Celebrity Insider: Britney Spears’ conservatorship could finally come to an end (Locked - OP Request)

Catalin

Not long after Britney Spears had her famous meltdown that led to her shaving her head in front of paparazzi, her dad Jamie became the conservator of her approximately $200 million estate. Now, more than a decade later, Jamie has some serious health problems, and Britney just checked herself into a mental health facility, so many are wondering – who will be the one to take over the singer’s empire?

After the news broke that Britney had checked into a mental health facility, Radar Online talked to Beverly Hills attorney Jeffrey W. Steinberger to get some answers to the legal questions involved in the superstar singer’s current situation.

Steinberger explained that if Jamie is “incapacitated,” he could appoint a new conservator for Britney’s estate.

“If Britney is in good shape with her sister [Jamie Lynn] she could handle it, or any other family member,” Steinberger said. “It would be Jamie’s decision.

The 66-year-old Spears could also opt for a lawyer to take over instead of a family member, noted Steinberger.

Last month, co-conservator Andrew Wallet resigned and left Jamie in charge of the estate all by himself. If his health takes a bad turn to where he can no longer make cognitive decisions or passes away while Britney is still in treatment, then the court would take over and appoint someone.

Another option for Britney would be to petition the court herself so she could take back control of her fortune, but that would have to wait until she is out of treatment. Britney would have to be feeling better, and Steinberger says the court would bring in a therapist “to find out if she’s competent to handle her money.”  When it comes down to it, Steinberger says that Britney is an adult, and she has the right to her earnings.

Britney reportedly checked into a wellness center to deal with her dad’s failing health. She also canceled her Las Vegas residency last fall after her dad’s colon ruptured and he had to undergo multiple surgeries.

Insiders say that Jamie’s health is not improving, and he has had a lot of complications since the initial crisis of the ruptured colon.

As for Britney, her loved ones couldn’t be prouder of the singer’s attempt to get healthy. Her mom Lynne, sister Jamie Lynn, boyfriend Sam Asghari, and her ex-husband Kevin Federline have all spoken about the situation to show their love and support.

Britney Spears checked into the facility one week ago, and she will reportedly stay for thirty days. In the meantime, Federline has 90 percent custody of their two boys, Sean and Jayden.

Source: https://celebrityinsider.org/britney-spears-conservatorship-could-finally-come-to-an-end-amid-jamies-health-crisis-266177/

What do you guys think?  I think we'll have to wait until she's out of this treatment to know more about this situation.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to say it, but I doubt it.

In Europe they use a 2 day process to evaluate a persons psychiatric wellness, it is never 30 days.

Also I believe if it was a wellness assessment it would be at a hospital and not a MH facility.

Still I want to be proven wrong. 

28 minutes ago, chizwhiz said:

Sorry to say it, but I doubt it.

In Europe they use a 2 day process to evaluate a persons psychiatric wellness, it is never 30 days.

Also I believe if it was a wellness assessment it would be at a hospital and not a MH facility.

Still I want to be proven wrong. 

In America the process can be much shorter as well depending on the situation- but this conservatorship has been in place for so so long. That may be why it would take longer just to be sure. Also Britney may actually want to get to a calmer, more in-control state of mind prior to petitioning she be released from the conservatorship. So this could be voluntary, and then the courts would do their own evaluation if she seeks that path. 

Who knows. I just want her out of it if that’s what’s best for her.

1 hour ago, ubritney said:

I think the therapy she’s doing right now is a condition for her to be released from the c-ship. This way she can prove she’s very capable of resuming her life on her own.

Now it's the perfect timing to end this. Wallet is gone, Jamie is sick(or not, who knows), and she has no career-related projects now. She has enough time to deal with her issues. I really hope she'll do whatever it takes to prove that she can stand on her own because I don't want her to be in the custody of some shady lawyers for the rest of her lifetime.

48 minutes ago, Lilith said:

2 day process to evaluate a persons psych state is not enough lmfaooo............ in some countries in europe it's even a taboo/ppl get shunned if they say they have depression/visiting a psychiatrist. Also lots of european psych hospitals are complete trash.
2 days to evaluate someones mental health .......... :cackling:
I can evaluate Europe's mental health in 2 seconds tho! They're batshit if they think 2 days evaluation is "enough" :cackling:

It's true. I live in Romania, a third world Eastern European country, and patients in Romanian mental institutions are treated little better than animals.

1 hour ago, Lilith said:

2 day process to evaluate a persons psych state is not enough lmfaooo............ in some countries in europe it's even a taboo/ppl get shunned if they say they have depression/visiting a psychiatrist. Also lots of european psych hospitals are complete trash.
2 days to evaluate someones mental health .......... :cackling:
I can evaluate Europe's mental health in 2 seconds tho! They're batshit if they think 2 days evaluation is "enough" :cackling:

I just googled the US equivilant and it is 72 hours so just 3 days.

Maybe you don’t understand the intricacy of what a mental assessment entails?

48hrs is in a circumstance where someone is committed regardless of their will, but after the time is up - if they are deemed within specifications to ‘consent’ (ie sane) they can choose to leave.

it is the same as a 5150 hold which we know B had before. People also do not sign up willingly to these things nor do they take things like phones with Instagram on them in. 

My point is, I highly doubt a US medical centre does a ‘30 day stay’ for an evaluation. In a hospital after 72 hrs the patient would be able to leave of their freewill, now we know she is not in a hospital and we know she is probably not recognised as having ‘freewill’.

To put it nicely, y’all are deluded if you think this is anything but a rehabilitation of any kind. 

She is 38 for god sake. She's gotta get out of this mess sooner or later.

I think this is a perfect time, she is not working right now, her father is ill, she is checking her mental illness. 

Everything adds up. :schoolingtime:

Spoiler

Or the whole mental health facility thing was planned by her team to keep her in chains more :badthoughts:

12 minutes ago, chizwhiz said:

I just googled the US equivilant and it is 72 hours so just 3 days.

Maybe you don’t understand the intricacy of what a mental assessment entails?

48hrs is in a circumstance where someone is committed regardless of their will, but after the time is up - if they are deemed within specifications to ‘consent’ (ie sane) they can choose to leave.

it is the same as a 5150 hold which we know B had before. People also do not sign up willingly to these things nor do they take things like phones with Instagram on them in. 

My point is, I highly doubt a US medical centre does a ‘30 day stay’ for an evaluation. In a hospital after 72 hrs the patient would be able to leave of their freewill, now we know she is not in a hospital and we know she is probably not recognised as having ‘freewill’.

To put it nicely, y’all are deluded if you think this is anything but a rehabilitation of any kind. 

But aren't there mental health facilities that can provide long-term mental health treatment?

6 minutes ago, Kuzco said:

She is 38 for god sake. She's gotta get out of this mess sooner or later.

I think this is a perfect time, she is not working right now, her father is ill, she is checking her mental illness. 

Everything adds up. :schoolingtime:

Hide contents

Or the whole mental health facility thing was planned by her team to keep her in chains more :badthoughts:

She's 37

Archived