Cardi B Lands Las Vegas Residency

1 hour ago, DignifiedLove said:

Again, I see it as more of an actual paradigm shift rather than ‘Britney’s impact’, keeping in mind that Britney was the first successful young pop star in a while when she launched.

Britney just happened to be the first YOUNGER pop artist to launch a residency. I see your point and valid argument but I feel, had Britney not stepped in, someone other pop star would have filled in the void.

Again, I’m not disagreeing with what you said but rather that I feel like it’s a reach when an artist from an entire different caliber like Cardi B or Drake comes to Vegas and suddenly Britney fans are perched behind their keyboard stating “her impact”. It just seems foolish.

If anything, Cardi is the one with only 1 album out, less than 2 years into her career, launching a residency. That has never been done before and I wouldn’t be surprised if the future of Vegas residencies is modeled after Cardi B.

I want to understand your  point, and I kinda do, but don't agree. 

First of all, you said Celine had a 13 year old career, but didn't she start since the 80's? :rude2me:  But independently of that, I have to be honest, besides My Heart Will Go On, I have never heard any other song by her. I don't know what she did before or after that, but she reached legend status with that song and I would be surprised if she ever surpassed the success of that song (you'll tell me).

What I mean is, the fact that I didn't know her music isn't a valid point, I know, but as someone that used to watch MTV all the time and the daily countdowns, and weekly countdowns, etc, I NEVER saw any Celine Dion video ever again or heard any of her songs on the radio. I knew her as the legend she was, because of Titanic, but she wasn't that popular anymore by 2003. And it doesn't have to do anything with age, because Madonna did appear on MTV and all these countdowns and on the radio, as well as Michael Jackson (at least his last album). Michael and Madonna, were still active, were still popular and competing against the newer acts. Celine wasn't there. 

How many people mocked Britney when she announced a residency in 2013? It was just the imminent announcement that her career was done. And as @ralphcornio said, that 5 years later Britney's career is where it is, was just a sad coincidence, because that wasn't the immediate effect. The thing is, after Britney's residency, nobody mocked JLo, or Ricky Martin, or Bruno Mars or Lady Gaga or Drake or Cardi for getting a residency as well. If Britney didn't change that perspective or that misconception that people had about Vegas residencies, then tell me who did? Not Celine, I'm sure about that, because again, when Britney announced her residency, a lot of people raised their eyebrows, including most of Britney fans.

You say it was a matter of time before any other artist had their residency. Well, I'm not sure about JLo running to get a residency. I mean, the truth is, nobody had dared before to do it without the fear of being seen as hasbeens. Probably Mariah would have done it, but she would've seen as hasbeen, like, totally, and nobody will fight with that. Now, even Mariah's residency has been seen under a different light (thanks to Britney) because hers occurred in this day and age when Vegas residencies are now cool. Even BSB kinda came back and sort of revived their career.

I think, and you're right in what you mean, that if Lady Gaga did it first, or JLo, or I don't know, Rihanna or Katy Perry, the effect would've been the same (being too positive because I still don't think they have the catalogue of hits to support one). Any of those would've opened the doors to younger artists and younger audiences, and Britney would've most likely followed the trend. But Britney did it first, for whatever reason, so the following events will always be attributed to her, there's nothing foolish about it.  :whatitellu:

I also agree that probably Drake or Cardi B aren't even thinking about Britney Spears' residency when they're signing their contracts, but if these hotels are suddenly looking for a hot, current artist is thanks to the impact of Britney and her residency, even if Cardi and Drake aren't aware of it. Or why didn't they do it before?

And Cardi's "achievement" of being the youngest, or just having an album, I don't think is that important, TODAY, because it's just obvious that now hotel chains are just looking for the hottest, most current, most successful artist now that they've seen what happened with Britney. They're not looking anymore to get a legendary artist or band. If they can have Maluma, they'll get Maluma, if they can have one of those Lil Pumps or Lil ***** or whatever, they'll have them, because they've discovered that's where the money is right now. They learned with Britney that the formula works, so they're just competing to make the best implementation of that formula.

