Post against the "legacy" thing

Filippo

I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that this obsession with "legacies" is crazy. 

When the domination choreographers said protected was going to be performed (:byebye:), many people here went like "good that it was scrapped, she was going to ruin the song's legacy". :wtfdidusay:

I've seen this point of view everywhere on exhale. Recently I even read a comment (sorry, I don't remember the author) like "great that MJ died before having a flop album, he kept his legacy intact" :idkney: (as if this was true anyway :ehum:)

I think this point of view, especially when applied to a song or choreography (!!!), is absolutely crazy.

First of all, don't shoot the messenger, but nobody cares about protected anymore, apart from us nostalgic fans. There is no legacy to ruin. Second, basically you're saying that the oops performance at the 2000 vmas was ruined by the POM performance. Like wtf. Third, on a different note, we all know Britney well, and the problem is not if she performs a song or not, unfortunately :ehidk:

I just want to have fun. Britney performing protected would have been fun. Even with an awful choreography, it would have been fun to criticize. Britney performing boys 373628th time is less fun. Even to criticize. 

I just don't get the "keep the legacy intact" point and I'm actually happy not to understand it at all :ipass: or I probably wouldn't be a britney fan.

And yes I love protected so don't come for me saying that I can't understand the 2001 nostalgia :angietea:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and that's the same reasoning behind people wanting her to retire since years ago

I think, there are certain things that shouldn't be changed, like some original choreos. In my opinion, Slave, Toxic and if it was performed, Overprotected should keep their original choreos at least 80% of it. The new set, the new outfits and the new Britney should be enough to make them feel revamped.

But of course there's always room for new stuff, but I think that's what newer songs are for, so she can come up with completely new routines for songs that haven't been performed before. 

Personally, I was ready for 

"I need TIME"  - * Britney points to her wrist to an imaginary watch *

"(LOVE)" - *makes a heart shape with her hands *

"I need SPACE - * points to the sky while half crouching*

"This is it" - *double chest explosion*

I think it would've been pretty fun :raven:

3 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Omg that's so accurate :imdying: I would have loved it

43 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

:airpls::wontcry::gloria:

The problem is that current Brintey ruins all of her old choreos and when she does new choreo its 98% garbage.

Boys used to be an amazing performance... now its almost always the worst part of the show.

Me against the music used to be amazing... now it looks like an impersonator trying to do the choreo

Slave used to be my favorite performance... since OHT they were all just ok or bad.

Toxic used to be impressive (even if it was just the ending part in the tour) ... It was ok during TCSBS but horrible since.

So yeah Britney tends to ruin her legacy because everything is lackluster, uninspired and lame compared to her past. So seeing her ruin even more songs that we  used to love would hurt. :mhm:

1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

:gloria:

1 hour ago, Filippo said:

I just want to have fun. Britney performing protected would have been fun. Even with an awful choreography, it would have been fun to criticize. Britney performing boys 373628th time is less fun. Even to criticize. 

But she doesnt do any choreos now, just walking on stage, playing sing language. 

On 1/30/2019 at 11:23 PM, The Greatest Show said:

The problem is that current Brintey ruins all of her old choreos and when she does new choreo its 98% garbage.

Boys used to be an amazing performance... now its almost always the worst part of the show.

Me against the music used to be amazing... now it looks like an impersonator trying to do the choreo

Slave used to be my favorite performance... since OHT they were all just ok or bad.

Toxic used to be impressive (even if it was just the ending part in the tour) ... It was ok during TCSBS but horrible since.

So yeah Britney tends to ruin her legacy because everything is lackluster, uninspired and lame compared to her past. So seeing her ruin even more songs that we  used to love would hurt. :mhm:

Sorry for the late reply :hiii:

Mmm I still don't get it. I don't get how a performance could "ruin a song". You'll still have your favourite visuals to associate to a song, even after a bad performance. Like, I still like baby despite all the performances that didn't go well, and if I think of baby I think of the iconic video. I also like TTWE despite the fact that I don't like any visual or performance we had. In general, if I don't like a performance, I just stop watching. But I don't really feel hurt, or change my feeling towards the song. And I don't care about its "legacy", I am not even sure that most of these songs have legacies

More generally, I think that the reasoning behind this legacy thing is absurd, because it is based on the possibility that someone could be forever perfect. I mean, nobody is, not even for a second. The important, for me, is that you do well when you do well.

Most of us grew up with Britney from Baby so we have many memories of different parts of her career. 

My thoughts don’t change on the good stuff but some fans don’t want to see her ruin things that she used to do great. It’s painful to see. 

For example Pom from Circus is one of my fav acts from Circus but now I never want to see that song performed again because it was slaughtered during POM in Vegas. I still love Circus one but I don’t want to suffer through it being performed soon. Let it recover from the slaughter a bit. 

So everyone has great memories of Protected from DWAD and Onyx so they don’t want to see current Britney deliver a tragic performance. 

Her legacy has been ruined in certain aspects though. She used to be that ***** that ppl were so intrigued to see perform. Now that has changed greatly. So yes things can ruin images and views. Obviously not completely because I just bought her slave funko and that performance legacy still lives on but overall her legacy as a performer is tainted now. 

Archived