylor Swift didn't dance a lot at her tour but she still sung live and put on a good show. Britney can do that but with people encouraging her not to bother making an effort, it won't ever happen.

Says who? :tiffcackle: Definitely not the majority of the people who bought tickets to her sold out shows. Those people are just fine with Britney pretending to sing.

I don't accept her lipsyching as 'OK'. I am embarrassed everytime she lipsychs a televised performance but I can still enjoy her dancing, the music, and the overall performance. Britney is not Taylor Swift. Taylor and team are going to do what Taylor & team want to do. Britney and team are going to do what Britney & team want to do.

For the past ...uh...19 years(?) a lot of Britney fans have been vocal about their dislike for Britney's lipsyching. Surely by now Britney and team get the messages but ,in the end, they are going to do what they want to do.  Its been 12 years since Britneys breakdown and she has yet to return to full form. She has not picked up where she left off as the artist she was blossoming into with "In the Zone" and her skills as a performer never fully returned. The only thing Britney and team have improved on is Britneys music, even though they royally screwed up releasing Brenda Joan.

I have accepted that Britney never fully returned and probably won't ever return to fully evolve into the artist & performer that we knew she was capable of becoming before her trauma. Because I have accepted this, I'm not too upset about Britneys' shortcomings as an artist & performer. I feel she is still is wounded but is trying to live her best life. I appreciate her effort even if I don't love the results.

I will always encourage Britney do better but I'm not going to give anymore meaningless ultimatums that will most likely do more damage than good for both Britney and myself.

32 minutes ago, mrjt1986 said:

I don’t think it’s a case of singing live I think it’s a case of her team allowing her mic volume to be turned up. I honestly believe she is singing a lot of the show but her team refuse to let us hear it. When she was pissed saying she always sings live and isn’t appreciated for it, I think she genuinely believes she does and maybe isn’t allowed to see playback from her shows so doesn’t actually know we can’t hear it.

you sound like you really believe that. :useeinthis:

Archived