Do you really think Cardi B would've had any chance of getting a residency, with the kind of "music" she does, and with just one album, if Britney hadn't had hers first? Let's say Cardi B was around in 2013, you think that just because of "Celine's impact" she would've been able to get a residency under her circumstances? Probably she would've, but just her and her grandma would've known about it, and it wouldn't have made any impact in the music scene. It would've been like the equivalent of Britney's M+M tour.

And I have to be fair, the fact that Cardi is getting there, is thanks to Britney, and all the residencies that happened after that. Having a long, respected career isn't important anymore to get a Vegas residency, but all the opposite. Now artists have to have at least one residency to prove they're important. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years new acts will directly start their careers with a Vegas residency after just one single, to cement their status as entertainers. 

• Like 9
  • Super Mods
1 hour ago, DignifiedLove said:

Again, I see it as more of an actual paradigm shift rather than ‘Britney’s impact’, keeping in mind that Britney was the first successful young pop star in a while when she launched.

Britney just happened to be the first YOUNGER pop artist to launch a residency. I see your point and valid argument but I feel, had Britney not stepped in, someone other pop star would have filled in the void.

Again, I’m not disagreeing with what you said but rather that I feel like it’s a reach when an artist from an entire different caliber like Cardi B or Drake comes to Vegas and suddenly Britney fans are perched behind their keyboard stating “her impact”. It just seems foolish.

If anything, Cardi is the one with only 1 album out, less than 2 years into her career, launching a residency. That has never been done before and I wouldn’t be surprised if the future of Vegas residencies is modeled after Cardi B.

I appreciate you for not being a britard but you seem to be the one reaching. Celine, although is known as pop singer, she caters more to the adult audience and more adult contemporary hence why it isn’t a big deal when she did it cuz the Vegas scene is mostly catered to adults and seniors who are mostly the one spending money. 

Your responses in this topic seems to just try to discredit Britney anyway possible. She has done a lot of wrong things and rightful to call it out but give credit where it’s due. She was the youngest performer on the strip at the time and the media credits her for starting a new trend and shaking up the Vegas scene. I don’t know where you are going with the whole if it wasn’t Britney, another pop girl would have stepped in, she just happened to be the one like what kind of response is that? Then which popstar then? No one else did but Britney so of course it’s her impact. Why does that bother you so much that she set the trend? All the top media outlets credit her for turning Vegas around and bringing in a new crowd that Vegas much needed and paving the way for other artists to do it and here you go saying it could have been anyone...yeah but it didn’t  Britney did it. 

• Love 1
  • Like 7
2 hours ago, DignifiedLove said:

Well Britney came and the rest is history

Britney opened a new avenue that most were not thinking about

Round of applause for Britney being brave, bold and courageous 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, DignifiedLove said:

Um...Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, Cher, Elton John, Santana, Bette Mildler, Shania, Rod Stewart, Prince and many more were doing residencies way before Britney and yet they want to claim that nothing had happened for 10 years. :deadbanana:Britney stans are so delusional

None of them have the youthful appeal

3 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

First of all, you said Celine had a 13 year old career, but didn't she start since the 80's? :rude2me:  But independently of that, I have to be honest, besides My Heart Will Go On, I have never heard any other song by her. I don't know what she did before or after that, but she reached legend status with that song and I would be surprised if she ever surpassed the success of that song (you'll tell me).

What I mean is, the fact that I didn't know her music isn't a valid point, I know, but as someone that used to watch MTV all the time and the daily countdowns, and weekly countdowns, etc, I NEVER saw any Celine Dion video ever again or heard any of her songs on the radio. I knew her as the legend she was, because of Titanic, but she wasn't that popular anymore by 2003. And it doesn't have to do anything with age, because Madonna did appear on MTV and all these countdowns and on the radio, as well as Michael Jackson (at least his last album). Michael and Madonna, were still active, were still popular and competing against the newer acts. Celine wasn't there. 

How many people mocked Britney when she announced a residency in 2013? It was just the imminent announcement that her career was done. And as @ralphcornio said, that 5 years later Britney's career is where it is, was just a sad coincidence, because that wasn't the immediate effect. The thing is, after Britney's residency, nobody mocked JLo, or Ricky Martin, or Bruno Mars or Lady Gaga or Drake or Cardi for getting a residency as well. If Britney didn't change that perspective or that misconception that people had about Vegas residencies, then tell me who did? Not Celine, I'm sure about that, because again, when Britney announced her residency, a lot of people raised their eyebrows, including most of Britney fans.

