What if she sung live?

Before anyone posts the "I always sing live" thing, what do you think would happen if Britney actually sung the duration of her concerts live? We know she's not the best singer but she has a good voice. We know she's possibly damaged it with the baby voice but I for one, am sick of watching "live videos" where all she does is lip sync. I couldn't care less about the dancing although I will say of all the stars I've seen, she has the best dancing abilities. I could honestly sit through 2 hours of her sitting on a chair if she sung live for the most part and genuinely engaged with the audience. But that won't happen because she's anxious, lazy etc. I believe if people didn't expect singers to be perfect on stage, she'd feel less pressure to be entertaining and she'd have fun on stage. I think most people could accept that she wouldn't sound the same as her cd vocals but her team would worry people wouldn't like her true voice and maybe stop paying to see her. But I would pay so much more to see a happy, comfortable, genuine Britney perform than someone who dances and lip syncs the whole night. I don't blame her entirely because as I said, people expect her to look/sound/perform a certain way but at this point in her career, has she really got anything to lose by exposing herself and doing at least 1 or 2 live songs per show? People can be very critical of Britney (myself included) but they're also supportive when she does things out of the ordinary eg "something to talk about". I look at myself and think "could I perform the way she does? That pressure"? Probably not. That doesn't mean she should be allowed to coast because people pay good money to see her but if people gave the girl a break, maybe, just maybe, she'd feel more confident about herself and we'd all be happy. I can dream.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be ok for one especial occasion.

But that would definitely reduce the duration of the show, and the shows per residency/tour. There's no way she would be doing 3 shows per week, of a long duration, completely live, for 2-5 years.

Also, what kind of setlist would that be? Just ballads? 

Or she would sing Work *****, Till the World Ends, Toxic, without dancing? 

1 minute ago, PokemonSpears said:

That would be ok for one especial occasion.

But that would definitely reduce the duration of the show, and the shows per residency/tour. There's no way she would be doing 3 shows per week, of a long duration, completely live, for 2-5 years.

Also, what kind of setlist would that be? Just ballads? 

Or she would sing Work *****, Till the World Ends, Toxic, without dancing? 

I get that people want to dance to those songs but some of us go to concerts for the music, to hear the singers perform their songs live. I'd love to hear her sing Toxic live. It doesn't need to be all the songs but she certainly doesn't need to dance as much as she does. Concerts should be about the music more than the dancing. People in the audience can still dance even if she isn't and just because she might sing live doesn't mean it would have to be a ballad with no instruments playing. 

I think it would be a boring show if there was no dancing. Has she ever sang Toxic 100% live? 

Britney is a known performer and is recognized for her dancing abilities. She doesn't have the vocal ability to JUST do ballads. Yeah, her voice is beautiful but she needs other aspects in her shows to make it what it needs to be. I would be sad if she quit dancing and just did ballads.

10 minutes ago, BRSM_jl said:

I think it would be a boring show if there was no dancing. Has she ever sang Toxic 100% live? 

Britney is a known performer and is recognized for her dancing abilities. She doesn't have the vocal ability to JUST do ballads. Yeah, her voice is beautiful but she needs other aspects in her shows to make it what it needs to be. I would be sad if she quit dancing and just did ballads.

I wonder if that's enough for most people. When I saw her live last year, I certainly enjoyed the show but there were definitely parts where I got bored of seeing her dancing around the stage. I just wanted to hear some live vocals. It's really not a lot to ask for. Perhaps I was wrong to say she could sit on a chair and do the whole show live but I've also seen Gaga live and she was what I would call a brilliant performer. She danced, sung live the whole time and had a very sweet and funny but edgy and honest attitude. I love Britney more but Gaga is definitely a better performer than she is. I was 6 when Britney was in her prime but even watching videos from the golden days, I don't get how people constantly say she's a brilliant performer. Brilliant dancer, definitely but I easily get bored of watching her dance on stage (however good she is) to prerecorded or lipsynced vocals. She's not as captivating in terms of stage presence as people seem to think she is. That's why she should do a few songs live. Maybe she'd get more respect as a performer.

Her dancing has been dumbed down so much that she could sing all her songs live without it sounding bad. :whatitellu:

If she just did the verses with the additional background vocals and choruses there shouldn’t be an issue. She did it before without the training of using her new voice. Now she’s use to singing in her new way so it should actually be easier. 

She has to evolve as a performer, in my eyes. When you see what she did during the tour last year, it really became apparent how dated her act is. I love her to pieces and will always defend her abilities, but she makes herself look talentless a lot of the time. 

Either the people around her or scared to say it, or Britney herself is completely oblivious to how bad it has become. I know there’s things we need to consider, but it shouldn’t have ever gotten to this point. We get a live syllable now and the fanbase is in ruins. 

The voice needs a lot of work if she’s going to sing live again, let’s agree on that. STTA was a start, but it was all over the place if you really look at it objectively. It’s not her “real voice”, just another variation of the forced one. It’s like she completely disregards her voice or any consideration towards it when putting together a show/performance. She’s not vocally inept, and even if she’s not known for being a great singer, why not commit to it and prove people wrong. Rihanna really worked on her voice and she’s pretty steady live now. People wouldn’t stop coming to a Britney show if she cut some of the dancing. You could turn on her mic through most of POM and expect good vocals because the routines weren’t very... demanding. 

