MAKE ME... OVERALL APPRECIATION THREAD

Let's give this song and everything related to it the appreciation it deserves.

1. The Song - the music itself was refreshing and adapting to the sound of 2016 and set the tone for the whole album. I was delighted when I first heard it. Whether it was lead single worthy (looking at you DYWCO), I will let you be the judge of that. But it is an excellent song if not the best of Glory.:makesomenoise:

2. The cover - 'nuff said

britney-spears-justin-timberlake-itunes-

Spoiler

The album cover in an alternate universe:crying1:

3. Music Video - before you guys tear me down into shreds, yes the video was bad but in the scrapped video she appeared desperate for attention and too slutty. So let's settle for an intermediate video which is neither good nor bad:well:

Spoiler

da9006a6a54d1bb01c53727d380e2248.gif

****-Britney-Spears-Music-Video-GIFs.gif

2f9ccb71a7357921db6006085859674f.gif

4. Promotion - Make Me was promoted really well, no one can disagree. Jimmy Kimmel, Carpool Karaoke, Jonathan Ross and a fricking VMA performance, when she returned after 9 years.:bbmaney:

5. Choreo - Okay so knee tapping aside, Make Me... was one of the only songs in POM to have a fully choreographed routine with no time to walk around the stage where she had nothing to do. Also it really fit the song:prettyney:

6. Commercial performance - I mean a top 20 hit almost 20 years into your career and you haven't released an album for 3 years, not everyone has that. Peaked at #17 and came back to the same position again after the VMAs. #1 on itunes too. Also critically acclaimed.:clap:

Yes the era definetly had its own faults, but look on the bright side, it had its good moments too. Britney was ready to put out a song in which she took a new vocal direction from her previous works and she had songwriting credits too. This song never got the appreciation it deserves. 

Share your experience when you first heard the song and what you thought about everything that came with it. 

Spread Positivity:kisses2all:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. The song is average and was clearly not single worthy compared to many other songs from Glory. Fµck mid-tempos! And the "make me oooooooooooooh" part gets irritating after a while, which reduces replay value. :angietea:

2. The cover is great indeed! ;)

3. The released music video is a pile of trash. The 'American Dream' version is better but was never released officially. It looks anyway like a subpar version of 3. :overitkbye:

4. Promotion-wise, it was ok, but performances were forgettable. Lip-syncing was cringeworthy and energy was lacking. The mid-tempo issue, again. :rlynow:

5. Ok choreography, but lacking dynamism. :tbh:

6. Average commercial performance. It should have been propelled to the top 10 by the music video, but we know how it ended... :bedtime:

Sorry for bursting your positivity bubble. :ohdear:

5 minutes ago, If U Seek Me said:

1. The song is average and was clearly not single worthy compared to many other songs from Glory. Fµck mid-tempos! And the "make me oooooooooooooh" part gets irritating after a while, which reduces replay value. :angietea:

3. The released music video is a pile of trash. The 'American Dream' version is better but was never released officially. It looks anyway like a subpar version of 3. :overitkbye:

4. Promotion-wise, it was ok, but performances were forgettable. Lip-syncing was cringeworthy and energy was lacking. The mid-tempo issue, again. :rlynow:

6. Average commercial performance. It should have been propelled to the top 10 by the music video, but we know how it ended... :bedtime:

Blame me for having hopes on Exhell:tiffsniffle:

1. I get your point with mid-tempos, they are not first single materials. In my opinion Do You Wanna Come Over should have been the lead.:nochillbrit:

2. Should have been the album cover:wontcry:

3.And yes they should have went with the American Dream version that cook up the mess we got in a short while. And i never noticed the resemblance to 3:woopsie:

4. Yes the song was heavily promoted but at the sane time any club-banger lead could have promted and brought in more success.

5. Dynamism:xfactorlook:

6. Look on the bright side, it's critically acclaimed :clap:

As i said, the era had many flaws, but Britney was finally at a place in her life where she felt confident again, she seemed happy when talking about music and performing. She released a song with a brand new vocal direction, tbh i was surprised when i heard it for the first time.

How did everyone else feel when they heard it for the first time?