You say it was a matter of time before any other artist had their residency. Well, I'm not sure about JLo running to get a residency. I mean, the truth is, nobody had dared before to do it without the fear of being seen as hasbeens. Probably Mariah would have done it, but she would've seen as hasbeen, like, totally, and nobody will fight with that. Now, even Mariah's residency has been seen under a different light (thanks to Britney) because hers occurred in this day and age when Vegas residencies are now cool. Even BSB kinda came back and sort of revived their career.

I think, and you're right in what you mean, that if Lady Gaga did it first, or JLo, or I don't know, Rihanna or Katy Perry, the effect would've been the same (being too positive because I still don't think they have the catalogue of hits to support one). Any of those would've opened the doors to younger artists and younger audiences, and Britney would've most likely followed the trend. But Britney did it first, for whatever reason, so the following events will always be attributed to her, there's nothing foolish about it.  :whatitellu:

I also agree that probably Drake or Cardi B aren't even thinking about Britney Spears' residency when they're signing their contracts, but if these hotels are suddenly looking for a hot, current artist is thanks to the impact of Britney and her residency, even if Cardi and Drake aren't aware of it. Or why didn't they do it before?

And Cardi's "achievement" of being the youngest, or just having an album, I don't think is that important, TODAY, because it's just obvious that now hotel chains are just looking for the hottest, most current, most successful artist now that they've seen what happened with Britney. They're not looking anymore to get a legendary artist or band. If they can have Maluma, they'll get Maluma, if they can have one of those Lil Pumps or Lil ***** or whatever, they'll have them, because they've discovered that's where the money is right now. They learned with Britney that the formula works, so they're just competing to make the best implementation of that formula.

Do you really think Cardi B would've had any chance of getting a residency, with the kind of "music" she does, and with just one album, if Britney hadn't had hers first? Let's say Cardi B was around in 2013, you think that just because of "Celine's impact" she would've been able to get a residency under her circumstances? Probably she would've, but just her and her grandma would've known about it, and it wouldn't have made any impact in the music scene. It would've been like the equivalent of Britney's M+M tour.

And I have to be fair, the fact that Cardi is getting there, is thanks to Britney, and all the residencies that happened after that. Having a long, respected career isn't important anymore to get a Vegas residency, but all the opposite. Now artists have to have at least one residency to prove they're important. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years new acts will directly start their careers with a Vegas residency after just one single, to cement their status as entertainers. 

This has got to be the longest post I ever read on exhale!

But yes, was gonna reply with that but I was lazy, the part on Celine. She has legend status SOLELY because of My Heart Will Go On, she doesn't have any other globally famous or at even averagely famous songs. That being said she falls right with the has beens / retired / old / other reasons residents category Vegas had before Britney came in.

• Like 4
35 minutes ago, ralphcornio said:

This has got to be the longest post I ever read on exhale!

But yes, was gonna reply with that but I was lazy, the part on Celine. She has legend status SOLELY because of My Heart Will Go On, she doesn't have any other globally famous or at even averagely famous songs. That being said she falls right with the has beens / retired / old / other reasons residents category Vegas had before Britney came in.

didn't expect anyone to read it :blol:

• Like 1
8 hours ago, DignifiedLove said:

If anything, Cardi is the aone with only 1 album out, less than 2 years into her career, launching a residency. That has never been done before and I wouldn’t be surprised if the future of Vegas residencies is modeled after Cardi B.

How silly.

It's basically like saying 'i'm not going to credit edison for creating the light bulb because SOMEONE would have invented it if he didn't!'

Okay? He STILL invented it though and thus deserves credit. Another young pop star could very well have done it if Britney hadn't and changed the landscape of Las Vegas but in this universe it was Britney that did that. No one is saying Britney is the only person who could have done it - we're just simply stating the fact that she happened to be the one that did. 

People can think a lot of fans on here are always on the reach to give her credit but at the same time there's a lot of people on here like yourself that equally want to undermine every good thing she does. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

girl i'm-

:deadbanana:

• Like 2
10 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

I agree