These type of changes take time, though. I think the overall experience would be so much better, too. She always gave different interpretations of the songs when she sang live - and when you add in some well timed/executed dance breaks, good costumes and strip away pitched vocals, we could get something great. The backing track can stay, but hearing her would be start. 

9 minutes ago, ralphcornio said:

Britney can't sing live to save her life, anyone in exhale thinkin' different is just delusional. You KNOW it, she couldn't even back in her prime.

After 2002, you have a case. Progressively her voice deteriorated after BOMT, and even when you compare the 1998 performances to a year later, she’s struggling with the new voice.

1 hour ago, Don'tTellMeToShutMyEyes said:

I get that people want to dance to those songs but some of us go to concerts for the music, to hear the singers perform their songs live. I'd love to hear her sing Toxic live. It doesn't need to be all the songs but she certainly doesn't need to dance as much as she does. Concerts should be about the music more than the dancing. People in the audience can still dance even if she isn't and just because she might sing live doesn't mean it would have to be a ballad with no instruments playing. 

No shade, but why stan Britney and go to her shows if you don’t want to see the holy spearit lip for her life and slay the moves? 

Dont get me wrong, I really wish she’d go back to singing a ballad live every show and pre record new vocals for the others. But I’m there for the show. After all, she’s always been known for her performances more than her singing abilities. 

37 minutes ago, ralphcornio said:

Britney can't sing live to save her life, anyone in exhale thinkin' different is just delusional. You KNOW it, she couldn't even back in her prime.

Normally I agree with your opinions but this one is a total overstatement :bedtime:

Girl has given some very good vocals over her career, even if it has been rare. Her techique is not great, but to say she can’t sing to save her life? :nobitch: 

That 12 minute video of 1998ney singing her demos in Singapore proves this wrong. Sheesh!

19 minutes ago, babyimmafreak90 said:

Normally I agree with your opinions

I'm actually flattered tbh :mhm:

19 minutes ago, babyimmafreak90 said:

Girl has given some very good vocals over her career, even if it has been rare. Her techique is not great, but to say she can’t sing to save her life? :nobitch: 

That 12 minute video of 1998ney singing her demos in Singapore proves this wrong. Sheesh!

C'mon gurlll you know it's not good. Apart from some slower songs and ballads, every uptempo song of hers she tries singing live comes out horrible, there is a reason she doesn't do it often...and you know what? I'm completely fine with it. Granted, I'd love to her more vocals from her on 'spoken' songs, such as Work *****, Boys and as such. But I love the girl for her dancing, performance and stage presence, and I'm here for it. She's not a Mariah (who, by the way, also lip syncs) or a Whitney, it's not what made her Britney Spears, and once again, if people think she's suddenly becoming a vocalist legend they're delusional.

Buuut...I'm not saying her voice is not iconic, nor that she doesn't have notorious vocal abilities. In studio, with correct professionals and little tweaks, she can do things no other singers can.

For a britney spears show i dont expect a full live singing. Perhaps a couple of ballads and if were lucky she can sing cover songs. But i still personally wush she can sing her own songs on a different arrangements (i mean not all of them are hard to sing live) 

Ex.

She can do my prerogative and do somethin live since they have a rock feels to it.

She can change the arrangenent of womanizer (ive seen covers its not that hard to sing)

Of course ballads like dont let me be the last to know...

And some talking stuff on her songs. She has a good speaking voice when singing. Just use them baby.

Do medley like the 1999 teen choice where she can sing live first track and do massive dance routine. 

Damn, she can even sing breathe on me live. Her head voice can pull that off. Just practice baby.

:outwithit:

40 minutes ago, ralphcornio said:

I'm actually flattered tbh :mhm:

C'mon gurlll you know it's not good. Apart from some slower songs and ballads, every uptempo song of hers she tries singing live comes out horrible, there is a reason she doesn't do it often...and you know what? I'm completely fine with it. Granted, I'd love to her more vocals from her on 'spoken' songs, such as Work *****, Boys and as such. But I love the girl for her dancing, performance and stage presence, and I'm here for it. She's not a Mariah (who, by the way, also lip syncs) or a Whitney, it's not what made her Britney Spears, and once again, if people think she's suddenly becoming a vocalist legend they're delusional.

Buuut...I'm not saying her voice is not iconic, nor that she doesn't have notorious vocal abilities. In studio, with correct professionals and little tweaks, she can do things no other singers can.

Fair point on the vocalist legend. We all know she’s no powerhouse. Although her voice is iconic. 

But, you are right that she often doesn’t sound good singing her up tempo stuff, but neither is anyone else tbh. Most of the music Britney puts out doesn’t lend itself to live singing because it’s the product of studio magic. 

However she’s quite good at a lot of the covers she’s done and her ballads. I think there is definitely an above average voice in her. It’s a shame a lot her music doesn’t utilise it like her first 2 albums did. 

I definitely think she has more vocal talent than Tfizzle or Rihanna. I love Rihanna, but she should lip more tbh. I’m not here for any pop girl performing off key consistently for their entire career :brityes:

Archived