21 minutes ago, If U Seek Me said:

Definitely not an average song. She took a chance and did something different and more mature sounding than stupid bubble gum pop music 

20 minutes ago, jokobitch said:

Definitely not an average song. She took a chance and did something different and more mature sounding than stupid bubble gum pop music 

Yes the track was mature but the real question is does a mid-tempo track like Make Me deserve to be the lead single of a new era that we had to wait for 3 years? :xfactorlook: Glory as a whole is something different but in a way it also adapted to many other songs of 2016. What really bugs me is when people say it was generic:beynah:

13 minutes ago, diegofs said:

Make Me is one of the best britney song eveeeeeeer

too bad it had the worst single treatment ever

video and choreography scrapped 

I agree I was so happy when I heard it for the first time.:makesomenoise:

But her team dragged the song back and forth like they wanted it to fail.

Fairly speaking, the last single that got proper treatment was from the Circus era:airpls:

Make Me is a great song, is not what we are used to from Britney as a lead single but it was a very interesting and mature sound choice to go with.

The song is really catchy, I remember I had a 5 hour flight the day it was released and I kept listening to the song on repeat, to the point that when I descended from the plain I knew the whole lyrics. :makeitrain:

Listening to Make Me stems, is such a treat for those of you who haven't.... you should :raven:

2 minutes ago, Fenixxx123 said:

a perfomance with this choreo would've been amazing

Was this the choreo from the original video? 

tumblr_odx2guAGXC1utlsiko2_500.gif

giphy.gif&key=2608c12a12c07bc8f32aecc8ec

giphy.gif.1b3c3c648c97503b3836276d0ff6ae

giphy.gif&key=dc555030ee16e69d2d0bcbcedf

tumblr_obgtri5gko1rkybl0o6_400.gif

And I recall seeing more glimpses of this choreo on the video that leaked but I'm lazy to keep searching for gifs... But yeah you get the point. :whatitellu:

2 minutes ago, Fenixxx123 said:

a perfomance with this choreo would've been amazing

But that was a rehearsal, and we all know how our girl does in rehearsals and what we get onstage:akii:

Tbh I don't think the problem was with the choreo. She was performing at the VMAs so she needed something more than just that simple performance of Make Me and I don't mean supporting g eazy by stealing bebe's song.:mj:

Imagine if she had performed a Glory medley or even DYWCO with remixed choreo...it would have established her return to the VMAs. Or she could have atleast performed Slumber Party with an actual theme like the mv.:cinderellaney:

No one remembers the performance or Make Me now, that's the issue 

5 minutes ago, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

But her team dragged the song back and forth like they wanted it to fail.

You know, I always had the same though :schoolingtime:

See, she was very involved on this album so I'm sure that's the reason why MM was chosen as the lead, and they obviously delayed the release date from Glory, so they could add G-eazy in to the track... and I feel like they wanted it to flop so they could say something like "told ya so.... let's bring Max Martin back" or something like that to go with a more commercial and safe sound. :badthoughts:

Maybe I'm reaching, but any executive from RCA or someone on her team would have foresee the fiasco that music video (the released one) would generate :whatitellu:

4 minutes ago, emmagphoto said:

Was this the choreo from the original video? 

tumblr_odx2guAGXC1utlsiko2_500.gif

giphy.gif&key=2608c12a12c07bc8f32aecc8ec

giphy.gif.1b3c3c648c97503b3836276d0ff6ae

giphy.gif&key=dc555030ee16e69d2d0bcbcedf

tumblr_obgtri5gko1rkybl0o6_400.gif

And I recall seeing more glimpses of this choreo on the video that leaked but I'm lazy to keep searching for gifs... But yeah you get the point. :whatitellu:

My favorite scene is mikey f**king her from behind lol

7 minutes ago, emmagphoto said:

Make Me is a great song, is not what we are used to from Britney as a lead single but it was a very interesting and mature sound choice to go with.

The song is really catchy, I remember I had a 5 hour flight the day it was released and I kept listening to the song on repeat, to the point that when I descended from the plain I knew the whole lyrics. :makeitrain:

Listening to Make Me stems, is such a treat for those of you who haven't.... you should :raven:

All Glory stems are treats:clap:

Great story. I agree it was different from what we got before and it was really a different direction vocally. It actually set the whole mood for Glory. I remember the first time I heard it too...I was surprised with her voice at the "cus you're the spark that won't go out" part.

It was love at first hear:tifftear:

Archived